The Student Room Group

Court work experience?

I have, from time to time, heard of people doing work experience placements shadowing judges/magistrates or doing administive court work, but I'm not really sure how I'd go about looking into it as they're not like firms where there's a clear point of contact and application process. Has anyone done something like that? Would it just be a matter of me sending a cover letter and CV to my local courts, and would there be any point in trying given that I don't have a law degree yet?
Reply 1
numb3rb0y
I have, from time to time, heard of people doing work experience placements shadowing judges/magistrates or doing administive court work, but I'm not really sure how I'd go about looking into it as they're not like firms where there's a clear point of contact and application process. Has anyone done something like that? Would it just be a matter of me sending a cover letter and CV to my local courts, and would there be any point in trying given that I don't have a law degree yet?

You have a right to just stroll into any court and watch from the Public Gallery. Can be quite interesting and certainly makes for an unusual day out.

A lot of the time it can be pretty petty stuff, but there will be more interesting things now and again. You can see the objecting and debating and sentencing and all that goodness :smile:

I'm not even doing law, my Dad and I just walked past and he fancied broadening my mind :P
I have just finished work experience in a Mag. Court and its pretty interesting, although I wanted to do more nitty gritty stuff. But for confidentiality reasons I wasn't allowed to look in files and etc which is understandable.

My advice: ring or email someone @ the Court and enquire about work experience. :smile: (its what I did)

PS: You don't need to send CV/Covering Letter - just enquire. Also it doesn't matter you're not doing a Law degree.
CassCassCassie
You could also look into shadowing a barrister, if that's where your interests lie. I did this for work experience and it was so interesting, I got to read old casenotes and files, watch cases, go out for LOADS of coffee breaks :wink:

You'll have to write, and be persistent, because as I found out most chambers only let uni-level applicants in for work experience. But it was really, really interesting, so go for it :smile:

I wouldn't mind shadowing someone (CPS ideally, but one year waiting list im stuck on). Perhaps if I write to a Criminal lawyer, I could get in that way???? . . .
Reply 4
I completed a work experience placement at a local magistrates court whilst I was in my A2 year at college.

I got it through the college work placement service where I just had one appointment and they arranged it thereafter.

It was really interesting and well worth doing whether you want to pursue a legal career or not.

It only lasted 2 days but it was something extra to put on my personal statement when i eventually applied for university.

But like the other guy says, you can just go into the public gallery of any crown or magistrates court and observe from their and still put this on your CV.
Reply 5
Its easier than finding a placement at a solicitors office or barristers chambers as the college work placement team told me that these spaces were rare and very competitive.
I managed to get 2 days work shadowing a solicitor advocate at a criminal defence firm. I sent off about 60 CVs and covering letters to firms in my area and the criminal firm was just one of the three who got back to me. Good luck xx
Reply 7
If you want to shadow a judge (marshalling), pretty much all you need to do is pick the court you are interested in and call them up, explain what you are looking for and they'll put you through to the correct person there if you can't ascertain who that is any other way.

It worked for me and they're often pretty welcoming to student placements. Good luck!
Reply 8
emerley
If you want to shadow a judge (marshalling), pretty much all you need to do is pick the court you are interested in and call them up, explain what you are looking for and they'll put you through to the correct person there if you can't ascertain who that is any other way.

It worked for me and they're often pretty welcoming to student placements. Good luck!

Does that also include the high court (Royal court of justice) in london or just the magistrate courts and such?
Reply 9
_Ariel_
Does that also include the high court (Royal court of justice) in london or just the magistrate courts and such?

I'm actually not sure I'm afraid. You could try finding a phone number and calling them to ask?
Reply 10
Im only in Year 10, and i just secured placement at a crown court. All you have to do is ring and enquire and then they'll help you from there on.
Hello my name is Melissa Skelton I'm looking for a work placement for my daughter she would like a career in law Sophie will be 15 in march an has been through a court hearing before as a witness she wants to help children that has been through the same as her, if you could please call me on 01782850900 thank you
Hi. Just wondering whether it would be possible to access work experience in year 12 at a law court through only visiting in the public gallery. I know that it can be put on your CV but I am not sure whether it counts as genuine work experience.
I think as you are in year 12 it is okay to count it as work experience but it would be good if you can get a mini-pupillage later as that counts as formal legal work experience. If you need help applying for minis, drop me a message
Original post by RarefiedBus9512
Hi. Just wondering whether it would be possible to access work experience in year 12 at a law court through only visiting in the public gallery. I know that it can be put on your CV but I am not sure whether it counts as genuine work experience.
Original post by hello5922
I think as you are in year 12 it is okay to count it as work experience but it would be good if you can get a mini-pupillage later as that counts as formal legal work experience. If you need help applying for minis, drop me a message

hey its been 4 years since this post but i'm also curious about court work experience and what do you mean by a mini-pupillage

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending