The Student Room Group

Still feeling weird four days after drinking

Four days ago I had my formal and afterwards I drank more than I usually would. I didn't get a hangover the next day (I usually don't) but I still feel weird and disconnected even though it's been a while? It's Monday now and the drinking happened on Friday night, and even though it's been a few days, my concentration and balance isn't as good as it usually is. My body feels slightly numb and I've never felt this way before. Talking to people feels strange and I can't focus properly on what they're saying. Reading also hasn't been registering in my brain and I have to re-read something several times before it finally clicks. I experience everything I do but only after I do something, I recognise that I've actually done it. I constantly feel semi-drunk and I'm scared because I don't know how long it will last. Even sneezing or coughing feels weird and I constantly feel dazed. My concentration and memory is really off at the moment and I'm freaking out. If you have experienced this feeling please help, how long does it last and why is this happening?

Scroll to see replies

Could something else have caused your symptoms? Have you been drinking water and eating well, sleeping well?

It is unusual for a hangover to last a few days. If you still feel the same a day or two later, you could go to your GP just to be on the safe side.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Could something else have caused your symptoms? Have you been drinking water and eating well, sleeping well?

It is unusual for a hangover to last a few days. If you still feel the same a day or two later, you could go to your GP just to be on the safe side.

It could be because I haven’t been eating much but I’m not sure if that’s the case or not, I’ve had a lot of sleep also, so I don’t think it’s sleep deprivation but I’ll try eating more than I usually would
Reply 3
Did the symtoms go away after? How long did it take because im experiencing the exact same for 4 days now!! Its horrible :frown:
Original post by Tinii
Did the symtoms go away after? How long did it take because im experiencing the exact same for 4 days now!! Its horrible :frown:

You can feel like crap for up to two weeks after drinking depending on how bad your drinking was. After a several months of week long binges with only a few sober days occasionally, when I stopped I felt horrendous. But getting drunk for one night if you're not usually a drinker isn't going to do that.

How much do you drink? Are you an alcoholic?
You can feel like trash for years after being a party animal lmao. Remember you're literally drinking poison that can cause brain damage and damage every organ in your body. Your body has to spend twice as long healing all the damage you've done.

I literally just took a year off from life to just chill and let myself recover from **** like that, as well as mental health, depression, etc. (not just partying / drug related stuff).

Your body always heals itself over time though so if you don't want to feel like trash just take things easy for how ever long it takes. And maybe don't get wasted again. Partying is fun but if you want that lifestyle you will feel physically trash until you quit for a few months.
(edited 5 years ago)
Well done Chicken :smile:
Have you seen your GP about how you are feeling ? Not a doctor so don’t have any idea but may be a good start , been a while since this was posted are you feeling better now ?

Helpful links for support lines

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/crisis-services/useful-contacts/#.XCjgEKSnzYU

Don’t be alarmed or worried by words like crisis here you don’t need to be j crisis to call ( though it’s ok if you are) you can talk about anything you want
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
In my first year of uni I experienced this. It started after 2 consecutive nights of drinking. I woke up and felt fine, but as the day went on I constantly felt tipsy and dazed. Tbh this lasted 6 months. Hopefully yours will be less. Over the 6 months, I sort of got used to it and drinking always made it temporarily worse. The only thing that made it better was a big night out where I got really drunk. I woke up hazy again like the past 6 months, went to the libs and realised I could focus and wall normally again. I no longer felt numb. Nowadays, if I drink too much this feeling stays for weeks and then gets better. All I can say is stick it out, it will get better. Always look on the bright side, youre not disabled, blind or paralysed from the neck down.
Reply 9
(Original post by Pachuco)You can feel like crap for up to two weeks after drinking depending on how bad your drinking was. After a several months of week long binges with only a few sober days occasionally, when I stopped I felt horrendous. But getting drunk for one night if you're not usually a drinker isn't going to do that.

How much do you drink? Are you an alcoholic?
Lol i rarely ever drink. Pretty much maybe once a year . I drank a lot that day so yea...No i’m not an alcoholic
A four day hangover and you drink once a year? Do you have any other health problems? @Tinii
Well drugs are always stronger if it's your first time.

After you do it every day your body builds up a tolerence.
Reply 12
I have this right now after Friday night it’s now Monday and I’m really freaking out and spaced out I don’t know what to do please help if anyone knows anything
After about a week or so it slowly went away for me. Its a horrible feeling but it will go away and just try not to worry or have anxiety.
Original post by Qwew111
I have this right now after Friday night it’s now Monday and I’m really freaking out and spaced out I don’t know what to do please help if anyone knows anything
If you feel unwell best thing to do is seek advice from a doctor and go from there . If you are a driver then don’t drink any alcohol before or while driving or if you are still under the effects of alcohol . Don’t take drugs before or while driving or at all really would be my advise to look after yourself . When you are driving do t use your phone / eat or drink or do anything that can distract you and if you are on medication check with your doctor before you drive just some general safety tips there it’s important to keep yourself and others safe . Take care and if you are still feeling unwell doctor is best to go stay safe eveyone
Hi, how long did it take for your symptoms to go away? It’s been 4 days for me. I’m really scared.
Reply 16
Hey, after about a week and a bit I felt completely better. I think seeing a GP would be a waste of time unless your symptoms have been there for about 2/3 weeks, that’s when you should see a GP. Just try not to go too heavy on the drinking next time, i honestly had way too much and ive never had that much ever since and this has never happened to me again. I’m a bit late but hopefully you’re alright now :smile:
How long did it take to go away
Original post by lfullner
How long did it take to go away

Please don’t bump old threads
Original post by Sammylou40
Please don’t bump old threads

Sry I was just wondering how long it took to go away for you

Quick Reply

Latest