The Student Room Group

IBS caused by Anxiety

Does anyone have any tips for controlling IBS caused by my anxiety? I get the feeling to go to the toilet all the time when I leave the house. Any ways to help?
???
Original post by Anonymous
Does anyone have any tips for controlling IBS caused by my anxiety? I get the feeling to go to the toilet all the time when I leave the house. Any ways to help?

Sorry I'm not too sure I can help you as I don't know too much about Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Do you wear pads? That way you could pee into them, and simply go to public toilets knowing there's no pee stain / marks and change it.

Additonally, if your feeling anxious / paranoid, tie your jacket around your waist so no one can see if you needed to go to the toilet. :smile:
I also suffer from IBS casued by anxiety. Are you currently in school? Peppermint oil tablets have been helpful for me, they help to regulate bowel movements.
Reply 4
Original post by CrazyKieth
I also suffer from IBS casued by anxiety. Are you currently in school? Peppermint oil tablets have been helpful for me, they help to regulate bowel movements.

Yeah I’m in school
I have the exact same problem and my symptoms are also caused by anxiety and stress, I have Stress induced IBS. I have really bad gas and I have to hold it in because I'm scared of knocking everyone out lol! I also have cramps and bloating. I went to the doctor today and she prescribed buscopan (for cramps) and peppermint oil capsules for flatulence. Although its only been a few hours, it seems to be helping :smile:
Yeah I’m in school
Also I don't know if it's just me but isn't the school environment the worst for IBS?! It's a nightmare holding in farts and trying to tell if you farted or not. People are so judgemental which doesn't help and you're so paranoid and in so much pain
Yeah I’m in school
Also I don't know if it's just me but isn't the school environment the worst for IBS?! It's a nightmare holding in farts and trying to tell if you farted or not. People are so judgemental which doesn't help and you're so paranoid and in so much pain

Omfg that's literally the story of my life, I can't wait to finish school ...

Quick Reply

Latest