The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan criticised for taking holiday in middle of knife crime crisis

Scroll to see replies

Trying to point blame towards Sadiq Khan just deflects from our Conservative government and their soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime ideology.
The function of the British government is not to solve crime, it is to manage the law and incentive the police to arrest those who refuse to comply with those laws. It has been this way since the beginning.

Blaming the government does nothing; they literally cannot do much of anything to solve the problem. Instead of complaining, provide practical solutions to the problem yourself.
Original post by Qup
The function of the British government is not to solve crime, it is to manage the law and incentive the police to arrest those who refuse to comply with those laws. It has been this way since the beginning.

Blaming the government does nothing; they literally cannot do much of anything to solve the problem. Instead of complaining, provide practical solutions to the problem yourself.

Who sets the budget for the underfunded police force? Or how about the law courts that are falling to pieces due to lack of funding?

I guess that has nothing to do with the government.
Original post by akbar0123
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sadiq-khan-criticised-for-taking-minibreak-after-teen-girl-murdered-a4081896.html

Health secretary Matt Hancock has criticised Sadiq Khan for not cancelling a holiday to Morocco after a 17 year old girl was killed in East London.

One is permitted to take a break from their work once in a while. The stabbings in London is a continuous issue, one of which Mr Khan needs the assistance of MDT. This job cannot be tackled alone.

He’s got a right to be on holiday. People are going to complain and moan. Just another slow news day I presume.
moments like this make me long for the next mayoral election (though not keen on the Conservative candidate either :s-smilie:)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
moments like this make me long for the next mayoral election (though not keen on the Conservative candidate either :s-smilie:)

Why does a mayor going on holiday bother you?
Original post by MiszShorTea765
Why does a mayor going on holiday bother you?

was venting at his entire tenure lol - not a great mayor by any stretch of the imagination
was venting at his entire tenure lol - not a great mayor by any stretch of the imagination

I wasn’t commenting on his character as an individual. What I was pointing out is, he’s doing what he needs to do. If needs a break so be it. If londoners are so bothered to complain and nitpick, I give you a challenge to do his job for a day,

Guaranteed you will hand your resignation letter in at the end of the day.
I wasn’t commenting on his character as an individual. What I was pointing out is, he’s doing what he needs to do. If needs a break so be it. If londoners are so bothered to complain and nitpick, I give you a challenge to do his job for a day,

Guaranteed you will hand your resignation letter in at the end of the day.

lol i'm not running for mayor, he stands on this platform to act as our mayor, and look forward to the end of his term.
(not the best time for a holiday publically, but yes, is needed)
lol i'm not running for mayor, he stands on this platform to act as our mayor, and look forward to the end of his term.
(not the best time for a holiday publically, but yes, is needed)

Which is brave. Not many are skilled to tackle the whole of London. Those that are often seemed to be put into the spotlight of ‘not knowing what they’re doing’.

Either way, it’s his job, he has a right to recuperate and return to work in a manner where he can tackle tasks head on without being constantly stressed out which inevitably would lead to greater errors on his behalf.

Holidays or major mistakes? Which ones more detrimental?
Which is brave. Not many are skilled to tackle the whole of London. Those that are often seemed to be put into the spotlight of ‘not knowing what they’re doing’.

Either way, it’s his job, he has a right to recuperate and return to work in a manner where he can tackle tasks head on without being constantly stressed out which inevitably would lead to greater errors on his behalf.

Holidays or major mistakes? Which ones more detrimental?

skilled to tackle the whole of London - are we still talking about Mr Khan here? lol

Holidays or major mistakes? Which ones more detrimental? - from him? Both :smile:
skilled to tackle the whole of London - are we still talking about Mr Khan here? lol

Holidays or major mistakes? Which ones more detrimental? - from him? Both :smile:

Come on, it has to take talent to tackle every aspect of London. It’s an utter mess.

How is a holiday more detrimental for Mr Khan then a major mistake?
Come on, it has to take talent to tackle every aspect of London. It’s an utter mess.

How is a holiday more detrimental for Mr Khan then a major mistake?

as in holidays are needed, but doubt we'll see much change from the man. Yes it needs dedication though not if he's doing terribly lol
Original post by AperfectBalance
Or stop the police using their resources to tackle stupid 'crimes'. giving the police a trillion pounds to do as they please would result in a trillion pounds of useless officers

Well no. If the police maintained the same proportion time spent on what you consider 'pointless crimes' and normal crimes, then if the police force got a larger budget, then the amount of police officers doing more useful stuff will increase.

The reality is most likely that if police officers stopped enforcing 'internet crimes' (which is what you are most likely referring to), it is unlikely that it will solve the police's manpower issue because I have a strong suspicion that the amount of time that officers actually spend on these crimes are oversensationalised and exaggerated.

What police officers have said themselves is that the waste a lot of time from beaurcracy and filling out forms. You may think, great, let get rid of them, but that could have undue consenquences: e.g arrests being unrecorded. They have also said that due to cuts, at least in london, they had to close down some stations. This means that there is reduced police precence in the affected regions. Another problem they face is that have too few detectives because it is such a **** job. A lot of weight is put on your sholders because your reputation can be destroyed if you **** up, not to mention that you work for many more hours than the average constable.

The short term solution is more funding. The longer term solution is less breaucracy, etc. If you don't want the police to enforce on what you say as 'pointless laws'. (albeit people's perception of pointless laws differ), then you should be asking the government to amend or completely change the law entirely, not the police.
as in holidays are needed, but doubt we'll see much change from the man. Yes it needs dedication though not if he's doing terribly lol

Doubt the criticism is assisting him in anyway.
Doubt the criticism is assisting him in anyway.

he's not an autocrat, he serves to listen to the concerns of Londoners and well as taking on any criticism to see if it is reasonable - same with any other political position loool
he's not an autocrat, he serves to listen to the concerns of Londoners and well as taking on any criticism to see if it is reasonable - same with any other political position loool

Positive criticism are no issue. Yet the negative ones are a huge concern. Forget helping the mayor it doesn’t help anyone to air negative criticism.

Either be constructive or let people do your work for you on their behalf.

‘Simples’.
Positive criticism are no issue. Yet the negative ones are a huge concern. Forget helping the mayor it doesn’t help anyone to air negative criticism.

Either be constructive or let people do your work for you on their behalf.

‘Simples’.

I see the Theresa May reference there :wink:

Not providing criticism in his face, just will be glad to vote in the upcoming elections for the Conservative candidate and not him again :smile:
Original post by akbar0123
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sadiq-khan-criticised-for-taking-minibreak-after-teen-girl-murdered-a4081896.html

Health secretary Matt Hancock has criticised Sadiq Khan for not cancelling a holiday to Morocco after a 17 year old girl was killed in East London.

Its a very cheap attack on the mayor of London.

I do find it rather funny when people blame the mayor of London for the spate of attacks when this kind of stuff isn't even in his remit.
I see the Theresa May reference there :wink:

Not providing criticism in his face, just will be glad to vote in the upcoming elections for the Conservative candidate and not him again :smile:

What is hilarious is that this isn’t even Mr Khans field of work to be concerned about. Yes he’s the mayor of London, and he has an obligation to keep londoners safe, yet it cannot be biased.

The police are in force for a reason. The government are in power and who knows what strategies they’re playing at?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending