The Student Room Group

Is buying a £600 car worth it?

Scroll to see replies

That is a terrible idea. If you are able to learn in a manual but don't, you will be really putting yourself at a disadvantage. If you learn and pass your test in an automatic, then you are not allowed to drive a manual.
Original post by Rainfall
Sorry not learning manual
It’s automatic, engine size 19cc it says

No it isn't.

1900 is possible, though unlikely.

If you don't know what you're buying you might as well pile the £600 up in notes and set fire to it.
Original post by CMSMITH96
That is a terrible idea. If you are able to learn in a manual but don't, you will be really putting yourself at a disadvantage. If you learn and pass your test in an automatic, then you are not allowed to drive a manual.

I’m too tired for a manual so idc tbh. It thanks anyway
Original post by Drewski
No it isn't.

1900 is possible, though unlikely.

No it isn’t ? That’s what it says it’s actually 750
Reply 43
A month??? 1500 a month?????

What does moped mean ?

No a year, I said annual.

I also said it might be much more than that Check potential quotes on comparethemarket or similar.

A moped is a motorbike with a very small engine. I suspect you mean 1900cc not 19cc. :nodots:
No problem, just trying to offer advice. Do you have any further details about the car? If it is auto, I would even more suggest taking someone with you as they can have some nasty issues. Manuals can too but you really don't want to get into an auto with issues because it will become a money pit.
I’m too tired for a manual so idc tbh. It thanks anyway

No it isn’t ? That’s what it says it’s actually 750
Original post by Doonesbury
No a year, I said annual.

I also said it might be much more than that Check potential quotes on comparethemarket or similar.

A moped is a motorbike with a very small engine. I suspect you mean 1900cc not 19cc. :nodots:

Yeah that’s perfectly fine. 1500 a year is decent

I’m just copying what it says on the ad
(edited 5 years ago)
Can you maybe post a link to the ad?

No problem, just trying to offer advice. Do you have any further details about the car? If it is auto, I would even more suggest taking someone with you as they can have some nasty issues. Manuals can too but you really don't want to get into an auto with issues because it will become a money pit.

Fuel type = diesel
Can you maybe post a link to the ad?

ppl on this site are that petty they would probs go buy it and take it from me!!!

Ah okay why not

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vauxhall-zafira-design-1.9-diesel-/1331469425#
Reply 49

You'd be happy with £1500 a month??

So why not spend proper money on a reliable safe car?
You'd be happy with £1500 a month??

So why not spend proper money on a reliable safe car?

My bad, I meant a year . Here’s the link to the car for more information.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/vauxhall-zafira-design-1.9-diesel-/1331469425#
Reply 51
ppl on this site are that petty they would probs go buy it and take it from me!!!

Ah okay why not

No MOT... and needs work to pass it.

Walk away. Or rather, click away...
No MOT... and needs work to pass it.

Walk away. Or rather, click away...

oh. Was that the only problem?
Thank you! Ok, that is not a car for a first time driver. Do you have any driving experience at all? That is quite a big car for someone with no experience AND Zafiras are notorious for the engines setting on fire. Personally, I would avoid a Zafira completely. Also, the MOT is due to run out which leads me to believe it either needs work and they don't want to pay for it or they don't think it will pass an MOT. Also, the 'possible water pump leak' could turn out to be a few other things. It does look clean for its age so what I would suggest is taking someone to have a look at it, someone who knows what they are looking at and getting their opinion. Honestly, I do fear it may be too big for your first car as they are not exactly small.

Ah okay why not

Thank you! Ok, that is not a car for a first time driver. Do you have any driving experience at all? That is quite a big car for someone with no experience AND Zafiras are notorious for the engines setting on fire. Personally, I would avoid a Zafira completely. Also, the MOT is due to run out which leads me to believe it either needs work and they don't want to pay for it or they don't think it will pass an MOT. Also, the 'possible water pump leak' could turn out to be a few other things. It does look clean for its age so what I would suggest is taking someone to have a look at it, someone who knows what they are looking at and getting their opinion. Honestly, I do fear it may be too big for your first car as they are not exactly small.

I have no driving experience. Oh okay I think maybe I’ll get like a 2k car then
(edited 5 years ago)
Also, just so you know I am not talking rubbish.. Here is an article about said fires!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/zafira/93176/vauxhall-zafira-fires-over-31000-cars-from-original-recall-still-not-fixed
Also, just so you know I am not talking rubbish.. Here is an article about said fires!

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/zafira/93176/vauxhall-zafira-fires-over-31000-cars-from-original-recall-still-not-fixed

Yeah ok I get it
Keep looking, there are thousands of cars out there so you are bound to find one you like and that is suitable. Maybe start your lessons, see what your instructor has and if you like that or like the size of it. You could always then go for an older model or something similar.
Yeah ok I get it
Keep looking, there are thousands of cars out there so you are bound to find one you like and that is suitable. Maybe start your lessons, see what your instructor has and if you like that or like the size of it. You could always then go for an older model or something similar.

Oh okay I will thanks for your help
I currently have a VW Fox which I brought for £600 last march, getting rid off it in a couple of weeks, admittedly I didn't drive it all the time, but for the price I paid I could really not complain, plus the fact insurance without a black box was only 1.9K for a 18 year old first time driver was great, served me well, was brought with a few cracks and dents, however I did not mind, the car ran fantastically.

Quick Reply

Latest