The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liquidconfidence
It’s their choice, everyone’s views should be accepted regardless.

You seem to be missing the point that these parents are withdrawing their children because they specifically do not want them to be exposed to other views.
Original post by Professional G

Do you have any evidence or is it just conspiracy theories?

Simply go look at how The Old Testament says that drinking Alcohol and eating swine for example is prohibited, but The New Testament says you can.

That's Manipulating The Bible.
Original post by Khalid_
Are you really going to ignore all the insults I received from Atheists when I had a different opinion?!

You also said that those who disagree with this country, should leave. Therefore Atheists, who disagree with Britain, which is a Christian country according to you, should leave.

Yet I’m able to talk to atheists without insults? I wonder why....

Britain is a secular countries built on Christian laws. In that case, any other religion should be banned cause Christianity doesn’t believe in other faiths but guess what, they aren’t..

Do you agree with the secularity of this country?
Original post by Khalid_
Simply go look at how The Old Testament says that drinking Alcohol and eating swine for example is prohibited, but The New Testament says you can.

That's Manipulating The Bible.

Sorry man, but I could say that Islam has been tampered without any evidence but would you believe me, a non Muslim?

So why should I believe you?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Violet Femme
You seem to be missing the point that these parents are withdrawing their children because they specifically do not want them to be exposed to other views.

Yes and some parents don’t want their children to learn sex education, they end up being aware of it eventually. Personally, I don’t see what’s wrong with the parents not wanting their children being exposed to ‘other views’. I don’t agree with it but they should still be respected & they are within their rights to do so.

Some parents feel like the children are too young to learn about it & that is perfectly fine. Not everyone has to agree with homosexuality, but what they can’t be is homophobic. You have to understand that some cultures are against it and whilst it is a norm in this country, it’d be unreasonable to force parents to send their children to these workshops. Therefore, their views should be respected, regardless.
Homosexuality is a really big sin but really don’t think it’s fair for Muslims to be hating on people just because of their sexual preference. Because Muslims should be kind and I accept gay people and I’m British Muslim. But there are homophobes in every group

Britain is a secular countries built on Christian laws. In that case, any other religion should be banned cause Christianity doesn’t believe in other faiths but guess what, they aren’t..

Do you agree with the secularity of this country?

Evidence in the quran just like the bible 🙃.
Sorry man, but I could say that Islam has been tampered without any evidence but would you believe me, a non Muslim?

So why should I believe you?
Reply 27
Do you not think it's more backwards teaching children that they can be and identify however they want to. For example in Canada, young children are allowed to identify as either gender and parents who do not want to exercise their child's stupidity have their own children taken away from them. Normal liberals would be fine with this but don't see the almost 50% of these children who go through the process commit suicide.
There is also a campaign to stop the UK GVT wanting to teach sex education, including STI problems to young children, as young as 7 - shouldn't we teach them not to have sex in the first place.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/mar/04/birmingham-school-stops-lgbt-lessons-after-parent-protests

The most frustrating thing is that many UK Muslims have a real problem with bigotry towards LGBT people, with half believing homosexuality should be illegal.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

Sadly removing pupils from lessons which will challenge the views of their parents mean these children will likely share their parent's backwards values.

Of course, a percentage of these pupils will likely be gay themselves and may suffer with the bullying, isolation, mental health problems, suicide attempts, and unhappy relationships that are the norm when you are gay in a socially conservative environment.

It is also entirely self-defeating for the Muslim community. They often complain about being marginalised and discriminated against. Yet they, or at least the more socially conservative among them, are happy to display their intolerance towards LGBT people. As long as they hold such views, Muslims will find it difficult to integrate into British life.
"Stop generalising Muslims" - kind of becomes difficult when you have around 600 Muslim families pulling their kids out of an educational session...
Reply 29
Original post by Rainfall
Homosexuality is a really big sin but really don’t think it’s fair for Muslims to be hating on people just because of their sexual preference. Because Muslims should be kind and I accept gay people and I’m British Muslim. But there are homophobes in every group

Everything you said contradicts your first statement.
Original post by Khalid_
Are you really going to ignore all the insults I received from Atheists when I had a different opinion?!

You also said that those who disagree with this country, should leave. Therefore Atheists, who disagree with Britain, which is a Christian country according to you, should leave.

Hang on there ... hang on

The fact that you lot PREACH and LISTEN and BELIEVE about a book that claims it's infallible? But apparently the other books such as the bible and torah are contaminated?

That muhammad dude is kinda clever swindler for power innit?
Original post by Ascend
Everything you said contradicts your first statement.

I didn’t choose for it to be a big sin. If I had to choose, I wouldn’t.
I'm not generalising Muslims. I deliberately referred to the more socially conservative. Unfortunately as we see from survey data and the actions of these parents, such backwards views are common among Muslims.

Dw I wasn't targetting u specifically, I just wanted to show that not all muslims (and muslims as a group in general) have these views...
People believe what they want to believe and we shudnt say that a *whole* particular group believe this becuz (speaking as a sociologist) this creates folk devil's and leads to things like moral panic, or people labelling and marginalising a whole group for things a minority believe
(Again, not targetting this at u in particular)
Reply 33
Original post by Rainfall
I didn’t choose for it to be a big sin. If I had to choose, I wouldn’t.

And that's genuinely admirable but I'm afraid you're still aligning yourself with an ideological belief that is seen by many if not most (if not all!) LGBT people as hateful, unkind and bigoted.
Original post by CoolCavy
Why should intolerance be tolerated?

It’s not ‘intolerance’ it’s simply their views. They are entitled to an opinion on the subject matter.
Yes and some parents don’t want their children to learn sex education, they end up being aware of it eventually. Personally, I don’t see what’s wrong with the parents not wanting their children being exposed to ‘other views’. I don’t agree with it but they should still be respected & they are within their rights to do so.

Some parents feel like the children are too young to learn about it & that is perfectly fine. Not everyone has to agree with homosexuality, but what they can’t be is homophobic. You have to understand that some cultures are against it and whilst it is a norm in this country, it’d be unreasonable to force parents to send their children to these workshops. Therefore, their views should be respected, regardless.

It's not specific sex education at primary school level. It's teaching kids that other forms of relationships exist and to be tolerant towards them.

As for your comments about culture. That is precisely what I was getting at in my OP. We know that ethnic groups which are disproportionately Muslim often do badly in terms of education, unemployment, poverty etc. While this may be because they do face real discrimination, they do end up marginalising themselves by clinging to backwards values.

Because you agree on all the things they want you to agree with. That's why.
Original post by thegodofgod
"Stop generalising Muslims" - kind of becomes difficult when you have around 600 Muslim families pulling their kids out of an educational session...

Well that's their own choice
At the end of the day, it's their children, not urs, not mine...they can do what they want with them
Not to mention, was it ONLY muslims doing this? How do u know there wasn't Christians or other religious groups doing this? Muslims arent the only people who hold views like that (and it's not even all muslims)

Therefore according to you, Atheism should be banned, shouldn't it?
It’s not ‘intolerance’ it’s simply their views. They are entitled to an opinion on the subject matter.

Homophobia is literal intolerance.
Im not going to accept someone's views when those views think i should be thrown in the pits of fire for my sexual orientation. If you want tolerance it has to come from both sides.

Latest

Trending

Trending