The Student Room Group

Trans children are being damaged

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
I think we are on the same page mostly - for me the reason I would still say its ok for boys to wear dresses, is not because I don't think that some kids will be pressured into it/it coudl cause problems.. its more just weighing up the risks assosiated.

If I presume that there are transgender kids (as I believe there are), then I have to weigh the risks of: the negative effects of some non-trans kids being encouraged to act trans.. vs the negative effects actual trans kids being denied the ability to be trans

With medical intervention - for me the risk to non-trans kids who could be influenced, is greater then the harm to trans kids who may miss out... but with just dressing/acting, the risk to non trans kids seems less to me then the harm to trans kids who may miss out

If you see what I mean? Its not that the pressure won't happen, and some kids won't be influenced by friends/family/media into doing something they don't need to - its just that dressing up for a few years poses less risk then medical intervention, so it becomes a more reasonable price to pay to accomodate the genuinly transgender kids.

funny enough you have actually describes what happens in the Netherlands and what is supposed to happen in the UK

Canda and Australia have gone a little further and allow cross sex hormones at 14 for YP who meet their equivlanet og Gillick compenetence and have a well established diagnosis

Binding can be avoided by timely adminstration of GnRH analoguies, which are neither experimental or iwthout long term follow up , havign been used for 40 years in CPP and 30 years in Gender Dysphoria
sometimes i wonder if i should post in tsr for transition advice

then i remember that i'm not totally braindead and go on reddit
Reply 42
Original post by InArduisFouette
There are not 'a lot of studies' that suggest this

there are a few studies dating from the era of DSM-III ' Gender Identity Disorder' which people claim apply to the DSM-V or ICD10 defintion of Gender dysphoria.

https://www.transadvocate.com/part-i-the-rise-and-fall-of-discosexology-dr-zucker-camh-conversion-therapy_n_19556.htm

the most recent studies place the desistence rate in children and young people are around 4 % - the Australian report that was used to remove the requirement for a specific court hearing to allow under 18s to being medical transition

the most recent adult patient population figure which iirc included 18 year olds transferred from GIDS as presented at WPATH 2018 sohews the desistence rate among those with diagnosed Gender Dysphoria is 0.3 %

Complete and brazen lie!

The desistance rate was 90% for those not put on puberty blockers. It was 0% for those put on drugs. This was a study done by wpath themselves. Do you understand the massive implication of this. From 10% persisting to 100%.

http://wpath2016.conferencespot.org/62620-wpathv2-1.3138789/t001-1.3140111/f009a-1.3140266/0706-000523-1.3140268

Or take this article that covers the myth of the "desistence myth".

https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2018/07/21972/

Lies like yours surrounding the science behind this, the danger of of puberty blockers, the rate of desistence, the denial of ROGD will come back on you, just like anti-vaxx and suppressed memory syndrome.
Reply 43
thanks for demonstrating your clinical illiteracy .

the only liar here is you you TERF

Ad hominem. The yin to the strawman yang of the only two arguments trans validation activists are capable of.
Children should not be allowed to transition, not even be allowed to take hormone blockers, until they reach 18 and can make decisions for themselves. There is evidence to show, by Dr. Debra Soh, that 60%-90% of children who experience gender dysphoria actually grow out of it and instead live their lives as gay men and women so this push to get children transitioning, under the guise of "compassion", is troubling. I'm actually so glad I didn't grow up in this age because I was a tomboy growing up who often said I wanted to be a boy only to grow up to be a feminine female. If I grew up in this age I would probably be on hormone blockers and transitioning to become a man and that is terrifying to think about.
Original post by iAngely
Children should not be allowed to transition, not even be allowed to take hormone blockers, until they reach 18 and can make decisions for themselves. There is evidence to show, by Dr. Debra Soh, that 60%-90% of children who experience gender dysphoria actually grow out of it and instead live their lives as gay men and women so this push to get children transitioning, under the guise of "compassion", is troubling. I'm actually so glad I didn't grow up in this age because I was a tomboy growing up who often said I wanted to be a boy only to grow up to be a feminine female. If I grew up in this age I would probably be on hormone blockers and transitioning to become a man and that is terrifying to think about.

Soh is Not a Medical Practitioner or in fact a Clinician of any kind.

she is echo the same debunked myths that Blanchar,d Bailrey, Zucker and their ilk of debunked, defrocked pariahs have been trotting out to justify conversion therapy for the past 40 years .

and the whole ' i was a tomboy growing up and would have been transed' demonstrates you don't even know what the criteria for diagnosing Gender Dysphoria are , never mind actually having them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by yudothis
Funny that then that GIDS is now involved in a controversy where their doctors say they feel pressured to perform quick transitions.

You are committing child abuse, and this fact is getting more and more attention. Sooner or later your house of card will come crashing down on you and everyone will see the truth - in your narcissistic rage for self validation, you are promoting child abuse. You will be seen for the sicko that you are.

GIDS fail to follow the intenrational evidence based clinical guidelines

GIDS is acknowledged by international comparators and adult GICs to be failing becasue they refuse to follow those evidence based guidelines

your personalised comments towards me are unacceptable and constitte in the light of your previous censures on this site criminal harassment
Soh is Not a Medical Practitioner or in fact a Clinician of any kind.

she is echo the same debunked myths that Blanchar,d Bailrey, Zucker and their ilk of debunked, defrocked pariahs have been trotting out to justify conversion therapy for the past 40 years .

and the whole ' i was a tomboy growing up and would have been transed' demonstrates you don't even know what the criteria for diagnosing Gender Dysphoria are , never mind actually having them.

She was a clinician, actually, and worked with children so do your research. She has a PhD in neuroscience and worked in sexology yet you have activists with no background in science, or any working knowledge, stating their opinions as fact. She has done the digging to find the evidence and there is no evidence to find any case of 71 genders because gender is binary, she has found that 60-90% of kids with gender dysphoria grow out of it and turn out to be gay as adults, which has led her to believe some of the push for transitioning by parents is actually grounded in homophobia, and is against any form of conversion therapy so you're really showing your ignorance here.

My last comment was about the culture nowadays of the push by parents, and the media, to get kids to transition when that shouldn't even be an option. A lot of the reasoning given nowadays for kids to transition is because the kid said they want to be the other gender, which I too said as a child, so taking what children are saying as literal is dangerous because if I was living in this time and my mother took what I said, and I transitioned, I would be a man right now. Children don't even know what they want for breakfast in two days time so why would anyone take what a child says, which will affect their entire lives, and think it's a good idea to listen to them when they literally don't understand what they're getting themselves into.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
however difficult the truth is to swallow, many do regret transitioning surgically especially at a young age...

There's definitely none that regret surgically transitioning as kids, because that simply doesn't happen - Trans related health care guidelines are fairly clear, the only sort of medical intervention that under 18s can receive is puberty blockers, which are reversible. Any steps to transition at that age are social, not medical.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
the only sort of medical intervention that under 18s can receive is puberty blockers, . Any steps to transition at that age are social, not medical.

You contradict yourself in consecutive sentences. Puberty blockers are a medical intervention.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
There's definitely none that regret surgically transitioning as kids, because that simply doesn't happen - Trans related health care guidelines are fairly clear, the only sort of medical intervention that under 18s can receive is puberty blockers, which are reversible. Any steps to transition at that age are social, not medical.

regardless, conditions like gender dysphoria should not be treated with a concotion of drugs at such an age, but leave any sort of intervention medically till they are 18, though they are free to interact socially claiming to be another gender altogether
Reply 51
GIDS fail to follow the intenrational evidence based clinical guidelines

GIDS is acknowledged by international comparators and adult GICs to be failing becasue they refuse to follow those evidence based guidelines

your personalised comments towards me are unacceptable and constitte in the light of your previous censures on this site criminal harassment

Your slander of their duty of care towards their patients is the only criminal offence here.
Original post by Good bloke
You contradict yourself in consecutive sentences. Puberty blockers are a medical intervention.

I don’t know enough about them, but I imagine a lot of the effects would be irreversible. Puberty blockers sound really scary and I can’t imagine the potential damage.
Reply 53
Original post by yudothis
That would make you transphobic. Didn't you know, according to trans validation activists, kids as young as 2 or 3 know their 'gender'.

That does not make them Transphobic and to say so is pretty drastic. Children are simply too young at that age to be able to decide their gender. I have heard of cases where young children transition to the opposite gender and a year or two afterwards, they want to transition back. If kids can't consent to sex until they are 16, why should they be able to change their gender at such young ages?
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Children should not be able to transition at such a young age. End of story.

completely and irrefutably agree. At the MINIMUM sex changes or whatever they're called should NOT be legal until you are 18. END OF
Reply 55
Then you have no idea how extreme trans validation ideology is. They lobbied to have a poster ad with the heading "woman - adult human female" removed because of it's "transphobic intentions". And that is just a mild thing they do.
Original post by Jyro
That does not make them Transphobic and to say so is pretty drastic. Children are simply too young at that age to be able to decide their gender. I have heard of cases where young children transition to the opposite gender and a year or two afterwards, they want to transition back. If kids can't consent to sex until they are 16, why should they be able to change their gender at such young ages?
Original post by YaliaV
I don’t know enough about them, but I imagine a lot of the effects would be irreversible. Puberty blockers sound really scary and I can’t imagine the potential damage.

GnRH analogues are completely reversible they have been used for 40 years in central precocious puberty and for 30 years in trans youth with marked gender dysphoria, the fear issues would have been found by now ... especially with CPP.
Original post by Hutch-2001
completely and irrefutably agree. At the MINIMUM sex changes or whatever they're called should NOT be legal until you are 18. END OF

I would strong suggest you look at the WPATH standards of care

forcing young people through the 'wrong ' puberty to satisfy hand wringers and bigots is patently ridiculous, current international practice is 30 years old with regard to trans teens although in the past 5 -10 years some places have applied Gillick competence to the age of initiation of hormonal treatment in patients with clearly established GD and some places now permit competent 16 and 17 year olds to being the assessment process for Gender confirmation surgery, which has resulted in a few 17 year olds getting surgery
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jyro

are you aware of the concept of the schema ? and of the understanding of self

sexuality and gender identity are part of this and consequently are formed to a greater o lesser extent by thre age of 6 or so ...

you do realise what transition consists of prior to Tanner II ? a purely social transition to use name, pronouns and present as their young person's experienced gender rather than a presumption based on brief observation of the genitalia as a neonate.

from Tanner II until 16 if the Dutch protocol is followed the medical interventions consist of enitrely reversible GnRH analogues , although we are now seeing over the past 5 - 10 years in some places the introduction of hormones prior to 16 for children with a well established diagnosis of gender dysphoria

the most recent desistence / detransition data from Australia places this at 4 % in a youth population who met the diagnostic criteria for Gender Dysphoria, it is not broken down into whether those who desisted desisted to None binary identities but wished to have secondary sexual characteristics associated with their gonads or to cisgender identities...

UK GIDS who draastically underprescribe GnRH analogues have a 100% persistence rate

adult desistence rates as presented at WPATH 2018 by clinicians from Nottingham GIC are 0.3 %
'children shouldnt be able to transition until 18 or 20' the doctor i went to said i need to wait 'til my brain is fully developed' so 20 but as horrifying as it f*cking sounds the reality is im not sure if ill live that long.

im squabbling for reasons to be here and i just want to get everything sorted and feel comfortable already

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending