The Student Room Group

Your UCAS Application has been rejected.

My rejection wounds have once again been reopened and they are raw and painful after recieving my third rejection for Law from Durham. Durham would have been my, without a doubt, firm choice so I feel as though I’ve been kicked in the teeth. I hold offers from Surrey and York, York as my next option. I liked the city, but not so much the campus. I was really drawn to Durham because of the traditional setting and city feeling of the university which I much prefer to a campus. The question remains, do I firm York or do I take another year out? Extenuating circumstances mean I took A Levels over 3 years so it would be a second year out but it’s my first time of applying. If anyone is in a similar situation feel free to join in, I’m not looking to have the decision made for me but to chat to others about it so hopefully when I come to one I feel like it’s an informed choice.

Scroll to see replies

Do you know if any of the unis that rejected you are in adjustment?
Original post by Freya.Interhigh
My rejection wounds have once again been reopened and they are raw and painful after recieving my third rejection for Law from Durham. Durham would have been my, without a doubt, firm choice so I feel as though I’ve been kicked in the teeth. I hold offers from Surrey and York, York as my next option. I liked the city, but not so much the campus. I was really drawn to Durham because of the traditional setting and city feeling of the university which I much prefer to a campus. The question remains, do I firm York or do I take another year out? Extenuating circumstances mean I took A Levels over 3 years so it would be a second year out but it’s my first time of applying. If anyone is in a similar situation feel free to join in, I’m not looking to have the decision made for me but to chat to others about it so hopefully when I come to one I feel like it’s an informed choice.

Why not get some feedback from Durham as to where you needed to improve, then you can make a more informed decision as to whether to try again. Same for your other rejections. Although you arent meant to, you can firm York and if you change your mind later ask to withdraw. besides the feedback, then imo the main thing to do is simply focus on A levels and getting the best grades. get better grades and they create options plus a stronger application. There isnt much value in spending too long being hurt by the rejection. It happens to plenty for competitive unis.
From what I've heard its unlikely Durham would be in adjustment for Law but maybe I'll have a look at some other subject options too. Others I applied to are Cam and KCL.
Original post by Afterlife?
Thank-you, yes hopefully Durham will give me some feedback. How difficult is it to withdraw after accepting a place? Thinking of going down the extra route and seeing what is available there.
Original post by 999tigger
Why not get some feedback from Durham as to where you needed to improve, then you can make a more informed decision as to whether to try again. Same for your other rejections. Although you arent meant to, you can firm York and if you change your mind later ask to withdraw. besides the feedback, then imo the main thing to do is simply focus on A levels and getting the best grades. get better grades and they create options plus a stronger application. There isnt much value in spending too long being hurt by the rejection. It happens to plenty for competitive unis.
Check Ucas course search it should tell what courses and universities are available. Double check by ringing the university concerned. If they are still accepting applications then reject the offers you are holding and apply. I doubt there will be anything better than you have. Part of the issue of applying to these universities is you run the risk of rejection as they are very competitive for Law.
Thank-you, yes hopefully Durham will give me some feedback. How difficult is it to withdraw after accepting a place? Thinking of going down the extra route and seeing what is available there.
What are your predicted grades and what did you get on the LNAT?
Predicted grades are A*AA and 28 on the LNAT

Its not just the prestige of a university but somewhere I feel like 'fits' for me, I'd go to York for sure then because they rank fairly well but the feel of the university I realise now isn't quite right for me
Maybe Lancaster, Exeter or Kent might prove a better fit than York. They are all in extra so look into them

Adjustment only goes live on results day and you are only eligible if you exceed your firm offer. You might mean extra or clearing

You can only go down the extra route if you hold no offers and have withdrawn/ rejected all your existing ones. Its possible to withdraw after accepting, but its not something they like for obvious reasons. If it were me then I would be focusing on A levels. All you have are predicteds. If York isnt right for you then maybe Extra is the way to go.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by super_kawaii
Adjustment only goes live on results day and you are only eligible if you exceed your firm offer. You might mean extra or clearing

No I mean adjustment as you can ask uni admissions about their projected adjustment intake and this will indicate whether you still have a shot at going to your fav uni
No I mean adjustment as you can ask uni admissions about their projected adjustment intake and this will indicate whether you still have a shot at going to your fav uni

If they've already rejected you, they don't want you. Simple as that. Obviously OP's application wasn't ideal, especially having received 3 rejections already, meaning gaining a place through clearing (OP won't be eligible for adjustment if they have no offers) will be difficult.

Unless something is going to dramatically change in your application, you'll probably get the same result. York is still well respected (ok not as much as Durham but Durham said no), tbh it matters far more what you do at Uni. If u go to York get a 1st every year, become president of the law soc, do another sport/society and do summer internships at big firms you're probably in a better position than the average Durham grad anyway.
Thanks everyone, I agree that adjustment is too risky to expect a place at my dream university, I don't expect to massively exceed my entry requirements for York anyway, offer is AAA and predicted A*AA. Its not the prestige of a university that I'm particularly drawn to despite Durham ranking highly, its just my ideal university was a more traditional city one making York the opposite of what I ideally wanted. I know it sounds like I was silly to apply there but now I've been able to reflect on my choice more its become clear that it doesn't feel like the right one. I'm going to take some time to think about it but I've been looking at other universities available in extra and thinking about my course choice too, its not a decision I'm going to make right now but declining my York offer does feel a bit painful because of the interview process and no guarantee of an offer elsewhere, feel a bit dammed if I do dammed if I don't! However, as much as the rejection is unwelcomed its certainly given me a lot to think about and consider.
If its the feel of a traditional university look at Cardiff. Exeter is a campus university close to a lovely city and will be worth looking at.
Thanks everyone, I agree that adjustment is too risky to expect a place at my dream university, I don't expect to massively exceed my entry requirements for York anyway, offer is AAA and predicted A*AA. Its not the prestige of a university that I'm particularly drawn to despite Durham ranking highly, its just my ideal university was a more traditional city one making York the opposite of what I ideally wanted. I know it sounds like I was silly to apply there but now I've been able to reflect on my choice more its become clear that it doesn't feel like the right one. I'm going to take some time to think about it but I've been looking at other universities available in extra and thinking about my course choice too, its not a decision I'm going to make right now but declining my York offer does feel a bit painful because of the interview process and no guarantee of an offer elsewhere, feel a bit dammed if I do dammed if I don't! However, as much as the rejection is unwelcomed its certainly given me a lot to think about and consider.

Adjustment may not even be an option for you so it’s best never to rely on it.

May be worth taking time out and improving your application for next year if possible
You have good LNAT scores.

I'd say that you should firm York and try to get the best possible grades you can (i.e. A*AA - A*A*A*). On results day, try for extra/clearing/adjustment (whichever one applies to you). If you nothing works, maybe consider going to York or taking a year out and reapplying.
Would it be silly to consider reapplying to Durham for criminology with the intention of doing the GDL? If I firm York I compromise on my uni choice, if I choose to apply for a different course I'm compromising on Law...The what ifs are crippling :s-smilie:
Not wanting to attack your preference for a city centre uni, but York campus really isn't far (10 minutes bike ride) and there are lots of student houses between campus and centre. It's also a bigger city than Durham. Have you visited either yet?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending