The Student Room Group

Turning Point UK launches, lefty heads explode!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jebedee
You'd think that the left would be queuing up to debate these guys, since they are so "laughable". Yet even promises of cash payment in exchange for a debate isn't enough in some cases. How bizarre!

Quote source? Who's offering a cash payment in exchange for a debate? I'm down!
Original post by ThatOldGuy
Quote source? Who's offering a cash payment in exchange for a debate? I'm down!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/nyregion/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-debate-catcalling-ben-shapiro.html

I'd chip in myself to see this. Obviously wouldn't ever happen though.
Original post by Jebedee
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/10/nyregion/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-debate-catcalling-ben-shapiro.html

Someone offering to debate me for $10,000 is the equivalent of a catcall? So... Catcalling is fine, then? I had no idea.
Original post by Jebedee
You'd think that the left would be queuing up to debate these guys, since they are so "laughable".

Why would you think that? "Debating" laughable people is at best a waste of your time, and at worst giving them publicity they don't deserve.
Original post by Jebedee

The fact that Shapiro felt the need to offer cash illustrates exactly why AOC doesn't take him seriously.
Original post by Violet Femme
I came across the Turning Point twitter account a couple of days ago. Only today did I find out it is a legitimate organisation and not someone satirising young conservatives.

:laugh: theres a reason it's referred to as Toilet Paper USA
Original post by anarchism101
The fact that Shapiro felt the need to offer cash illustrates exactly why AOC doesn't take him seriously.

Okay. What person who disagrees with her views should she take seriously and debate?
Okay. What person who disagrees with her views should she take seriously and debate?

The most obvious candidates would be other Congresspeople, and candidates who challenge her for her seat at the next election.
The most obvious candidates would be other Congresspeople, and candidates who challenge her for her seat at the next election.

So you would advocate a debate between her and Mitt Romney?
Why would you think that? "Debating" laughable people is at best a waste of your time, and at worst giving them publicity they don't deserve.

Sure. Nothing to do with the fact she barely has two brain cells to bash together and he'd tear her apart in any kind of debate.
Reply 30
Original post by Jebedee
Sure. Nothing to do with the fact she barely has two brain cells to bash together and he'd tear her apart in any kind of debate.

It really is quite telling how worried she has conservatives and the extent of which they are attacking her. You even had Republicans criticising her for appearing in a dance video at university...

Incredible how intimidated and insecure certain men get by an attractive, intelligent woman.
Reply 31

Well yeah. Debating a congressman would obviously be more appropriate than debating an Internet boy.

The fact he's offering so much money to debate her really is quite telling.
Original post by DSilva
It really is quite telling how worried she has conservatives and the extent of which they are attacking her. You even had Republicans criticising her for appearing in a dance video at university...

Incredible how intimidated and insecure certain men get by an attractive, intelligent woman.

Oh absolutely not. Most of us love her. She's a meme content machine.

Yep, that's an invention that hasn't been invented yet.

Something like that would likely be a bit more useful, especially if debating a particular topical issue. Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz did one on healthcare reform back in 2017 which, iirc, was pretty OK.
Original post by Jebedee

Then let Shapiro run in her district as the GOP candidate in the next election. Have an election debate, as usually happens before such an election, and let's see who the voters pick?
Reply 35
Original post by Jebedee
Oh absolutely not. Most of us love her. She's a meme content machine.

Yep, that's an invention that hasn't been invented yet.

Yes, you guys love her, which is why you spend so much time trying to attack her...

Genuinely, the idea of an intelligent, attractive woman bruises your ego.
Reply 36
Something like that would likely be a bit more useful, especially if debating a particular topical issue. Bernie Sanders and Ted Cruz did one on healthcare reform back in 2017 which, iirc, was pretty OK.

Shapiro's main tactic seems to be to talk at 100 miles an hour.
Then let Shapiro run in her district as the GOP candidate in the next election. Have an election debate, as usually happens before such an election, and let's see who the voters pick?

That’s not the same as a debate that’s a popularity contest with a party attached to a name and a demographic equation.
Original post by DSilva
Yes, you guys love her, which is why you spend so much time trying to attack her...

Genuinely, the idea of an intelligent, attractive woman bruises your ego.

Not at all, people judge based on her words and actions.

It’s so easy to attach labels like sexist or racist etc but most people aren’t like that and it shouldn’t be the go to assumption when criticism comes the way of a person.
Original post by DSilva
Shapiro's main tactic seems to be to talk at 100 miles an hour.

Well yeah. Much like Jordan Peterson, Shapiro is full of **** and is the idiots idea of a smart person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending