The Student Room Group

RAF Current Operations

I'm researching the current/recent RAF operations and I only know of a few. Does anybody know of any other current ops the RAF are involved in? I'd really appreciate any info.
These are the ones I know of:
Operation Shader
Operation Ruman
Quick Reaction Alert

Do exercises count? For example Iniochos, Red Flag, Atlantic Trident

OR are these enough for the interview?

Thanks very much
Reply 1
Have a look at Toral and Kipion.

I would say you can never have enough knowledge for the interviews. In the filter interview they will dig as deep as possible into your breadth of knowledge until they’re satisfied, the interview is about 45 minutes but if you can talk for longer they’ll let you. At OASC the interview is only 30 minutes, so if it’s evident you know a lot then they’ll just move on to the next question.

The interviews are ultimately there to find out how serious you are about a career in the RAF. Do you know about the service you’re about to join? More is more.
Reply 2
Original post by vodapo
The interviews are ultimately there to find out how serious you are about a career in the RAF. Do you know about the service you’re about to join? More is more.

Yes and no.

That's part of their purpose, the other part is to find out how you react when you don't have the knowledge.

As much as the interview has been shortened, it's still there to test your knowledge and lack thereof. Yes it's important to know what you know, but it's also important to know how you react when you don't know; do you blather on and on, trying to bs your way through it, or do you say you don't know but say how you'd find out?
Reply 3
Haha yes that's true
Original post by Drewski
Yes and no.

That's part of their purpose, the other part is to find out how you react when you don't have the knowledge.

As much as the interview has been shortened, it's still there to test your knowledge and lack thereof. Yes it's important to know what you know, but it's also important to know how you react when you don't know; do you blather on and on, trying to bs your way through it, or do you say you don't know but say how you'd find out?

Haha yes that's true. Test of integrity I suppose? I don't think you're expected to know the entire history of the RAF.
Reply 4
Original post by vodapo
Haha yes that's true

Haha yes that's true. Test of integrity I suppose? I don't think you're expected to know the entire history of the RAF.

You can't. No matter how much you know, the guys who have served for decades interviewing you will know more...
Op adana
op shader
op toral
op turus
op trenton
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Operation Toral is the operation that directly follows Op Herrick in the Middle East, can we talk about Op Herrick as a separate talking point due to each having a different mission? There isn't much to say about Op Toral because the operation is to train the ANA and not engage in combat.
Original post by The_B0ss
Operation Toral is the operation that directly follows Op Herrick in the Middle East, can we talk about Op Herrick as a separate talking point due to each having a different mission? There isn't much to say about Op Toral because the operation is to train the ANA and not engage in combat.

If they ask you about current operations then obviously don’t talk about Op Herrick.

Op Shader
Op Toral
Op Kipion
Op Newcombe
Op Azotize/Biloxi - NATO Air Policing
(edited 5 years ago)
Just a heads up Op Biloxi ended in summer 2018, though they may go back again in April as they've done the past 2 years? - https://www.forces.net/news/chief-air-staff-praises-extremely-successful-op-biloxi
Ah okay. Thank you for the info! Good to know.
Original post by SmutsReport
Just a heads up Op Biloxi ended in summer 2018, though they may go back again in April as they've done the past 2 years? - https://www.forces.net/news/chief-air-staff-praises-extremely-successful-op-biloxi

I’m aware thanks, I have written NATO air policing with Estonia & Iceland due to clear things up!
(edited 5 years ago)
That's a nifty link!
Original post by AlphaTango
If they ask you about current operations then obviously don’t talk about Op Herrick.

Op Shader
Op Toral
Op Kipion
Op Newcombe
Op Azotize/Biloxi - NATO Air Policing

Noted. Thanks for the list of operations as well!

How much information do I need to give them though? There's not a lot to say about those - is that a good thing for me? Apologies for lots of questions, I have OASC in a couple of weeks and want to get this right.
Original post by The_B0ss
Noted. Thanks for the list of operations as well!

How much information do I need to give them though? There's not a lot to say about those - is that a good thing for me? Apologies for lots of questions, I have OASC in a couple of weeks and want to get this right.

Know what they are, what's deployed, how it pertains to the role you've applied for, and some of the reasoning behind the deployment.

You'll never know it all, so don't fret. Show that you're prepared, and when you run out of knowledge (which will happen) don't blag it.
Original post by Drewski
Know what they are, what's deployed, how it pertains to the role you've applied for, and some of the reasoning behind the deployment.

You'll never know it all, so don't fret. Show that you're prepared, and when you run out of knowledge (which will happen) don't blag it.

Thank you for this!

Quick Reply

Latest