The Student Room Group

BDO Graduate applicants-2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meekmilling
The AC was actually really relaxed for me. Make friends with then it isn't a competition, in the waiting room we all chatted and got to know eachother and made the whole day more pleasant.
Be involved with the team, bring up ideas, think creatively and just bring it up and back it up with evidence.
Ask questions at the QnA
Interview just be you, bring up your examples. Be calm aan smile!
That's about it, just be a nice person, involved and smile.
Good luck!

Thank you so much! I'm quite nervous!

Hopefully it'll be okay! It also said that we have to bring a calculator! Is this for case studies that we have to do on the day or?
Original post by sarah_145
Thank you so much! I'm quite nervous!

Hopefully it'll be okay! It also said that we have to bring a calculator! Is this for case studies that we have to do on the day or?

Yes definitely bring it!! It's used in the case
study to calculate basic maths %change etc.
The day is very relaxed and quite nice actually so no need to worry!
Original post by meekmilling
Yes definitely bring it!! It's used in the case
study to calculate basic maths %change etc.
The day is very relaxed and quite nice actually so no need to worry!

Alright thank you!

What scheme did you apply for btw? :smile:

And what was the structure like the for the day? Is it similar to PwC assessment day where you have to do written exercise, etc?
Original post by sarah_145
Alright thank you!

What scheme did you apply for btw? :smile:

And what was the structure like the for the day? Is it similar to PwC assessment day where you have to do written exercise, etc?

I applied for Business Tax, what about you?
I wouldn't know PWC's but mine did. It does take about the whole day
Hi, I'm taking the SJT for BDO tomorrow. what is the general difficulty level for this test? I've tried a few mock tests but still wanted to get a general idea!
Original post by Ambika 112
Hi, I'm taking the SJT for BDO tomorrow. what is the general difficulty level for this test? I've tried a few mock tests but still wanted to get a general idea!

Its not hard - just practice online (jobtestprep or assessment day) and trust me you'll be fine!
Reply 26
Thanks for the advice @meekmillingCan I ask you what kinds of tasks they asked you to do?How many parts are there in the assessment?How many people were there with you?Cheers,
Original post by KPham
Thanks for the advice @meekmillingCan I ask you what kinds of tasks they asked you to do?How many parts are there in the assessment?How many people were there with you?Cheers,

Do you have an AC coming up for BDO?

Mines on 29th Jan! You??
Reply 28
I'm still waiting for the interview's result
Original post by KPham
I'm still waiting for the interview's result

Ah okay!

When did you sit for it?
Best of luck! :smile:
How long did it take you guys from video interview to hear back
Original post by dfghjk1234567
How long did it take you guys from video interview to hear back

It was very quick and efficient!

Around 10-12 days!
Can someone please pm me regarding the video interview? Can trade questions for almost asset management firms as well as Deloitte and Kpmg acs
Hi guys,

I applied to BDO for the Financial Services Audit Level 7 Apprenticeship and received an offer in January. The process is the same for the apprentices as it is for graduates however interviews may be slightly different (not sure). Just thought I'd talk about my experience incase its helpful for anyone.

For the video interview, it is all strengths based questions, such as 'What does teamwork mean to you'. I can't remember many of the questions but none were particularly challenging. I'd recommend to do your research on BDO and what they do.

I got invited to the Assessment Centre 3 days after submitting my video interview- if you apply early on they are very quick to respond which is great! I arrived super early to the assessment centre and waited in the reception area, as each of the other candidates arrived we got talking, just to make the day less nerve racking I'd recommend you make friends! At mine there were 4 people including myself, and we were guided by someone who worked in HR all day who was really lovely. The assessment centre consists of a group exercise (which you then present one to one), written exercise and interview. The structure of my day went - get to know each other, group exercise, q&a with current grads, continue group exercise, lunch, prepare to present ideas from group exercise to one assessor (this is individual not group), present to assessor, interview, written exercise.

My group exercise was coming up with an induction event for newcomers and you get given different posters with events and the costs of these (you get given an info pack where you can work out the budget). My main tip for this is to just listen to the other people in your group and find the right balance between leading and listening. You get given plenty of time to do this but something I did was made note of when we started and reminded the group how long we had left at different intervals. They did not rush us at all and you have plenty of time so just don't rush.

In the q&a just ask as many questions as possible and sound keen. Financial services sounded great so defo recommend apply to that - spend a lot of time with clients rather than behind a desk and get opportunities to travel.

When presenting your ideas just try to sound as confident as possible and don't look at your notes too much. I just introduced it with what the task was, budget and the aims for the idea even though the same assessor was in the room whilst we discussed. Make sure you have a structure to your presentation. Mine didn't go on for too long so I ensured I had a chat with the assessor (who worked at BDO).

The interview is prob the most stressful part of the day so just keep calm and come up with as many examples as possible that you have done. I was first asked to introduce myself and my hobbies, as did the interviewer and we had a small conversation about this. The questions were all very strengths based but also 'Why BDO?' - I talked about how friendly and welcoming they are to staff (lots of stuff on their website for this), 'Why financial services?' - I said I liked working with numbers and being able to meet with clients and learning how businesses operate (expanded obviously), then more strength based questions such as 'Do you believe a senior member of the team's opinion is more important than those lower down?' and 'Do you act differently when presenting to different audiences?'. Make sure to be very polite and enthusiastic about the role you're applying for.

The written exercise was just replying to an email. I did not think this was particularly challenging but just ensure you know how to structure an email.

I got the call to offer me the job a couple of hours after the AC!

Hope this helps, good luck with your applications and feel free to ask me any more questions.
Reply 34
Hey guys,

I've been invited to an AC at the end of March for a Tax Graduate position. Has anyone else got one coming up/already done theirs? If so, are their any specific tips?

I can help with the video interview ect if anyone still needs help with those.

Thanks
Reply 35
Original post by Kris_94
Hey guys,

I've been invited to an AC at the end of March for a Tax Graduate position. Has anyone else got one coming up/already done theirs? If so, are their any specific tips?

Thanks

Hi,
I am applying for the Audit position but I think VI questions should not be so different. Could you please share some tips about the VI. For example, what kind of attitudes they are looking for or how you organize your answer, does it has to follow STAR structure, do you need to explain a lot of work-related experiences etc.
Reply 36
Original post by KPham
Hi,
I am applying for the Audit position but I think VI questions should not be so different. Could you please share some tips about the VI. For example, what kind of attitudes they are looking for or how you organize your answer, does it has to follow STAR structure, do you need to explain a lot of work-related experiences etc.

Hello,

The questions should not change regardless as there wasn't any specific questions regarding Tax for mine.

The interview is strength-based so you won't use the STAR(R) technique as that is for competency based interviews. Therefore, you also won't be talking about yourself a lot either.

The questions are more general and narrow, such as: "Why do you believe it is important to receive feedback" or "How do you approach a task to make sure you reach the agreed timescale?"

BDO want to see how you respond and your general thinking process. My advice would be to relax and not rehearse your answers like you usually would in a competency based interview. Just be yourself and answer honestly and openly and of course dress as though it was a face-to-face interview.

Overall there are 10 questions with the first being a warm-up question. None were particularly hard, just do some research into BDO prior to your VI and you'll be fine. Honestly, it's not hard.

Best of luck and keep us updated!
Reply 37
Thank you very much! I will
Original post by Kris_94
Hello,

The questions should not change regardless as there wasn't any specific questions regarding Tax for mine.

The interview is strength-based so you won't use the STAR(R) technique as that is for competency based interviews. Therefore, you also won't be talking about yourself a lot either.

The questions are more general and narrow, such as: "Why do you believe it is important to receive feedback" or "How do you approach a task to make sure you reach the agreed timescale?"

BDO want to see how you respond and your general thinking process. My advice would be to relax and not rehearse your answers like you usually would in a competency based interview. Just be yourself and answer honestly and openly and of course dress as though it was a face-to-face interview.

Overall there are 10 questions with the first being a warm-up question. None were particularly hard, just do some research into BDO prior to your VI and you'll be fine. Honestly, it's not hard.

Best of luck and keep us updated!
Reply 38
Original post by Kris_94
Hey guys,

Thanks

When did you do your video interview and how long after did you find out you would be invited to the assessment day ?

Also do you find out straight away if you get invited to the assessment day or do you get shortlisted ?
Got an AC for tomorrow -- anybody else?

Quick Reply

Latest