The Student Room Group

A Levels for Law?

Would Politics, English Literature, Biology A levels and Chem AS be ok for Law at top Unis? I know History is preferred/favored but I am doing it for GCSE and really don't enjoy it so I dont think I could take 2 extra years of doing History! I am also considering Politics or International Relations.
Please be honest! I could force myself to take history but I really don't like it so I'm conscious the grade in it wouldn't be high. ( Also I'd probably be doing an EPQ)
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

And- if I couldn't do Politics ( depending on the college I go to not all do it) what would be a good choice? GCSES are triple science, history and french ( and I wouldn't want to do history unless no other choice and absolutely no way w/ french)
Original post by sherlanddris
And- if I couldn't do Politics ( depending on the college I go to not all do it) what would be a good choice? GCSES are triple science, history and french ( and I wouldn't want to do history unless no other choice and absolutely no way w/ french)

If you couldn't do Politics, why not just stick with 3 A levels? All Unis will make offers based on 3 A levels and most students only do 3 as it is easier to achieve high grades with 3 than 4, and you will need high grades for Law.

If you are definite about wanting to do 4, you should pick something you have an interest in - possibly even a new subject like Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Business or Law. They are all acceptable subjects.
Original post by harrysbar
If you couldn't do Politics, why not just stick with 3 A levels? All Unis will make offers based on 3 A levels and most students only do 3 as it is easier to achieve high grades with 3 than 4, and you will need high grades for Law.

If you are definite about wanting to do 4, you should pick something you have an interest in - possibly even a new subject like Psychology, Sociology, Economics, Business or Law. They are all acceptable subjects.

Yes that's what i would do ( do 3) but is Eng,Bio and Chem a good Law combo? I would feel more confident doing 2 essay based and 1 science
Thanks

Okay, do you think I should do history then as most people would have it?
Reply 5
Would Politics, English Literature, Biology A levels and Chem AS be ok for Law at top Unis? I know History is preferred/favored but I am doing it for GCSE and really don't enjoy it so I dont think I could take 2 extra years of doing History! I am also considering Politics or International Relations.
Please be honest! I could force myself to take history but I really don't like it so I'm conscious the grade in it wouldn't be high. ( Also I'd probably be doing an EPQ)
Thanks

Honestly, it doesn’t matter what you do for A-Level.

Pick the subjects you enjoy and you’ll do best at, all the subjects you’ve picked are academic, traditional A-Levels. You’re not going to be at an advantage by picking history, even though it is common with law students.

As long as you’re not picking textiles and general studies, you’ll be fine.
Original post by Arisapo
Honestly, it doesn’t matter what you do for A-Level.

Pick the subjects you enjoy and you’ll do best at, all the subjects you’ve picked are academic, traditional A-Levels. You’re not going to be at an advantage by picking history, even though it is common with law students.

As long as you’re not picking textiles and general studies, you’ll be fine.

Thanks so much! I was concerned because I know how popular History is - but I honestly wouldn't be able to have the motivation to work at it because I don't enjoy it. Thanks!
Reply 7
Thanks so much! I was concerned because I know how popular History is - but I honestly wouldn't be able to have the motivation to work at it because I don't enjoy it. Thanks!

Don’t pick a subject you don’t enjoy as you’re less likely to do well.

I do English Lit, Spanish and Latin, which probably aren’t conventional for a law student and I’m holding offers from great unis.

Where did you have in mind?
Yes that's what i would do ( do 3) but is Eng,Bio and Chem a good Law combo? I would feel more confident doing 2 essay based and 1 science

That combo will be fine. Some people say that even 3 Sciences (or Science/Maths) is fine, but I personally feel that doing at least one essay based subject is advantageous in that it's good practice for the Law degree. But you definitely don't have to choose either 4 A levels or History A level.
Original post by Arisapo
Don’t pick a subject you don’t enjoy as you’re less likely to do well.

I do English Lit, Spanish and Latin, which probably aren’t conventional for a law student and I’m holding offers from great unis.

Where did you have in mind?

Wow, congratulations! Tentatively looking at Ox but more realistically Russell Groups such as Bristol, Exeter and KCL ( maybe Warwick or Durham)
Wow, congratulations! Tentatively looking at Ox but more realistically Russell Groups such as Bristol, Exeter and KCL ( maybe Warwick or Durham)

Thank you :smile: I’m holding offers from Exeter, Durham and Nottingham, but it depends where you want to go.

If you want to apply to Oxford, go for it, it’s only one space on an application and if you like it, it’s worth an application for sure.

As long as your GCSEs, predicted grades, personal statement and LNAT are strong, you’re in with a chance.
Original post by Arisapo
Thank you :smile: I’m holding offers from Exeter, Durham and Nottingham, but it depends where you want to go.

If you want to apply to Oxford, go for it, it’s only one space on an application and if you like it, it’s worth an application for sure.

As long as your GCSEs, predicted grades, personal statement and LNAT are strong, you’re in with a chance.

Oh wow, well done! Yes, although I don't want to set my sights on it because I know just how hard it is. Just out of interest, What have you heard about law post grad jobs. Most teachers I mention law too say that it's not a good career path which really puts me off.. Have you heard anything like that?
Thanks
Oh wow, well done! Yes, although I don't want to set my sights on it because I know just how hard it is. Just out of interest, What have you heard about law post grad jobs. Most teachers I mention law too say that it's not a good career path which really puts me off.. Have you heard anything like that?

Well, there are plenty of opportunities with a law degree as it’s a very well respected traditional degree.

There are legal routes obviously, whether that be in a firm or on the bar, while there are limitless other fields you can go into.

Only do a law degree if you’re genuinely passionate about it though otherwise you’re bound to find it a struggle.

You don’t have to set your sights purely on Oxford and keep your options open but definitely consider it if it’s somewhere you’d like to study.
Thanks! The main thing they said was that jobs are incredibly competitive and the job utskef isn't great however from my research as long as you get into a fairly good uni and do work exp you'll be fine?
*itself
Which top university? you might have not decided yet but go to their website and see the subjects that they require and the ones they prefer.
If subject choice was this broad OP wouldn't be asking, there may not be required subjects but reasearching the most common ones gives a good idea . It's always beneficial to read information on the websites that is why it is written.
Yep i had a look previous to posting and History seemed to be a popular subject when you look at the Popular A Levels finder thingy so I made this to see if it was a necessity
Original post by Mr.noname
Which top university? you might have not decided yet but go to their website and see the subjects that they require and the ones they prefer.

Thank you, there aren't any specified ones that I can remember.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending