The Student Room Group

I want a job and I’m 15

So I want to get a job in like a store but I don’t have a cv. Will it be a problem
Your CV is basically non existent at this point because you have no qualifications (GCSE), unless you took them early? Best you can do is find places to volunteer, since they are valid references for your CV in the future
Reply 2
Thank you. But say I don’t want to volunteer would it be fine for me to go in with out anything
Original post by Sara88879
Thank you. But say I don’t want to volunteer would it be fine for me to go in with out anything

Maybe some employers will accept you with no qualifications but I'd say it's unlikely. Maybe you could get a job as a waitress a hotel or cafe? It really depends on them.
My friend worked in starbucks and some restaurant before his qualifications (he was 15) and he got well payed considering someone who has no qualifications (£10 per day or week, i dont really remember)
You don't need a CV for many hospitality and retail positions. In my experience, small shops and cafes are the best for hiring young staff: usually you'll see adverts for 'Part-time wait staff,' or 'Saturday assistant,' in quite a few windows in your local town. After you find an advert, simply go in and ask to see the person in charge of hiring staff (Top tip: Never inquire about a hospitality job during service hours) -- he or she will most likely chat with you a bit and judge your personality for the role, and likely ask a few questions about why you'd be good for the job. More often than not, if you are a confident and out-going person, you'll acquire a trial shift where you will prove your capability.

If you are ever asked for a 'CV,' you aren't expected to produce something professional, simply your contact details and a few examples of your personal skill set. If for example, you were applying to a coffee shop, I would recommend simply writing a couple of paragraphs about how you appreciate communicating with people, and that you aficionado of good coffee. In any case, you definitely need some piece of paper with your phone no./email on.

Personally, I'd steer away from big corporations. There is a huge amount of bureaucracy, and since it's normally the case that the staff impose an unwritten hierarchy, you'll get the crap shifts and the few hours, while the veterans will get long shifts on good days. Also, they tend to pay as little as legally possible for your age (£4.20), whereas small businesses will (frequently) pay the NLW of £7.80 -- although employers vary hugely of course.

Source: I worked since 15 in six different retail/hospitality positions over the course of seven years.
Umm.....you literally can't work anywhere yet because you are 15.
You need to wait until you get an NI number and are 16. Best things you can do are babysitting, paper rounds, maybe smaller local stores will allow you
Original post by AzureCeleste
Umm.....you literally can't work anywhere yet because you are 15.
You need to wait until you get an NI number and are 16. Best things you can do are babysitting, paper rounds, maybe smaller local stores will allow you

Of course people under sixteen can work. There are rules to the type of work he can do (Hours, type, etc.) -- but nevertheless work is work.
As I said before cafes will be your best bet or in hospitality at a small scale hotel, you can usually find some on the windows of some places. Go in and tell them your interested in working their, they will most likely give you a trial shift to show what you can do. Supermarkets/retail is probably out of reach till your 16 however,
I'm sure it's illegal to get a job when you are 15.
Original post by Sara88879

You most likely wont get anything until you are 16. 99% of places dont take on under 16's.
Your best bet is to volunteer for the time being. And do a CV for when you do start looking for jobs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending