The Student Room Group

2018-19 UEFA Champions League Thread

Scroll to see replies

****ing hell, didn't expect that from Ajax at all.

So that's Ajax, Spurs, PSG, Man City, probably Atletico, probably Barcelona, Bayern/Liverpool and whoever wins that Porto/Roma game in the last 8. Wide open this year.
Reply 61
Original post by Fizzel
He's pretty bad but his commentary partner tonight has been worse. Literally adding nothing to my viewing experience. Clearly have no idea how VAR works, and are barely watching the game.

Drury gets hyped with those poetic lines people seem to enjoy.

I remember a game in 15/16 when Courtois was injured and Begovic was playing in goal and Druary referred to the goalkeeper as Courtois throughout the 90.
Reply 62
Well done Real Madrid!
Reply 63
Bayern 1-1 Liverpool (1-1(a) agg.)
Man City 3-0 Schalke (5-2 agg.)
Every club will have perked up with that result.. Real Madrid would have still be one of the favourites and it seems Juventus have one foot out of the door..
Ramos was in the stands having a documentary made about him during the game.

That addition of a garbage human being like Courtois has only made that club all the easier to dislike.
Reply 66
Original post by Fizzel
Ramos was in the stands having a documentary made about him during the game.

That addition of a garbage human being like Courtois has only made that club all the easier to dislike.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/11656553/jose-mourinho-tops-real-madrids-list-of-managerial-candidates-says-ramon-calderon

If you want any more reason to dislike them more. Watch mourinho win things again.
Reply 67

Pretty much done in my opinion. Hazard no doubt joining Mourinho at Madrid considering his comments about Mourinho being one of the managers he’d like to play for again.

Surely last chance saloon for Mourinho reputation. I think he’ll do well though.

Jose got a pretty bad rap for his time in Madrid because of the team fall out, but since he left they have only won La Liga once and the Copa Del Rey once. His lack of CL success compared to their recent success is held against him but I can see why Flo still respects him, for those successes and also for being the guy that could bring all those players to together. He was brought to Madrid for a purpose and that was a success for them as a club even if the zenith occurred without him as manager.

I don't think he will be 'successful' if he does go there, but I could see him going back to Madrid and having the clout to bring in Mbappe and Hazard or something crazy win a league title or something and then it all fall apart. That might be enough for Madrid though.

Jokes on Ramos if by sitting out he brings about the return of Jose, who ships him out to Porto on loan as a reminder.
Reply 69
Original post by S.G.
Pretty much done in my opinion. Hazard no doubt joining Mourinho at Madrid considering his comments about Mourinho being one of the managers he’d like to play for again.

Surely last chance saloon for Mourinho reputation. I think he’ll do well though.

Agreed. Hazard is probably gone to madrid. Although hazard has also said that he prefers sarris style of play as it suits him more so not super concrete like you think.

We'll see I guess.
Original post by bj27
Agreed. Hazard is probably gone to madrid. Although hazard has also said that he prefers sarris style of play as it suits him more so not super concrete like you think.

We'll see I guess.

Very tough situation for Chelsea, replacing Hazard is hard enough without a transfer ban. I know they've signed Pulisic but he's predominantly a Right Winger, and Chelsea needed one of them regardless of the Hazard situation.

I do feel Hazard genuinely cares about Chelsea and he won't want to leave them in the ****, just like Griezmann who would have joined us were it not for Atletico's ban. It's not out of the question that he extends his contract by an extra year like Griezmann did.
With what has just happened at Madrid and rumours of Zidane or Jose coming in, Madrid are going to go hard in the transfer market.

You won't be under a ban when the window is open this summer, can't see a reason why it wouldn't go to appeal.
Reply 72
We'll probably have a transfer period in the summer. Literally it's a simple case of buy depay if I'm being honest.

Depay pulisic higuain front 3 sounds good. Hudson odoi and Pedro are more than good enough backups for next season
PSG are surely the biggest bottlers in Europe. Like the only point of their existence is to win the CL and they can barely get past RO16 each season. Bottled a 2-0 away win against Utd, bottled a 4-0 home win against Barcelona like lmao.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 74
PSG will ruin Mbappe. Give him that bottler DNA and it’ll end up with him being a new Neymar.
Original post by Nichrome
PSG are surely the biggest bottlers in Europe. Like the only point of their existence is to win the CL and they can barely get past RO16 each season. Bottled a 2-0 away win against Utd, bottled a 4-0 home win against Barcelona like lmao.

After they equalized it looked like men against boys and all set for a heavy PSG win. Lukaku scores and suddenly they're a bag of nerves. Until they get more competition domestically they will always be under prepared for the biggest games in Europe.

I'm genuinely lost for words at how we've won that.Can't wait to see who we get in the last 8.
So that's Spurs, AJAX, Man Utd and Porto in the quarters. Bloody hell this competition is wide open.
Original post by sr90
After they equalized it looked like men against boys and all set for a heavy PSG win. Lukaku scores and suddenly they're a bag of nerves. Until they get more competition domestically they will always be under prepared for the biggest games in Europe.

I'm genuinely lost for words at how we've won that.Can't wait to see who we get in the last 8.

PSG are massive bottlers. They bought in Buffon for experience and he makes a howler and then the pass back was awful. Penalty was a bit fortunate too. Mbappe would probably score that 1 vs 1 in 9/10 situations.

Can any team win a CL tie if you have 2 howlers and give a way a penalty?
(edited 5 years ago)
Best Champions League season after a long time!

Real Madrid after a humiliation against a great Ajax - out!
PSG slipped after Buffon's blunder and penalty in injury time - out!!

Can this even gets better? Perhaps if Lyon eliminates Barcelona and Liverpool Bayern.
I see this UCL as the revolution of the underdogs! It was my birthday yesterday, and the best present that I received was from the UCL with the Ajax and United results. All that we need to complete the set are the eliminations of Juventus, Barcelona and Bayern. Sorry, but I'm just such a sucker for a good underdog story!

Quick Reply

Latest