The Student Room Group

Linklaters Pathfinder 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ellewilkinson
Sure.

I applied on the 11th February (the last day lol) and I completed the WG on the 18th February.

This does not bode well for me!
When did you apply? Don’t lose hope yet!
Reply 22
Also the last day, and completed the WG at the same time as you. I know of others who have completed the WG later who have seen their portal progress to 'Interview stage' (but not receiving an email).
Update: been offered a place.
how did that happen? didn't you just have an interview? congrats btw!!
Original post by ellewilkinson
Update: been offered a place.
Thanks! Yeah so a few people's candidate portal updated to 'interview' but we didn't get emails, so we assumed we had interviews (which is weird because they don't normally interview for Pathfinder) and then I just got an email offering me a place. I also know of a few people whose profile changed to 'interview' like mine, but haven't received an email about an offer (yet?).

Original post by megachow
how did that happen? didn't you just have an interview? congrats btw!!
Got an offer! :smile:
I didn’t get an interview but I have a place on the scheme?
Same, I think the whole 'interview' update was a technical mistake on their behalf, because Links don't do interviews for Pathfinder.

Original post by 5sports98
I didn’t get an interview but I have a place on the scheme?
I have an offer too :smile: I'm probably picking 20-21st March.
for those who have an offer, mind sharing what the application status on your linklaters portal says right now?
Original post by megachow
for those who have an offer, mind sharing what the application status on your linklaters portal says right now?

“Interview stage - 6th March”
Hi everyone,

I know discussion for this event has already been and gone. But would anyone be so kind as to offer my any words of advice? I am a first year student doing Law, but unfortunately I feel as if I have no chance of success with the top firms. Please feel free to PM me or just respond back in the chat!
Thank you!
Original post by GeorgeMoriarty
Hi everyone,

I know discussion for this event has already been and gone. But would anyone be so kind as to offer my any words of advice? I am a first year student doing Law, but unfortunately I feel as if I have no chance of success with the top firms. Please feel free to PM me or just respond back in the chat!
Thank you!

What kind of advice are you looking for? :smile:
Why is this on my watched threads?
Did I give some half serious advice? Or did I just gatecrash.
Original post by Andrew97
Why is this on my watched threads?
Did I give some half serious advice? Or did I just gatecrash.

For once you actually tried to help out haha.
@CatusStarbright thank you for replying :smile:. So before Tuesday I had no idea the Watson-Glazer test existed. Somehow people have already applied for a mentorship scheme with CC and done this test, and are now getting interviews from them - so that's one reason why I feel behind already, literally over a month in to the course. I would be most grateful if you could provide me with any tips and words of advice for a first year - have I 'missed the bus' by not getting myself involved in this scheme? Thank you

Original post by CatusStarbright
For once you actually tried to help out haha.
Original post by GeorgeMoriarty
@CatusStarbright thank you for replying :smile:. So before Tuesday I had no idea the Watson-Glazer test existed. Somehow people have already applied for a mentorship scheme with CC and done this test, and are now getting interviews from them - so that's one reason why I feel behind already, literally over a month in to the course. I would be most grateful if you could provide me with any tips and words of advice for a first year - have I 'missed the bus' by not getting myself involved in this scheme? Thank you

The important thing to remember is that everything careers-wise must be done at your own pace. You can't let other people rush you, but of course at the same time it is important to make sure you don't disadvantage yourself (e.g. by not applying to things until you're in your third year!). If you're a first year then you're already doing well by applying for things now.

My advice for you - if you already know you're interested in a career in commercial law - would be to attend events by firms that take place in your university and try and build up a picture of how the industry works. Essentially just get to know what life in a law firm is like and find out information about the individual firms to see where you might like to apply to for vacation schemes (legal work experience which can lead to a training contract).

You should also be aware that firms are increasingly seeking to engage first-year students, so see if there are any first-year-specific open days (as well as open days in general, as these are usually for all years). In addition, do some research into the first-year schemes there are out there. I did two last academic year and they were really useful for experience to put on my CV and because I am now being fast-tracked for their vacation schemes which takes some pressure off my applications this year.

Best wishes :smile:
@CatusStarbright Thank you so much! Best wishes
HI guys, I had a question if any of you were willing to reply. I'm at the WG stage of the application, which I think I'll be ok in. However, there seems to be no section in the application to input my experience? I go to ULaw which isn't a Russell group or anything, I'm a 'mature student' (25), did an access course to get into uni etc so I'm not the usual candidate for these things, so I've been gaining a lot of experience throughout first year to prove myself and the selection seems to be based purely on testing if I'm correct? I don't mind either way I'm just very unsure of this procedure. Any help would be fab! Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending