The Student Room Group

Sadiq Khan criticised for taking holiday in middle of knife crime crisis

Scroll to see replies

At least Khan has an excuse for doing nothing now.
Absolute mad lad.
we all need a holiday. let him be.
Original post by Decahedron
Who sets the budget for the underfunded police force? Or how about the law courts that are falling to pieces due to lack of funding?

I guess that has nothing to do with the government.

Well it certainly has nothing to do with the branches of government that are not responsible for its funding, now does it?

Seriously, even if they had more funding, it won't solve the problem, especially considering the fact that it existed long before they became as underfunded as they are now. Go find some practical solutions to the problem if the police can't or are unwilling.
Original post by Qup
Well it certainly has nothing to do with the branches of government that are not responsible for its funding, now does it?

Seriously, even if they had more funding, it won't solve the problem, especially considering the fact that it existed long before they became as underfunded as they are now. Go find some practical solutions to the problem if the police can't or are unwilling.

Well that is just point out the ****ing obvious :facepalm:

What would really help is if the NHS could actually cope with the number of mental health cases it should be dealing with but they aren't funded properly to do so. As such the police are spending inordinate amounts of time acting as crisis handlers and ambulances when it really isn't their remit.
Look at this absolutely mad man. How dare he take a couple of weeks off work to go on holiday for an issue that's been going for entire lives and won't be resolved within the next two weeks?!
Well that is just point out the ****ing obvious :facepalm:

What would really help is if the NHS could actually cope with the number of mental health cases it should be dealing with but they aren't funded properly to do so. As such the police are spending inordinate amounts of time acting as crisis handlers and ambulances when it really isn't their remit.

Okay. Before I make a comment on that, remind me again as to why the NHS is underfunded? And then inform me as to why there are so many suffering from mental health-related issues, assuming they weren't born with anything that would cause them of course.
Original post by Qup
Okay. Before I make a comment on that, remind me again as to why the NHS is underfunded? And then inform me as to why there are so many suffering from mental health-related issues, assuming they weren't born with anything that would cause them of course.

That would be the government, again.

I don't think there is a simple answer as to why MH issues have become such an issue in the last few decades.
If the problem is in London then it is the Mayor of London's responsibility to deal with it, and the media says nothing if he is on holiday.
Pot calling kettle black. Where is Chris Grayling this past week?
Original post by stoyfan
Its a very cheap attack on the mayor of London.

I do find it rather funny when people blame the mayor of London for the spate of attacks when this kind of stuff isn't even in his remit.

In part as the Police is a Mayoral responsibility he should be questioned. However, the problem is not solely down to him, especially as the failed changes to probation and cuts to police numbers are largely down to two of the worst Tories ever to hold public office, Chris Grayling and Boris Johnson.
That would be the government, again.

I don't think there is a simple answer as to why MH issues have become such an issue in the last few decades.

Explain why the government are responsible for the vast increase in mental health issues
The treatment and diagnosis may be underfunded but I’m curious as to how they are the cause.

Equally, whilst some crime is caused by the mentally ill, there is a large proportion caused by drugs, gangs etc
He’s allowed to go on holiday
If he can’t go away when something happens then he’d never get one. He is not a machine. He is legally entitled to holiday days.
Perhaps he should tell the morons who are killing each other his holiday days in advance so they can hold off till he gets back. This is a decades old problem and will continue for many more.
He may be responsible for allocating the budget but he can not dictate how much he receives.
Like the rest of us he cannot spend what he hasn’t got.
Should he use the housing budget instead?
This goes much deeper and is not the responsibility of one man
Original post by TensorTympani
If the problem is in London then it is the Mayor of London's responsibility to deal with it, and the media says nothing if he is on holiday.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sammylou40
Explain why the government are responsible for the vast increase in mental health issues
The treatment and diagnosis may be underfunded but I’m curious as to how they are the cause.

Equally, whilst some crime is caused by the mentally ill, there is a large proportion caused by drugs, gangs etc

Somehow you have missed the point completely on both statements, impressive.

I never said the government were responsible for the rise in mental health issue, I stated quite explicitly there is no simple answer. The government part of the statement was directed at the lack of funding.

Now for part two. The police are not dealing with crimes committed by the mentally ill but calls from those going through mental health crisis.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/27/police-mental-health-system-patients

Context matters.
You are right about knife crime is much lower than it was the 1990s the problem is the media blows crime, especially crime by teenagers out of portion. Children under the age of sixteen are the least likely statistically to be murdered and only 9% of murders of under sixteen is committed by another child and mostly by another family member, not a knife carried by a child in the street.
Original post by Mandem67
You can appeal to emotion as much as you want but the statistics speak for themselves. Knife crime is a pretty small problem in the grand scheme of things and the UK still has one of the lowest murder rates in the world. We’re not going to be able to reduce knife crime that much further. It’s still much lower than it was back in the late nineties and early 2000s.
Original post by NickAlex12
Cancel his holiday and do something about the problem?

yeaaaahhhh. but he's the mayor. not Dr. Who. Still, I see where it looks negligent and disrespectful.
solve the riddle:

How many stabbings does it take for everyone in London to disappear?
Original post by Bang Outta Order
solve the riddle:

How many stabbings does it take for everyone in London to disappear?

Nearly 9 million?
This knife crime crisis has been going on for ages. I have no opinion of the dude but come on he's allowed a holiday.
Reply 59
There’s been a knife crisis in London for like the past 5 years. Surely the guy needs to go on holiday at some point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending