The Student Room Group

Good movies about mental illness?

Can someone recommend me any decent movies about mental illness that accurately represent mental illness?

Scroll to see replies

I don't wanna say it's accurate but i would say perks of being a wallflower is amazing. I love it because i could relate to it a lot from suffering from mental problems myself.
Reply 2
Silent voice - It portrays some aspects of mental illness
Reply 3
The garden of words (animated film). The main storyline is a bit unusual, however I thought it was an interesting insight on seclusion and depression
Currently watching to the bone on netflix-it's good but not sure if you would count eating disorders as a mental illness.I like girl interrupted-the most but it's probably not very realistic.I've seen some other ones but can't recall them now.
YOU MUST watch A Beautiful Mind...
Original post by Deliciate
YOU MUST watch A Beautiful Mind...

I've already seen it a couple years ago-it's about that math professor-good watch.Any other recommendations?
Reply 7
About a boy, isn't necessarily about mental illness however, has some key characters and think you can gain some understanding.
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
Currently watching to the bone on netflix-it's good but not sure if you would count eating disorders as a mental illness.I like girl interrupted-the most but it's probably not very realistic.I've seen some other ones but can't recall them now.

What makes you think eating disorders are not mental illness?
Original post by girl_in_black
What makes you think eating disorders are not mental illness?

I didn't say that it is not-I said Im unsure.I don't know.
I've already seen it a couple years ago-it's about that math professor-good watch.Any other recommendations?

Split, Life Itself (not really centered around mental illness but it's a really good movie, ignore the bad reviews), Identity, Shutter Island, The Machinist (i couldn't finish it cus it was too eerie and weird for me... you might like it tho)

Good anime: PERFECT BLUE (10/10), Monster (but it's a series, it's quite long too... but it's my favourite anime & is honestly a masterpiece), Serial Experiments Lain (again, a series)
Can someone recommend me any decent movies about mental illness that accurately represent mental illness?

fifty first date.
Original post by Deliciate
Split, Life Itself (not really centered around mental illness but it's a really good movie, ignore the bad reviews), Identity, Shutter Island, The Machinist (i couldn't finish it cus it was too eerie and weird for me... you might like it tho)

Good anime: PERFECT BLUE (10/10), Monster (but it's a series, it's quite long too... but it's my favourite anime & is honestly a masterpiece), Serial Experiments Lain (again, a series)

I tried watching monster-the anime series, but I didn't like the animation style or the characters.I looked at the trailer of split, but I don't like horrors.I'll look up the other ones you mentioned though :smile:
Original post by Elliott M
fifty first date.

That's not about mental illness, that's a rom com-which I've already seen anyway...
I haven't seen it, but the Silver Linings Playbook is supposed to be quite good.
That's not about mental illness, that's a rom com-which I've already seen anyway...

worth a shot at a contribution... it's a good film isn't it :smile:
worth a shot at a contribution... it's a good film isn't it :smile:

I only watch drama movies now days and I don't watch any comedies anymore.
(edited 5 years ago)
is that a no?
I only watch drama movies now days and I don't watch any comedies anymore.
I tried watching monster-the anime series, but I didn't like the animation style or the characters.I looked at the trailer of split, but I don't like horrors.I'll look up the other ones you mentioned though :smile:

split really isn't scary/a horror at all. it's very focused around mental health & multiple personality disorder
is that a no?

I used to like things like that-I used to be a big fan of Adam Sandler but I no longer like things like that anymore-so no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending