The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

How hard is it to get into a Masters?

I’m currently in the final year of my BSc psychology course at King’s College and I am on track to get a first. I also did a placement year during my degree that is highly relevant to the Developmental Disorders MSc that I am applying for at the University of Nottingham. If anyone has any advice on what my chances might be I’d really appreciate it!
Original post by Sophielouuu
I’m currently in the final year of my BSc psychology course at King’s College and I am on track to get a first. I also did a placement year during my degree that is highly relevant to the Developmental Disorders MSc that I am applying for at the University of Nottingham. If anyone has any advice on what my chances might be I’d really appreciate it!

Probably > 99%
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
I am on track to get a first... any advice on what my chances might be...

Seriously?

Most MSc programmes are less competitve than you think... as long as you have a 2.1 and the ££££

Even the 2.1 is negotiable at some places but the ££££ isn't.
What do you consider fairly quickly? I applied to Nottingham for an MSc about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard a peep yet.
I guess August is prime time for PG applications. I'm applying so early because I'll be in the US doing Camp America from early June to late August.

Since my last post I have had a response from Nottingham to provide them with academic references so fingers crossed I'll have an offer response soon!
Reply 6
Original post by CTLeafez
I guess August is prime time for PG applications. I'm applying so early because I'll be in the US doing Camp America from early June to late August.

Since my last post I have had a response from Nottingham to provide them with academic references so fingers crossed I'll have an offer response soon!

I’ve submitted mine now too! I know one of my referees has already responded to them but I’m expecting the other to take his time. Would be interested to know when you’ve heard back!
I’ve submitted mine now too! I know one of my referees has already responded to them but I’m expecting the other to take his time. Would be interested to know when you’ve heard back!

Same with you! What faulty/school is your course with? Mine's with the School of Life Sciences. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
Reply 8
Same with you! What faulty/school is your course with? Mine's with the School of Life Sciences. I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

I think mine is just under the School of Psychology! Would you be based at the main campus? Best of luck to you too :smile:
I think mine is just under the School of Psychology! Would you be based at the main campus? Best of luck to you too :smile:

I believe I'll be mainly City Park Campus but also Queen's Medical Centre (nearby hospital). I'm from Nottingham so I'll be commuting in :h:
I believe I'll be mainly City Park Campus but also Queen's Medical Centre (nearby hospital). I'm from Nottingham so I'll be commuting in :h:

Just in case you're still interested I got my offer through yesterday! Hope everything has gone well with yours :smile:
Just in case you're still interested I got my offer through yesterday! Hope everything has gone well with yours :smile:

Congratulations Sophie! :h: I have an interview on Tuesday so fingers crossed we'll be seeing each other around campus come September :biggrin:

I've been looking into the usual PG question the last couple days just so I'm not caught off guard.
Congratulations Sophie! :h: I have an interview on Tuesday so fingers crossed we'll be seeing each other around campus come September :biggrin:

I've been looking into the usual PG question the last couple days just so I'm not caught off guard.

Best of luck! I didn't realise Nottingham did postgrad interviews, I'm pretty glad my course is skipping that part then.
Best of luck! I didn't realise Nottingham did postgrad interviews, I'm pretty glad my course is skipping that part then.

Thank you :smile:

When I was researching PG courses I swear I read Nottingham always interviews their biology-based PG courses, but when I've been looking recently I can't find anything saying that now...

Tbh I'm sort of glad to get an interview. There's some stuff I didn't put in my PS which I think would be good to mention in the interview. Also gives me an excuse to go back home (from Nottingham) for a couple days! :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Thank you :smile:

When I was researching PG courses I swear I read Nottingham always interviews their biology-based PG courses, but when I've been looking recently I can't find anything saying that :':wink:

Tbh I'm sort of glad to get an interview. There's some stuff I didn't put in my PS which I think would be good to mention in the interview. Also gives me an excuse to go back home (from Nottingham) for a couple days! :biggrin:

Well sounds like you're going to smash it then, I'm sure you'll have an offer through in no time at all! :smile:
Well sounds like you're going to smash it then, I'm sure you'll have an offer through in no time at all! :smile:

Thank you, fingers crossed :P I do truly want to go Nottingham

If you don't mind me asking, what's your offer like? Is it like UG UCAS where they ask for a specific grade? e.g. "Applicant requires a 2:1 in their undergraduate degree course."
Thank you, fingers crossed :P I do truly want to go Nottingham

If you don't mind me asking, what's your offer like? Is it like UG UCAS where they ask for a specific grade? e.g. "Applicant requires a 2:1 in their undergraduate degree course."

Yeah it is! It just says that I have to complete my degree with an overall minimum of 60% and provide evidence
Oh fab, thank you! Did you stay in the uni accommodation or were you private/commuting?
Yeah it is! It just says that I have to complete my degree with an overall minimum of 60% and provide evidence

Not too shabby :h: I've got 9 weeks until my final exam then I'm free of Undergraduate

I assume the evidence would be your official transcript from your UG uni?
Are there not as many PG students as you'd expect then at Nottingham?

What course do you do again?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending