The Student Room Group

I’ve been crying for 5 days

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's still clearing for offers for something you actually want to do... all is not lost.
Reply 2
Original post by koliko.o
I don’t know what to do anymore. I got offers for a degree that I don’t really want and probably couldn’t manage anyway. I only applied for it out of illusion of better employment possibilities and pressure. I’m not from UK so waiting another year could mean not getting student loan. I am so desperate, I feel like this my last chance for actually making it out of this *****y country and family and now I ****ing wasted it.

What degree is it you’ve been offered and where from?
I wanted to go to a “better” school and they don’t usually have clearings.

There are Russell Group unis in clearing, so its maybe worth considering.
Mh, are you from the EU and worried because of Brexit? If so, I highly doubt that student support will change during the transition period. Anyway there's always clearing although as you mentioned top-ranked unis don't participate. What course did you apply for and what would you rather study?
I don’t know what to do anymore. I got offers for a degree that I don’t really want and probably couldn’t manage anyway. I only applied for it out of illusion of better employment possibilities and pressure. I’m not from UK so waiting another year could mean not getting student loan. I am so desperate, I feel like this my last chance for actually making it out of this *****y country and family and now I ****ing wasted it.

You arent really giving us any context or detail.
1. There will be plenty in clearing.
2. You should know before then whether theres a brexit deal anyway, in which case you wuld have another year at least.

Certainly not worth crying over.
Reply 6
Yes, I’m from EU. I applied for English Language/Linguistics and I’d want to do Illustration.

There will be plenty of courses for illustration in clearing - it’s hardly the most competitive degree.

Research where you want to go and what appeals and you’ll find a place.
Maybe also look into UCAS Extra if you're sure you don't want to study English and you don't want to wait for clearing to open :smile:
1. A university degree from a British "Russell Group" university is not the end all be all of who you are nor should you let academic success define you or your happiness. I know this sounds like wishy-washy advice but it's true and you'll see that once you get out into the real world. University degrees train people to work in offices. Many successful people never even went to university. You'll be okay.
2. Take a year out. Live with your parents and work in retail for four months. Then go travel. Explore Europe. Explore the world. Go to Australia and work at a farm. Hitchhike and fall in love with cities you don't know how to pronounce. Even if it's just for two weeks or three weeks or four weeks. You won't regret it. Life is short.
3. If you're an EU student and afraid about losing funding, I'd genuinely consider another city. Amsterdam, Stockholm and Prague have some of the best universities in the world. There's no point in settling for a shity degree and living in Derby for three years when there are 27 other countries to choose from. Or if you've lived here for long and England is your life and you cannot consider living elsewhere, apply for settled status after Brexit - you'd still be eligible for tuition loans. But it's certainly an interesting context when the definition of a desirable country is a country which will allow you to take out £50,000 in student loans to get a degree which you could have gotten for free at a better university elsewhere in Europe.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
You arent really giving us any context or detail.
1. There will be plenty in clearing.
2. You should know before then whether theres a brexit deal anyway, in which case you wuld have another year at least.

Certainly not worth crying over.

They don’t post the decision about EU funding until September, which is too late.
you can go through adjustment for better universities. you can also ask to change your course for a university that youve got into!
Original post by angelinahx
1. A university degree from a British "Russell Group" university is not the end all be all of who you are nor should you let academic success define you or your happiness. I know this sounds like wishy-washy advice but it's true and you'll see that once you get out into the real world. University degrees train people to work in offices. Many successful people never even went to university. You'll be okay.
2. Take a year out. Live with your parents and work in retail for four months. Then go travel. Explore Europe. Explore the world. Go to Australia and work at a farm. Hitchhike and fall in love with cities you don't know how to pronounce. If it's just for two weeks or three weeks or four weeks. You won't regret it. Life is short.
3. If you're an EU student and afraid about losing funding, I'd genuinely consider another city. Amsterdam, Stockholm and Prague have some of the best universities in the world. There's no point in settling for a shity degree and living in Derby for three years when there are 27 other countries to choose from. Or if you've lived here for long and England is your life and you cannot consider living elsewhere, apply for settled status after Brexit - you'd still be eligible for tuition loans. But it's certainly an interesting context when the definition of a desirable country is a country which will allow you to take out £50,000 in student loans to get a degree which you could have gotten for free at a better university elsewhere in Europe.

Can’t afford to waste money/time like that.
Can’t afford to waste money/time like that.

Literally, what's the rush? You're probably like 18 years old. You could go to university in a year or two years or three years and actually live first.
They don’t post the decision about EU funding until September, which is too late.

If theres a deal there will be a transition face, which means we pretty much stay in the EU until that ends.

Theres also clearing which has many vacancies.

You havent really given us as much about your situation, so its hard to advise you.
Can’t afford to waste time like that.

Woah, it's not a waste of time... It's an investment in yourself! I too would suggest looking into European universities I'm sure there are some excellent institutions for artistic courses like illustration. If that's not what you want, enter UCAS Extra. Maybe wait until the end of the month to get a feel of what kind of Brexit we will be getting. If you can't find anything, I'd suggest considering applying to Scottish universities next year, which are likely to remain EU-friendly after Brexit.
Original post by Arisapo
There will be plenty of courses for illustration in clearing - it’s hardly the most competitive degree.

lol rude
How are you going to pay for your maintenance assuming you did start in 2019?
Original post by angelinahx
Literally, what's the rush? You're probably like 18 years old. You could go to university in a year or two years or three years and actually live first.

I'm old and I haven't accomplished anything yet. I can't afford to blow money on roaming through the world. I don't want to travel anyway.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
How are you going to pay for your maintenance assuming you did start in 2019?

I guess I'd apply for maintenance loan.
You do know illustration isn’t a competitive course and you could apply to literally any university through clearing with subpar grades and get in?

Surprised any RG ones even offer it if I’m honest.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending