The Student Room Group

Canadian Ontario student for UK Medicine School

I am looking to apply to UK Medical Schools for 2019/20. I am starting this thread to reach out and connect with others in my situation. I will be writing my UKCAT in September. I am considering Scottish Universities mostly including Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and St. Andrews. My average percentage for Grade 11 is a touch above 90% with 97% in Biology and 93% in Chemistry. Any feedback or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah894
I am looking to apply to UK Medical Schools for 2019/20. I am starting this thread to reach out and connect with others in my situation. I will be writing my UKCAT in September. I am considering Scottish Universities mostly including Dundee, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and St. Andrews. My average percentage for Grade 11 is a touch above 90% with 97% in Biology and 93% in Chemistry. Any feedback or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Do you know about St Andrews Canadian Medical Programme?

https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a990/videos/

other than that not really familiar with the Canadian system :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
I’m also from a Canadian (Ontario) student. Did you eventually apply? If so how’s your application going?
Reply 3
Hi there, nice to meet you. I did apply and am still waiting for decisions from Edinburgh and Aberdeen. I had my Aberdeen interview in January. I got pre interview rejections from St. Andrews and Dundee. What about you? Have you applied to any UK medical schools? What are your stats and UKCAT?
Same here. I applied to Birmingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool and St. Andrews. I got rejection from Edinburgh and Liverpool. I had an interview at St. Andrews last month and have received an offer. I haven’t heard back from Birmingham. My first Canadian offer also came in today too for U of T Life Sciences. Stats are Biology 94%, Chemistry 90%, Advanced Functions 97%, Calculus 97%. UKCAT 670 SJT Band 3
Hi there, nice to meet you. I did apply and am still waiting for decisions from Edinburgh and Aberdeen. I had my Aberdeen interview in January. I got pre interview rejections from St. Andrews and Dundee. What about you? Have you applied to any UK medical schools? What are your stats and UKCAT?
Reply 5
Great! I got my offer from UofT Life Sciences today as well. I also have offer's from Waterloo, Western and Carleton. I am waiting anxiously to hear back from Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Glad to know you got an offer from St. Andrews as they rejected me pre-interview which was a set back. Are you from Toronto? Would you be accepting the St. Andrew's offer or would prefer going to school in Canada?

Original post by TAnna02
Same here. I applied to Birmingham, Edinburgh, Liverpool and St. Andrews. I got rejection from Edinburgh and Liverpool. I had an interview at St. Andrews last month and have received an offer. I haven’t heard back from Birmingham. My first Canadian offer also came in today too for U of T Life Sciences. Stats are Biology 94%, Chemistry 90%, Advanced Functions 97%, Calculus 97%. UKCAT 670 SJT Band 3
I also applied to Western, McMaster and McGill but haven’t heard back. I applied to Irish medical schools too. I’ve had an interview with RCSI and waiting to hear from UCD and Galway.
Thanks. I know what you mean about the set back. I was disappointed when I got the rejections. I think I’ll firm St Andrews if I don’t hear back from any of the Irish ones. I’m from Oakville and you?
What was your UKCAT score and your Stats?
Great! I got my offer from UofT Life Sciences today as well. I also have offer's from Waterloo, Western and Carleton. I am waiting anxiously to hear back from Aberdeen and Edinburgh. Glad to know you got an offer from St. Andrews as they rejected me pre-interview which was a set back. Are you from Toronto? Would you be accepting the St. Andrew's offer or would prefer going to school in Canada?
Reply 7
What a small world. I live in Milton. My Grade 11 stats are 97% Biology, 93% Chemistry, 86% Function and 83% English. My UKCAT was a bit disappointing :frown: 645 SJT 2. My first choice is Edinburgh followed by Aberdeen if I get offer.
Original post by TAnna02
I also applied to Western, McMaster and McGill but haven’t heard back. I applied to Irish medical schools too. I’ve had an interview with RCSI and waiting to hear from UCD and Galway.
Thanks. I know what you mean about the set back. I was disappointed when I got the rejections. I think I’ll firm St Andrews if I don’t hear back from any of the Irish ones. I’m from Oakville and you?
What was your UKCAT score and your Stats?
What?? It’s a very small world indeed. Wish I had read your post earlier. We could have possibly studied for the UKCAT together. Wishing you all the best with Edinburgh and Aberdeen.
Would you consider applying to any of the Irish medical schools?
I grew up in the U.K. before moving to Canada so have a relative knowledge of some schools. Let me know if you have any questions.
What a small world. I live in Milton. My Grade 11 stats are 97% Biology, 93% Chemistry, 86% Function and 83% English. My UKCAT was a bit disappointing :frown: 645 SJT 2. My first choice is Edinburgh followed by Aberdeen if I get offer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Did you apply for the A100 or A900 at St. Andrews? I applied for the A100.
I’m from Oakville too! Congrats on your offers!
Reply 11
I got rejected from Edinburgh University but have been offered to be placed on "Wait List". I don't know what the chances would be on the wait list but the email states that I had a near miss so hoping for the best.
So sorry to hear that. The fact that the email states “near miss” is reassuring. I’m sure they’ll get back to you once some people reject their offer. Wishing you the very best.
I got rejected from Edinburgh University but have been offered to be placed on "Wait List". I don't know what the chances would be on the wait list but the email states that I had a near miss so hoping for the best.
Oh wow! Such a small world. Which universities did you apply to?
Original post by carol.k
I’m from Oakville too! Congrats on your offers!
I applied to Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield and Queen Belfast ; 700 average and STJ band 3.
Oh nice! It’s a relief to know that there are other local Canadian students who are also considering medical school in the UK. Have you received any offers? If so which one are you firming? I received an email from Birmingham on Friday saying that they’ll get back to me by the end of this month and I also received an offer RCSI on the same day but still waiting to hear back from UCD and Galway.
Original post by carol.k
I applied to Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield and Queen Belfast ; 700 average and STJ band 3.
Original post by TAnna02
Oh nice! It’s a relief to know that there are other local Canadian students who are also considering medical school in the UK. Have you received any offers? If so which one are you firming? I received an email from Birmingham on Friday saying that they’ll get back to me by the end of this month and I also received an offer RCSI on the same day but still waiting to hear back from UCD and Galway.

Yeah I have, I’ve gotten Newcastle,
Nottingham and Sheffield. I firmed Newcastle and insuranced Nottingham. I didnt end up going to my Belfast interview just because it was after I had already gotten offers.
Congrats. Were you assessed as an international student? I’m British (but moved to Canada nearly 8 years ago) so was assessed as an international student.

Original post by carol.k
Yeah I have, I’ve gotten Newcastle,
Nottingham and Sheffield. I firmed Newcastle and insuranced Nottingham. I didnt end up going to my Belfast interview just because it was after I had already gotten offers.
Yes Im considered international, I honestly haven’t found many other Canadian students applying. How were your Ireland Interviews?
Original post by TAnna02
Congrats. Were you assessed as an international student? I’m British (but moved to Canada nearly 8 years ago) so was assessed as an international student.
Same here. I got an offer from RCSI and waiting to hear back from UCD and Galway

Original post by carol.k
Yes Im considered international, I honestly haven’t found many other Canadian students applying. How were your Ireland Interviews?

Latest

Trending

Trending