The Student Room Group

PhD Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am an international applicant. I have completed the application process to the Department of Medicine at Imperial College London in mid January. However, I hear nothing from the university until now. I am so worried and anxious. Just could not calm my nerves.
Original post by TintinY
I am an international applicant. I have completed the application process to the Department of Medicine at Imperial College London in mid January. However, I hear nothing from the university until now. I am so worried and anxious. Just could not calm my nerves.

Maybe you should send them an email to ask about the status of your application. I had to wait more than a month to get an interview invitation, but you've waited even longer than that.
Reply 42
Has anyone else been nominated for an ESRC award - DTP route.
As for me, I have been nominated to the White Rose DTP cluster. I am eagerly awaiting results....
Original post by sc34389
As for me, I have been nominated to the White Rose DTP cluster. I am eagerly awaiting results....

What are you intending to study?
Original post by sc34389

My friends who got nominated last year for a different DTP had to wait just under a month to hear if they'd got funding. I'm not sure if this is a standard waiting time for all DTPs though...
Reply 45
Hey thanks, I have been told two months and I found out about the nomination early Feb. I also found a useful document, guidance for supervisor on White Rose Website which has a timeline. I will share the timeline below:

25 Feb - 8 March (2019) - Prepare assessment scoring sheets for assessors
11 - 22 March - Assessors to score nominations
25 March - 5 April - Processing scores and preparing panel meetings
10 April - Another Panel
11 April - Advanced Quant Award assesment panel
W/C 15 April - Scholarship admins notified of decisions
26 April - Deadline for admins to notify outcome
Original post by PhoenixFortune
My friends who got nominated last year for a different DTP had to wait just under a month to hear if they'd got funding. I'm not sure if this is a standard waiting time for all DTPs though...
Reply 46
International Development related PhD
Original post by TomBomo
What are you intending to study?
Reply 47
One more question please - do you know what the outcome was? How many managed to gain scholarships ? Thank you!
Original post by sc34389
One more question please - do you know what the outcome was? How many managed to gain scholarships ? Thank you!

I met them at university because they already had their studentships, so I don't know any unsuccessful applicants/the ratio of offers to rejections.
Nervously joining this thread. Tomorrow I will be submitting ESRC DTP application. I know next to nothing about applying for studentships as I didn't expect I could even consider it after struggling with my MA two years ago. But here I am anyway.

Oh and it's an advertised post. Museum studies.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by donutaud15
Nervously joining this thread. Tomorrow I will be submitting ESRC DTP application. I know next to nothing about applying for studentships as I didn't expect I could even consider it after struggling with my MA two years ago. But here I am anyway.

Oh and it's an advertised post. Museum studies.

Welcome! I didn't know anything either until I met people who already had funding and they told me about it. Good luck!
Welcome! I didn't know anything either until I met people who already had funding and they told me about it. Good luck!

Thank you. I literally have no idea what to expect beyond sending the application. Also trying not to think about it so it doesn't hurt as much if I don't get it if that makes sense.
Thank you. I literally have no idea what to expect beyond sending the application. Also trying not to think about it so it doesn't hurt as much if I don't get it if that makes sense.

I knew the the DTP that I applied to had this sort of timescale: submit application, interview, get nominated, given funding/place, but not how long each gap between steps is. So far I waited more than a month to get an interview, so it can take ages.

I'm lucky that I haven't come across anyone else applying for the same uni/studentship, so I don't have the temptation to compare myself to anyone/know who the competition is. It definitely helps!
I knew the the DTP that I applied to had this sort of timescale: submit application, interview, get nominated, given funding/place, but not how long each gap between steps is. So far I waited more than a month to get an interview, so it can take ages.

I'm lucky that I haven't come across anyone else applying for the same uni/studentship, so I don't have the temptation to compare myself to anyone/know who the competition is. It definitely helps!

The deadline for mine is the 11th and I was told they are anticipating the interview will be on the 19th. Whoever gets it submits an application to the university. It is totally nerve wracking.

Same here. I made that mistake with my last job interview (I was an internal candidate so I kind of knew the competition) and drove myself crazy comparing.

Good luck on your application!

Fantastic. It's funny like that, I didn't really consider it until last February and a year later I got on one.
Original post by marinade
Fantastic. It's funny like that, I didn't really consider it until last February and a year later I got on one.

That gives me hope!
Hi all

I’m waiting to hear back from ESRC. I didn’t have to interview - just preliminary application and then asked to complete a full one. I’ll hear back by the end of May.

I’m also waiting to hear back from CHASE/AHRC. I submitted an application, was nominated for an interview (which I passed) am now waiting for the final result. The consortium will assess the nominated applications through a panel, and I’ll hear back by the end of April.

I’ve already started my PhD, I’m one year in. I’m self funded (loan and part time work and help from family when possible) and it’s pretty challenging doing it this way (at least in my case, I only had one year gap in between my masters and PhD).

Good luck to everyone! I hope we all receive some positive news :smile:
Reply 57
Thanks for your advice. I have sent one to the professor last week but got no reply yet. Maybe I should send one more to the admission office.
Maybe you should send them an email to ask about the status of your application. I had to wait more than a month to get an interview invitation, but you've waited even longer than that.
Really silly question but how long do people wait until they are contacted? Deadline was today and in the advert it says 'It is anticipate that interviews will be held on Tuesday 19th March 2019' however I was told over the phone it'll probably be a month at least before any contact from the university. I'm confused.
Really silly question but how long do people wait until they are contacted? Deadline was today and in the advert it says 'It is anticipate that interviews will be held on Tuesday 19th March 2019' however I was told over the phone it'll probably be a month at least before any contact from the university. I'm confused.

I think it's easy to overanalyse it, I don't have experience of applying for funding bodies being offered a PhD and then waiting on the funding body.

One of the issues I had was the central admissions v departmental. As sometimes I'm sat in an office with an administrator and the last month there have been a lot of comings and going between professors, readers, senior lecturers and about a dozen people on MScs talking a lot about their PhD process and waiting and offers, within one of my departments I 'understand' things a bit more. I understand the 're-arranged' interview I had is somewhat more normal than I had thought. I now understand that each of the staff have more recent/distant past with particular funding bodies so the answers they will give students can be different or 'I don't know' when they know a bit, but that'd be unhelpful to say otherwise. Or they have to keep their views quiet as they think the candidate is fantastic but they've had fantastic candidates knocked back by the funding bodies before.

It's genuinely really difficult to get the people in the room at the same time and it seems to give them time to prepare, so I wouldn't read too much into it just like I did. In universities there's also seems to be the process of 'back up' candidates for jobs and PhDs. If they have to re-advertise it's catastrophic and people really, really do drop out/get offered multiple PhDs and then occasionally not tell people oh I'm accepting the other one for a while (which wastes time). So sometimes the backup candidate it kept in the dark for a while (say a week).

If you don't hear anything by thursday night on Friday I'd send a polite e-mail enquiring about whether there are interviews next week. If the interviews don't happen next week I wouldn't worry that much, I'd be contacting again last few days of March as it's starting to get awfully close to Easter.

One of the things you probably want to think about is if you're offered it or when they ask how long you want to decide. Some people will want to bump you into it straight away. I told them a week, which I stuck to and it seems normal to say a few days a week. The academics do genuinely for reasons already stated worry like mad about the top candidate dropping out.

I had re-arrange, re-arrange, delay, delay, problems with dept admissions, problems with central admissions - off you go!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending