The Student Room Group

Getting used to a new car?

Easy,

Just had my new car delivered with 2 miles on the clock. Just trying to park it up I nearly stalled it and smashed on the brakes due to them being really sharp so it's gonna take a while to get used to!

How long did it take you to get used to your car and what did you do? I'm planning on driving it a shed ton tonight to get used to it as I've got a 100 mile trip tomorrow.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Maybe not relevant, but I passed in manual and started driving automatic immediately on the same day. The brakes on my car are also sharp - almost had a heart attack when I pressed the brake a bit too hard for the first time lol. Took me a few days to get the hang of manoeuvring during parking though as my car is bigger than the one I was learning in.

And congrats on your new car!!! x
I picked up my new car and was used to it after 50 miles or so. Learn the size of the car and then push it a bit on some faster roads so you know its limits.
I too picked up my car brand new from the dealership, then had the drive back home to Belfast, which was like a 500 miles journey + ferry etc. I had the same issues with brakes, as they're very sharp. Anyway, I was used to it after like 20 miles. Took it around a few quiet roads, for a like 1 hour, to get used to its shape, and handling etc, before hitting the motorway.

Just drive it around roads; both quite and busy roads. And if you can, go on dual carriageway or motorways to test its limits etc. Of course, do be safe.
Reply 4
Original post by xDron3
How long did it take you to get used to your car

About 2 minutes.

Original post by xDron3
what did you do?

Drove it.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
About 2 minutes.

Drove it.

I’ve been mugged off here
I'd say a good 100 miles until you really start getting comfortable with it. I do lease deals on cars so I get a brand new one every 3 years, and like you, where the brakes are brand new when you're first driving it you just can't seem to brake smoothly :lol: Then when you accelerate the pedal just feels non-responsive in comparison. A little while of driving and you simultaneously wear down the brakes a little so they're not so harsh, as well as getting used to the feel of the car.
Reply 7
Original post by xDron3
I’ve been mugged off here

It's true 🤷
Reply 8
Original post by IWMTom
It's true 🤷

It was true.. For some reason I was bricking it to drive it home from work. No idea why, it was easy.
Reply 9
Original post by xDron3
It was true.. For some reason I was bricking it to drive it home from work. No idea why, it was easy.

In your defence, I did scrape the passenger door along a brick pillar backing into my driveway the first night I had the car (less than 24 hours since picking it up) to swap a wheel because I got a puncture in the first few hours...

That was fun.
Reply 10
Original post by IWMTom
In your defence, I did scrape the passenger door along a brick pillar backing into my driveway the first night I had the car (less than 24 hours since picking it up) to swap a wheel because I got a puncture in the first few hours...

That was fun.

Ehhhh that sounds like a nightmare. If ever there was a time for a Sad react on TSR it would be now
Reply 11
Original post by xDron3
Ehhhh that sounds like a nightmare. If ever there was a time for a Sad react on TSR it would be now

It's okay, it was only a small scrape like a 1" by 1" square. The door was eventually resprayed at no cost to me by a Volkswagen dealer after they broke my car a few months later :smile:

I've had fun with this car... :smile: :smile: :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by IWMTom
I've had fun with this car... :smile: :smile: :smile:

Can't tell if that's serious or you're literally losing the s*** with the car and going insane :laugh:

What car is it?
Original post by xDron3
Easy,

Just had my new car delivered with 2 miles on the clock. Just trying to park it up I nearly stalled it and smashed on the brakes due to them being really sharp so it's gonna take a while to get used to!

How long did it take you to get used to your car and what did you do? I'm planning on driving it a shed ton tonight to get used to it as I've got a 100 mile trip tomorrow.

You do get used to any car after some time spent in it. After your trip, you'll probably be used to it afterwards.
Reply 14
Original post by xDron3
Can't tell if that's serious or you're literally losing the s*** with the car and going insane :laugh:

What car is it?

It's the latter.

Mk7 Golf - don't let a dealer touch your car.. ever..

In reference to my previous posts about ****ing my car in the first 24 hours, I refer you to the following clip:

[video="youtube;t93u0qg5q_M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t93u0qg5q_M[/video]
I find you get used to them relatively quickly. Definitely go for a good drive tonight if you can, on different kinds of roads, and practice on the brake to find out the exact sensitivity of it. You'll be fine :smile:.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
It's the latter.

Mk7 Golf - don't let a dealer touch your car.. ever..

In reference to my previous posts about ****ing my car in the first 24 hours, I refer you to the following clip:

[video="youtube;t93u0qg5q_M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t93u0qg5q_M[/video]

Thought those golfs we're meant to be spot on in their early years in terms of no problems? Cracking song choice btw
Reply 17
Original post by xDron3
Thought those golfs we're meant to be spot on in their early years in terms of no problems? Cracking song choice btw

It was fine until the stealer decided to do a software update and permanently ****ed my electronic parking brake :smile:
I got used to it after driving nearly everyday for a few weeks.
Hi I just passed my test four weeks ago and I am in the same boat , it feels really different in my new car confidence is taking a bit of a knock ,but got my driving instructor to take me out a few times .just hope i dont keep staling the bloody thingand am not even thinking of going out on my own yet .

Quick Reply

Latest