The Student Room Group

People who got a 2:1 law degree:

What are you up to nowadays?

Were you still able to get a job in the legal field? Do you regret not getting a 1st?
Reply 1
Original post by Human_bean

Were you still able to get a job in the legal field? Do you regret not getting a 1st?

Moved to Legal via Law :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Doones
Moved to Legal via Law :smile:

Thank you 🙂

Currently doing the LPC full time, whilst juggling part time work + citizen advice volunteering + still seeking paralegal role.

As for 1st. I wish I had gone to a better uni and plus I knew my limitations which I couldnt overcome to get that 1st.
No, only students with a 1st become lawyers. The rest either become HR or in-house personnel. Sarcasm aside, 2.1 includes a broad range of marks from 60 to 69. I would say that 64+ you should have no problems in terms of grades to get to interview stages, where your personality will take the centre stage. Around the 60 mark I wouldn't bet on it, at least not with the usual big firms. Btw 1st is the great minority of students and I have met quite a few 1st students who just weren't made up for being lawyers or having the wit to do anything aside from regurgitating ready-made information spoonfed to them. Also don't forget that numerous students have parents, relatives etc. who help them out by way of career advice and organisation. Substantially you could be on the same level but practically not due to different access to resources. As an example you can check Skadden's managing partner who finished with a 2.2 yet worked his way up. I would say the most common mark in big firm's is a high 2.1.
Reply 5
I’m sorry to hear that 😟 it’s something others in the profession have told me too. I really do need to sit down and consider my options at some point.
What do you plan on doing after this?

(Also - did you know people at your job who got their without a 1st?)

Thanks 🙂
Reply 6
Original post by DarkChaoz95
Currently doing the LPC full time, whilst juggling part time work + citizen advice volunteering + still seeking paralegal role.

As for 1st. I wish I had gone to a better uni and plus I knew my limitations which I couldnt overcome to get that 1st.

Good luck! I wish you all the best with it and well done for getting a 2:1 in that case 😁.

What uni did you go to if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 7
Original post by Lord_Jeggings
No, only students with a 1st become lawyers. The rest either become HR or in-house personnel. Sarcasm aside, 2.1 includes a broad range of marks from 60 to 69. I would say that 64+ you should have no problems in terms of grades to get to interview stages, where your personality will take the centre stage. Around the 60 mark I wouldn't bet on it, at least not with the usual big firms. Btw 1st is the great minority of students and I have met quite a few 1st students who just weren't made up for being lawyers or having the wit to do anything aside from regurgitating ready-made information spoonfed to them. Also don't forget that numerous students have parents, relatives etc. who help them out by way of career advice and organisation. Substantially you could be on the same level but practically not due to different access to resources. As an example you can check Skadden's managing partner who finished with a 2.2 yet worked his way up. I would say the most common mark in big firm's is a high 2.1.

Haha 😄!

Yes I agree with you, the main problem for me is, my parents didn’t actually go to uni and don’t have any contacts in these sectors. So I really do need to figure out everything by myself.

Thanks for that example - shows you really can work your way up if you’re good at what you do.
Haha 😄!

Yes I agree with you, the main problem for me is, my parents didn’t actually go to uni and don’t have any contacts in these sectors. So I really do need to figure out everything by myself.

Thanks for that example - shows you really can work your way up if you’re good at what you do.

I used to be like you - totally down on myself because 'my academics were holding me back' or because 'my parents didn't have the right connections' or whatever.

Even if there is some truth to these things you are going to need to see past these obstacles to get that TC/paralegal role/ apprenticeship whatever - that's the real story here.

As Lord_Jeggings has already noted, getting a TC is not some kind of Holy Grail - it is when the hard work really begins. It is cliché but resilience (hint hint, keyword for applications) is a big part of working in the legal field.. you will probably (at some point) get negative feedback from your co-workers, your supervisor and from your clients too. You've got to 'back yourself', even at this early stage of the game. If you made it to interview for a role at this point I can guarantee you wouldn't get it with your current mindset. Once you've got the right mindset you will be a shoo-in.

I, and many others I'm sure, have obtained a TC (or qualified through alternative means) without stellar academics. I had average A-levels, a 2:1 from a non-Russel Group uni (not a law degree), a GDL and a few months paralegal work when I landed my TC.

Feel free to PM me if you want any advice :smile:
If this brings any solace to you, I achieved a mid 2.1, my parents did not go to uni, i had numerous domestic issues during my first uni year which hindered my performance, and no contacts within the sector whatsoever. Bear in mind Year 1 I got a 2.2 and Year 3 some of the highest grades in class. Obviously I had extenuating reasons to justify my Year 1 results, but the biggest obstacle was unravelling the way I should approach firms and the qualities I had to demonstrate. To that respect, I used to not get into interview stages whatsoever, until I got accurate advice, and was suddenly moving on to the next stages with 50% of my apps. Aside from grades I had numerous internships, achievements such as a publication, and organisational roles, all of which complemented my profile. Result is I have a TC with a US firm. I would say get advice on your apps from as many sources as possible; uni career centres, successful TC applicants etc.
Haha 😄!

(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest