The Student Room Group

Recall Petition in Peterborough - By election?

Bercow has just announced a Recall Petition for the disgraced Labour MP Fiona Onasanya.

If 10% of the electorate support it she loses her seat and there will be a by election in a hyper Labour marginal with a majority of less than a thousand.

Tasty!
Original post by generallee
Bercow has just announced a Recall Petition for the disgraced Labour MP Fiona Onasanya.

If 10% of the electorate support it she loses her seat and there will be a by election in a hyper Labour marginal with a majority of less than a thousand.

Tasty!

More important is that she will have the opportunity of reaping the real rewards of her actions. She will not be a Labour candidate this time and has no chance of winning a by-election so is probably going to put all her eggs in the "please don't recall me" basket, with a look over her shoulder at the likelihood of being struck off by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

Perhaps she will try to become a media personality.
Original post by Good bloke
Perhaps she will try to become a media personality.

I am perhaps more concerned for her mental health.

She, a professional lawyer, attended the Court of Appeal today, as a litigant in person without any case papers.
Original post by nulli tertius
I am perhaps more concerned for her mental health.

She, a professional lawyer, attended the Court of Appeal today, as a litigant in person without any case papers.

I'm not sure she really needed any. The brief report I read indicated she basically made a plea that, despite all the evidence to the contrary, she was innocent - no allegation of trial irregularity, jury collusion, or any sensible ground for appeal. It seems to have been a way of whiling away a day or two and preserving her PM salary for a while longer before her constituents have their say. I'm not sure she is a very competent solicitor. Either that or she, as you say, has mental health problems. She even missed the trick of being ill for a week and needing an adjournment and new appeal date further down the road.
Reply 4
moved to UK politics.
Reply 5
The question is begged, how on earth did this professionally incompetent person, demonstrating gross moral turpitude ever get selected as a Labour candidate in an eminently winnable seat? (Which she prevailed in despite the tide being somewhat against the party?).

Even by the low standards of contemporary politics that is shocking. But call me a cynic,it is hard not to feel that the fact she is a woman of colour had something to do with it.
The question is begged, how on earth did this professionally incompetent person, demonstrating gross moral turpitude ever get selected as a Labour candidate in an eminently winnable seat? (Which she prevailed in despite the tide being somewhat against the party?).

Even by the low standards of contemporary politics that is shocking. But call me a cynic,it is hard not to feel that the fact she is a woman of colour had something to do with it.

This is 20/20 hindsight. There really is nothing in her background to suggest she would be as bent as a 7 bob note. Her background looks the same as umpteen aspiring politicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiona_Onasanya
Certainly hope so, this is one seat where I’d probably vote Tory if Stewart Jackson tries to retake it.
Reply 8
This is 20/20 hindsight. There really is nothing in her background to suggest she would be as bent as a 7 bob note. Her background looks the same as umpteen aspiring politicians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiona_Onasanya

Maybe this is confirmation bias on my part, but the current desperation to get MPs selected who tick “diversity” boxes does seem to have thrown up some real shysters.

Having said that the calibre of all our politicians is shockingly low. In some ways I wouldn’t mind a statesman who cheated on his wife (or her husband) or even was financially dishonest, so long as they were really competent. The fact they are ALL so cr@p, at their job, such pygmies in historical terms, that is what is so damaging to the country.

When we REALLY need leadership we end up with Corbyn and May, and Vince Cable.
Maybe this is confirmation bias on my part, but the current desperation to get MPs selected who tick “diversity” boxes does seem to have thrown up some real shysters.

Having said that the calibre of all our politicians is shockingly low. In some ways I wouldn’t mind a statesman who cheated on his wife (or her husband) or even was financially dishonest, so long as they were really competent. The fact they are ALL so cr@p, at their job, such pygmies in historical terms, that is what is so damaging to the country.

When we REALLY need leadership we end up with Corbyn and May, and Vince Cable.

PRSOM

Couldn’t agree more. If only one of those idiots with the guy fawkes masks actually had a set of balls 😂

of course, I believe they’re vetted to make sure they’re either a complete moron, corrupt , compromised somehow or utterly dogmatic to the ruling power structure*.

(Eg see the likes of Chris Grayling, Chucka Umunna, Keith Vaz and Anna Soubry, respectively)
Original post by Davij038
Certainly hope so, this is one seat where I’d probably vote Tory if Stewart Jackson tries to retake it.

Should be extremely interesting. National polling even if we exclude Youguv suggests the Tories should have an easy time (feb averages are 40-41 vs 33-36) however by-elections typically see the government given a beating and other than Copeland this would only be the second by-election seat gained by the government since the 80’s.
Hopefully this will coincide with the Newport by election
Original post by Rakas21
Should be extremely interesting. National polling even if we exclude Youguv suggests the Tories should have an easy time (feb averages are 40-41 vs 33-36) however by-elections typically see the government given a beating and other than Copeland this would only be the second by-election seat gained by the government since the 80’s.

The SDP in its glory days gained support by contesting and winning by-elections with high profile candidates.

Can TIG find a suitable candidate? Gina Miller? Gary Lineker? Ed Balls? St David Milliband?
The SDP in its glory days gained support by contesting and winning by-elections with high profile candidates.

Can TIG find a suitable candidate? Gina Miller? Gary Lineker? Ed Balls? St David Milliband?

The Tiggers could always stand for their own seats of course. Like Douglas Carswell did for UKIP, as a matter of principle.

They believe in the People’s Vote” after all, except in their own cases. You couldn’t make up modern British politics, it is so grubby, so uninspiring. So vapid and empty, and utterly unprincipled.

That would be very interesting, I certainly hope so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending