The Student Room Group

Attainment levels

Hey I have just started my second placement in KS1 and the attainment levels are all over the shop in this class, I am literally screaming now!! What to do in order for these lovely little people make progress in every lesson.......HELP!!
Original post by peppermintsweets
Hey I have just started my second placement in KS1 and the attainment levels are all over the shop in this class, I am literally screaming now!! What to do in order for these lovely little people make progress in every lesson.......HELP!!

The teacher should be sharing their records - they are wither below age-related, at age related or exceeding age-related. Use the NC to find where they need to get to - some schools have learning ladders or 'I can' booklets. You should not be working in the dark!
Thanks, I need all the help I can get. I will be asking the teacher for everything.
Original post by Muttley79
The teacher should be sharing their records - they are wither below age-related, at age related or exceeding age-related. Use the NC to find where they need to get to - some schools have learning ladders or 'I can' booklets. You should not be working in the dark!
Original post by peppermintsweets
Thanks, I need all the help I can get. I will be asking the teacher for everything.

I would have thought the school would also have individual targets for the children - which year group are you working with? Although I teach in a secondary school I do support with teachers of all phases :smile:
Yr1
I would have thought the school would also have individual targets for the children - which year group are you working with? Although I teach in a secondary school I do support with teachers of all phases :smile:
Oh dear - my heart sinks for you. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what they call "professional judgement" which is a fancy word for guess work. Despite what anyone tries to tell you, you can't sum up a complex individual with a few numbers. But as a teacher, you can tell if your class is progressing even if you can't boil that down to a number. Focus on the later, and when you are charged with assessing (making up) your class data, put the numbers in, tick the box and then go home and see your family! That is what everyone else does! :-)

Good luck!
Original post by ByEeek
Oh dear - my heart sinks for you. At the end of the day, it all comes down to what they call "professional judgement" which is a fancy word for guess work. Despite what anyone tries to tell you, you can't sum up a complex individual with a few numbers. But as a teacher, you can tell if your class is progressing even if you can't boil that down to a number. Focus on the later, and when you are charged with assessing (making up) your class data, put the numbers in, tick the box and then go home and see your family! That is what everyone else does! :-)

Good luck!

Speak for yourself - most teachers do not do that! Not a very helpful post to someone who is beginning the journey.
Since National Curriculum levels were abolished, schools can use their own levelling system. Some authorities may have created their own that many schools use (like mine), other schools may have created their own, and others may have bought in assessment packages. You should definitely ask the class teacher to explain what assessment system they use in your school! You can (in the meantime) at least track whether they are meeting the learning objectives for the lessons you are teaching (and what level, if relevant - e.g. using full stops and capital letters/using CL&FS and commas etc.)
This is useful thanks, this is my observation week so I am taking time to think and getting to know the children. Next week I need to start teaching.
Original post by Interrobang
Since National Curriculum levels were abolished, schools can use their own levelling system. Some authorities may have created their own that many schools use (like mine), other schools may have created their own, and others may have bought in assessment packages. You should definitely ask the class teacher to explain what assessment system they use in your school! You can (in the meantime) at least track whether they are meeting the learning objectives for the lessons you are teaching (and what level, if relevant - e.g. using full stops and capital letters/using CL&FS and commas etc.)
Speak for yourself - most teachers do not do that! Not a very helpful post to someone who is beginning the journey.

Interesting. How do you assess your pupils then?
Original post by ByEeek
Interesting. How do you assess your pupils then?

Which year group?
Which year group?

Any. 7 - 11?
Original post by ByEeek
Any. 7 - 11?

It varies - we use a range of resources - some class assessments [you never know who is doing 'their' homework!]. We moderate between groups and I'm fortunate to have an experienced team. Grades are based on new GCSE grades using + and -; I do think this is something that gets easier as you spend time teaching.
It varies - we use a range of resources - some class assessments [you never know who is doing 'their' homework!]. We moderate between groups and I'm fortunate to have an experienced team. Grades are based on new GCSE grades using + and -; I do think this is something that gets easier as you spend time teaching.

Agreed. I do all of that too. But when you boil it down, it is professional judgement and the reality is that it is an informed guess. For example, what grade do you predict for the student that flunked two tests but aced a third? And if two teachers were to predict grades for the same students, would they both be consistent? And sure - you moderate, but what does that actually achieve in terms of pupil outcome?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Agreed. I do all of that too. But when you boil it down, it is professional judgement and the reality is that it is an informed guess. For example, what grade do you predict for the student that flunked two tests but aced a third? And if two teachers were to predict grades for the same students, would the both be consistent? And sure - you moderate, but what does that actually achieve in terms of pupil outcome?

It's not a guess - tests can be unreliable as so many tests are online - we use stuff that students won't have seen. Our predictions are 95%+ accurate at GCSE and A level with few surprises. We double mark some stuff too - I teach maths so maybe that's easier than some subjects?
It's not a guess - tests can be unreliable as so many tests are online - we use stuff that students won't have seen. Our predictions are 95%+ accurate at GCSE and A level with few surprises. We double mark some stuff too - I teach maths so maybe that's easier than some subjects?

That will be it. Maths if very right or wrong and not much margin for error. It must be a nightmare in English!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending