The Student Room Group

Rejected from medicine second year in a row!

Last year I applied for medicine and got 4 rejections. I took a year out to reapply fro medicine having achieved AAA at A Levels and this time got rejected prior to interview. I have achieved 11 A* at GCSEs and so as you can understand I was gutted since I felt as though all of my hard work was for nothing.

I am currently looking into studying medicine at an affordable rate abroad but am concerned about the effect of Brexit on studying abroad. I can speak spanish, so I am looking into studying there. Any advice from other medics?
check out medic portal, they if we something in Italy
That is so sad. 11 A* and AAA.
Is there any option like clearing for prospective medicine students? Alternatively, can you not take a foundation year of study?
Original post by ayazm7
Last year I applied for medicine and got 4 rejections. I took a year out to reapply fro medicine having achieved AAA at A Levels and this time got rejected prior to interview. I have achieved 11 A* at GCSEs and so as you can understand I was gutted since I felt as though all of my hard work was for nothing.

I am currently looking into studying medicine at an affordable rate abroad but am concerned about the effect of Brexit on studying abroad. I can speak spanish, so I am looking into studying there. Any advice from other medics?

You have 11A*s at GCSE and AAA for your A levels and you didn't get a single interview?

How did your entrance exams go? Did you apply strategically?
Reply 4
Original post by ansari123
check out medic portal, they if we something in Italy

Im reluctant about going abroad given Brexit
Reply 5
Original post by Democracy
You have 11A*s at GCSE and AAA for your A levels and you didn't get a single interview?

How did your entrance exams go? Did you apply strategically?

I do believe in hindsight I could have been a bit more strategic. But given my alevels and UKCAT i thought a Birmingham interview was very safe :/
Reply 6
Original post by Human_bean
That is so sad. 11 A* and AAA.
Is there any option like clearing for prospective medicine students? Alternatively, can you not take a foundation year of study?

This is something I am heavily praying for. But I feel so bad because I worked so hard for these grades just to be a doctor. I wish that I could just have a one to one with these admissions people so they could see me
Original post by ayazm7
I do believe in hindsight I could have been a bit more strategic. But given my alevels and UKCAT i thought a Birmingham interview was very safe :/

Birmingham's typical offer is A*AA. How about your other choices? What was your work experience and volunteering like?

You've obviously got a very strong application from an academic point of view, but applying somewhere where you don't meet the grade requirement is unfortunately going to be a waste of your time.

I think rather than applying abroad, you should re-apply in October but you must make sure you apply strategically. If you do, I can't see any reason why you shouldn't get interviews.

This is a very useful resource - read it carefully:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Once you've made a list of potential choices, check each medical school's website and review their admissions policy. Based on that, you can make informed choices. There is absolutely no point applying somewhere if you don't meet their requirements.
Reply 8
You should be able to get interviews if you apply strategically. Depending on UKCAT and BMAT, Cardiff Leicester and Leeds could be good. There are other people who can advise you better.

There are some courses in UCAS extra; Lancaster (if you have done BMAT) and Nottingham (Lincoln pathway)

Last year Leicester was in clearing as were St George's London, Sheffield and Newcastle. Universities get results a few days before A Level results are published, so will know whether they have places. You need to be ready with a list of numbers for med admissions a couple of days before results day as you can get in before it gets busy with your achieved results.

Good luck!
wow amazing stats!! Did you have any interviews or 4 rejections pre interview both times? Thats so strange because your stats are soooo good! what was your ukcat like
Reply 10
Queen Mary's are currently offering a 5 year medical degree in Malta! would recommend looking into this. I've just been rejected from all 4 med schools
Reply 11
Original post by C.wilks
Queen Mary's are currently offering a 5 year medical degree in Malta! would recommend looking into this. I've just been rejected from all 4 med schools

i am sorry to hear. Malta require a humanity a level
Reply 12
Original post by mynameisno123
wow amazing stats!! Did you have any interviews or 4 rejections pre interview both times? Thats so strange because your stats are soooo good! what was your ukcat like

2 interviews last time none this time
Original post by ayazm7

A friend of my son's did not get a single place, but got one at Liverpool medical school in clearing. There can also be places at St Georges. Look at the websites carefully. The friend had to phone at 7am to get through to Liverpool. He was invited to interview and secured the place. Good luck!
What democracy said and you dont seem to have done yourself any favours.

ID why you didnt get in take another gap and apply again to places that play to your strengths.
Reply 15
Original post by ayazm7
i am sorry to hear. Malta require a humanity a level

This is now quite an old thread, but they do not require a humanity (don't know whether they did before, but definitely don't now).

Deadline 30th June!

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/smd/undergraduate/courses/full-entry-requirements/medicine-mbbs-malta-/
Hi op, I have just started posting a book I have written called Oxford demystified. My first chapter is about how my son got in for medicine. It shows all the enrichment work he did for it, so maybe this will give you some handy hints. Join St. John ambulance and do some research. Do you have any work experience on, day, a residential home?
Here is the link to my chapter:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6019726

Hopefully it will give you some pointers and show you the kind of things medical candidates do. Getting in to medicine is not so much about what you do in school, it's what you do outside of it that matters. You need to apply to schools that accept AAA at A level.
Original post by ayazm7

Latest

Trending

Trending