The Student Room Group

National rankings vs international rankings

St Andrews is ranked higher than Imeperial in the Guardian University Guide. Lancester is better than UCL in the complete university guide lol.

Imo the international rankings like THE and QS seem more reliable to me than the national ones.

How do you think?

Scroll to see replies

As a general rule the international one is better, as they tend to focus more on graduate prospects and prestige rather than student satisfaction. Some unis also don't release their student satisfaction making the UK one's a bit weird. Not saying that student satisfaction, isn't important, it just means that the league tables don't accurately show what are considered to be the best unis
Original post by Thar Linn Htet
St Andrews is ranked higher than Imeperial in the Guardian University Guide. Lancester is better than UCL in the complete university guide lol.

Imo the international rankings like THE and QS seem more reliable to me than the national ones.

How do you think?

the International rankings claim that Penn State University is better than Dartmouth. they are utter crap. look at the average UCAS scores which show the entry standards. it helps you weed out unis which accept thickos
Quite sure QS rankings are based mainly on research and public survey, if not let me know.
One isn't more reliable than another. They choose their weightings according to what aspects they consider more or less important.

Guardian rankings put a lot of emphasis on student satisfaction and wellbeing. CUG do a bit. International rankings hardly care.
Original post by CollectiveSoul
the International rankings claim that Penn State University is better than Dartmouth. they are utter crap. look at the average UCAS scores which show the entry standards. it helps you weed out unis which accept thickos

The only thing I found on google with UCAS scores are how much points an A* in A levels has.

How do you think?

What do you mean by reliable?

The international rankings are based on a survey of academics (two different surveys actually) asking which universities they think are good and research citation metrics. Neither of those things tell you anything about the quality of teaching or the student environment.
Original post by PQ
What do you mean by reliable?

The international rankings are based on a survey of academics (two different surveys actually) asking which universities they think are good and research citation metrics. Neither of those things tell you anything about the quality of teaching or the student environment.

International rankings like THE and QS rank universities like Imperial and UCL higher than the unis like St Andrews etc while the situation is opposite in national rankings and I'm certain that Imperial is a lot better than St Andrews; I've never heard of Apple recruiting graduates from St Andrews and I don't think anyone will pick St Andrews over Imperial.
International rankings like THE and QS rank universities like Imperial and UCL higher than the unis like St Andrews etc while the situation is opposite in national rankings and I'm certain that Imperial is a lot better than St Andrews; I've never heard of Apple recruiting graduates from St Andrews and I don't think anyone will pick St Andrews over Imperial.

Plenty of people who can’t afford or don’t want to live in London or want to study somewhere that values good teaching choose St. Andrews over imperial. Imperial has a really strong focus on research over teaching for its staff and not a lot of community feel. St andrews is very strong in those areas (areas rewarded by the national rankings).

UK universities with football clubs promoted to the premiership in the city/town tend to experience a boost in the global rankings - the football teams increase awareness of the universities. That doesn’t indicate anything about quality of the university - just a boost to international awareness among academics.

No ranking will reflect your personal preferences. Expecting them to is silly.
Reply 9
The only thing I found on google with UCAS scores are how much points an A* in A levels has.

Go to a domestic ranking - e.g. CUG - and sort the list by "Entry Standards".

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Entry+Standards

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/university-and-subject-league-tables-methodology/

How do you think?

The general consensus is that The Guardian is a joke, but some people do still listen to it. I think looking at the THE and QS rankings is the most accurate route to take tbh.
Reply 11
Original post by Babycakes5
The general consensus

Among whom?
It seems that students will select which ever ranking system fits with their justification of choice, and then spew crap opposing anyone else's.
Original post by Doones
Among whom?

Among people who think it's stupid to place the greatest weighting on student satisfaction.
Reply 14
Among people who think it's stupid to place the greatest weighting on student satisfaction.

Do you know what is included in "student satisfaction"? And the role it plays in each of the UK rankings?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doones
Do you know what is included in "student satisfaction"? And the role it plays in each of the UK rankings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you follow me from the other thread? Get a life.
Reply 16
Did you follow me from the other thread? Get a life.

Are you going to answer the question?

I'm a Section Leader. This is my life. :smile:

PS. I was posting in this thread before you so why did you follow me...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
Among people who think it's stupid to place the greatest weighting on student satisfaction.Wouldn

If I was booking a hotel, I may be put off if that establishment consistently one star ratings - especially when there were lots of similar hotels to choose from with five star guest ratings.

Likewise, if I was choosing a university to spend the next 3/4 years of my life, I would personally consider it important that current students are satisfied with the course and university experience.

I'm not saying student satisfaction is the only consideration, but it would be foolish not to give it significant weight.
I don't think anyone will pick St Andrews over Imperial.

You'd think wrong.
Original post by TheHof
You'd think wrong.

indeed. st andrews is basically top for student satisfaction, imperial is normally around the bottom.

imperial is a geeky, sausage fest situated in the people's republic of Stabistan, full of chinese students who don't integrate.

whereas st andrews is a cosmopolitan community on the beautiful fife coast full of easy american girls. no competition.

Quick Reply

Latest