Is the law school you go to really that important? Watch

SalTem26
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
I hope that this is not already asked, but at least I hope it can spark an interesting discussion.
Like most prospective students, I am quite worried that if the university I go to study law at is not as prestigious at others, it could harm my employability to some extent. Even though I know the most important thing is about what you do while studying and making use of the opportunities and chances you are given, seeing many statistics about students from which universities are hired the most in different types of law firms can be quite discouraging. Of course, a uni like Oxbridge or top tier RG are definitely going to bump your application at least a little bit, but can you find a career in law, which is already so oversaturated, after graduating from a uni that is not at the top? Is it a common thing to reject students based on where they got their education from, or is it something that is rare/depending on the law firm?
I’m sorry for all the rambling and I hope it’s coherent.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Assembly
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SalTem26)
I hope that this is not already asked, but at least I hope it can spark an interesting discussion.
Like most prospective students, I am quite worried that if the university I go to study law at is not as prestigious at others, it could harm my employability to some extent. Even though I know the most important thing is about what you do while studying and making use of the opportunities and chances you are given, seeing many statistics about students from which universities are hired the most in different types of law firms can be quite discouraging. Of course, a uni like Oxbridge or top tier RG are definitely going to bump your application at least a little bit, but can you find a career in law, which is already so oversaturated, after graduating from a uni that is not at the top? Is it a common thing to reject students based on where they got their education from, or is it something that is rare/depending on the law firm?
It depends what type legal sector you want to work in (public or private), the location you want to work in, the type of law you want to practice, what type of lawyer you wanna be (barrister or solicitor), your work experience and your grades (I might have even missed other things). There are a lot of factors that employers use in determining able candidates. Try to have a rough idea of what you want to get out of the law degree, and TSR can give you more specific advice
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Assembly; 4 months ago
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by SalTem26)
We had this discussion two days ago, and it didn't prove to be either a 'discussion' or very interesting. Go read through the rest of the threads in this forum before posting the same damn question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads