The Student Room Group

Picking a-level chemistry is my biggest regret !!!!!!

If your about to pick your alevels for the love of god DONT pick chemistry, worst decision ive EVER made, the course is VERY hard. AND before you come for my intellect level, im currently studying maths and computer science. AND THE MATHS IN ALEVEL CHEMISTRY IS HARDER THAN ACTUAL MATHS ALEVEL. i got an A in GCSE chemistry, so dont think getting a good grade will mean chemistry at alevel will be similar. IT IS HONESTLY SO BORING ONLY PEOPLE WHO DONT LOVE THEMSELVES WILL PICK THIS SUBJECT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED . also i applied to uni this year but it looks like im not going, year 14 will sadly be seeing me.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is lies. A level maths is soooo much harder than chemistry.i like chemistry but the mocks I just sat in chemistry were not nice. I like the fact chemistry is all about understanding instead of memorising, except for organic chemistry where you need to remember organic synthesis and reactions.
Haha screw A-level maths bro, Got an 8 in GCSE however I simply couldn't understand First year A-level maths. First year Chemistry alright actually, but when second year of 6th form starts, I have been told chemistry just goes to hell :frown: Hopefully what your saying is wrong as my teachers are horrible too but I can generally understand it through textbook.
Reply 3
Same with me and Biology. Biggest mistake ever as I could have picked a much easier subject as my unis don't require any specific A-levels, and aimed for the B I need as I am aiming for in my other subjects..
Reply 4
maths becomes easier and youll regret picking chem, i got an 8 also and by the end of AS i thought it was gonna fail maths, but half way through A2 and it turns into "screw chem bro". if your teachers are horrible, get a tutor ASAP i wish i had gotten one
Original post by AlwaysBroke.
Haha screw A-level maths bro, Got an 8 in GCSE however I simply couldn't understand First year A-level maths. First year Chemistry alright actually, but when second year of 6th form starts, I have been told chemistry just goes to hell :frown: Hopefully what your saying is wrong as my teachers are horrible too but I can generally understand it through textbook.
Reply 5
chem content and chem questions have no correlation THUS making it a TERRIBLE SUBJECT and maths honestly gets easier
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
This is lies. A level maths is soooo much harder than chemistry.i like chemistry but the mocks I just sat in chemistry were not nice. I like the fact chemistry is all about understanding instead of memorising, except for organic chemistry where you need to remember organic synthesis and reactions.
Reply 6
wish teachers made it more clear that you dont need to pick the hardest alevels to go to good uni, since people with btecs are able to do the same course at uni
Original post by henryf8
Same with me and Biology. Biggest mistake ever as I could have picked a much easier subject as my unis don't require any specific A-levels, and aimed for the B I need as I am aiming for in my other subjects..
Reply 7
This is filling me up with loads of doubt... I knew that Chemistry was hard and I desperately need it with my hopes of being a vet 😬😬😬 and with maths and biology too it sounds like I’m in for 2 years of struggle!
Original post by shukri2001
If your about to pick your alevels for the love of god DONT chemistry, worst decision ive EVER made, the course is hard and the teachers at my school are TERRIBLE. AND before you come for my intellectual level, im currently studying maths and computer science. AND THE MATHS IN ALEVEL CHEMISTRY IS HARDER THAN ACTUAL MATHS ALEVEL. i got an A in GCSE chemistry, so dont think getting a good grade will mean chemistry at alevel will be similar. IT IS HONSELTTY SO BORING ONLY PEOPLE WHO DONT LOVE THEMSELVES WILL PICK THIS SUBJECT. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED . also i applied to uni this year but it looks like im not going, year 14 will sadly be seeing me.

I only got a B in GCSE Chemistry but am now in Y13 now, predicted to get an A/A* grade at A-Level- i've managed to consistently scoring A*/A grades this year even after my weak GCSE performance. Many people struggle with Chemistry initially as it's a step up from GCSE in terms of workload. But Chemistry is surprisingly easy if you put in the work, especially compared to A-Level Maths and Biology which are my other 2 subjects.
If you actually learn all the content in your textbook and spend a few hours doing practice questions for each topic, you'll do very well in the exams.

The exam questions are pretty straight forward compared to most other A-Levels and most people I know who score low in Chemistry just hadn't bothered to study for it. So how can you blame that on the subject? Also, it's not right to tell other students to not take a subject just because the teachers at your school aren't great; almost all the A/A* grade students at my school will self-study and not rely on teachers. We learn ahead of the rest of the class and use our lessons just to go over what we know.

You've said that 'Maths in A-Level Chemistry is harder than actual Maths A-Level', but this is totally incorrect and silly. Pretty much all the calculations in chemistry are just inputting numbers into a few formulas that you're supposed to have memorised. You don't even need to take any quantitative subject to know how to put things into a formula; it's common sense.

My guess is that you've just had some exam results back and haven't done particularly well on Chemistry and so have decided to rant about it here. Next time, please think back to the root of the problem- are you genuinely finding the subject hard even after putting in a lot of work, or have you just not bothered to study and was surprised when your exam grade was low?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 9
good luck, and prepare for your mental health to go drain the drain with your hopes of being a vet
Original post by skent6
This is filling me up with loads of doubt... I knew that Chemistry was hard and I desperately need it with my hopes of being a vet 😬😬😬 and with maths and biology too it sounds like I’m in for 2 years of struggle!
Original post by shukri2001
chem content and chem questions have no correlation THUS making it a TERRIBLE SUBJECT and maths honestly gets easier

For AS Chem I hardly revised for my mocks and did like no practice questions and got an easy A but for A2 you need to do practice questions but I'm lazy. For maths, I do lots of questions and really struggling,stats are annoying did all the textbook questions and the exam questions in my mock couldn't even do them, they were sooooo much harder. The pure stuff is hard too, mechanics varies.
Original post by henryf8

The struggle is real with Biology!!!
Original post by skent6

Don't worry, those subjects are certainly manageable. Read my earlier reply in this thread- I'm pretty sure the OP just didn't study enough for his last exam.
Reply 13
Original post by Infinite Series
Don't worry, those subjects are certainly manageable. Read my earlier reply in this thread- I'm pretty sure the OP just didn't study enough for his last exam.

Thanks a lot I’m prepared for all this hard work and I’m determined to do well in Chemistry 👍
Before going and picking hard a levels, decide what you want to do at uni as the course may not even require the subjects you are doing. Therefore only pick the subjects that are needed for your chosen course. You may be leading yourself to a stressful 2 years for no reason at all

mental health >>>>>>
Reply 15
first of all its HER and second of all dont try and disrespect my intelligence, people need to now the reality of this ******** subject coming from someone who did decent in their GCSEs i would rather someone told me then find out myself
Original post by FutureMissMRCS
For AS Chem I hardly revised for my mocks and did like no practice questions and got an easy A but for A2 you need to do practice questions but I'm lazy. For maths, I do lots of questions and really struggling,stats are annoying did all the textbook questions and the exam questions in my mock couldn't even do them, they were sooooo much harder. The pure stuff is hard too, mechanics varies.
Although what you are saying maybe true to a certain extent, you are quite undermining the difficult nature of chemistry as a subject. Quite misleading I would say to compare subjects to one another, comparing apples and pears I would say. No relation whatsoever.

tek care.
I only got a B in GCSE Chemistry but am now in Y13 now, predicted to get an A/A* grade at A-Level- i've managed to consistently scoring A*/A grades this year even after my weak GCSE performance. Many people struggle with Chemistry initially as it's a step up from GCSE in terms of workload. But Chemistry is surprisingly easy if you put in the work, especially compared to A-Level Maths and Biology which are my other 2 subjects.
If you actually learn all the content in your textbook and spend a few hours doing practice questions for each topic, you'll do very well in the exams.

The exam questions are pretty straight forward compared to most other A-Levels and most people I know who score low in Chemistry just hadn't bothered to study for it. So how can you blame that on the subject? Also, it's not right to tell other students to not take a subject just because the teachers at your school aren't great; almost all the A/A* grade students at my school will self-study and not rely on teachers. We learn ahead of the rest of the class and use our lessons just to go over what we know.

You've said that 'Maths in A-Level Chemistry is harder than actual Maths A-Level', but this is totally incorrect and silly. Pretty much all the calculations in chemistry are just inputting numbers into a few formulas that you're supposed to have memorised. You don't even need to take any quantitative subject to know how to put things into a formula; it's common sense.

My guess is that you've just had some exam results back and haven't done particularly well on Chemistry and so have decided to rant about it here. Next time, please think back to the root of the problem- are you genuinely finding the subject hard even after putting in a lot of work, or have you just not bothered to study and was surprised when your exam grade was low?
Reply 17
Don't worry dude, i'm in yr 13 and applied for veterinary and study maths, chem and bio and i find chemistry the easiest... depends on the person
Original post by skent6
Reply 18
from someone whos "managed to consistently scoring A*/A grades this year" in maths i stand by my statement of the maths in chemistry is harder than normal maths

Reply 19
Original post by Kaonash
Don't worry dude, i'm in yr 13 and applied for veterinary and study maths, chem and bio and i find chemistry the easiest... depends on the person

Thanks a lot, I know what hard work is and am achieving 7s 8s and 9s in those 3 subjects at GCSE. I know what’s needed for veterinary just worrying bout actually getting accepted

Quick Reply

Latest