The Student Room Group

Am I making a mistake with my uni choices

Hi all,New to this but really worried about my university decisions so figured I’d post :smile:I’m currently holding 4 offers for law from Nottingham, Exeter, Bristol and Sheffield, while I’m still waiting for Durham.I think I’m going to reject Sheffield but I’m really torn between Exeter, Bristol Nottingham. I loved Exeter’s campus and overall feel yet believe it is a notch below Nottingham and Bristol for law? Correct me if I’m wrong on this but it has a very high offer rate and seems to hand out a lot more AABs. However, it is the one I most felt at home and relaxed and is about the ideal distance for me.Bristol was lovely and I know it’s very esteemed but I prefer campus unis so wasn’t completely convinced by it but I don’t know how big of an issue this is.Nottingham also had an amazing campus, very well regarded but it didn’t feel as homely as Exeter, while it seems a bit far in terms of distance. My heart is telling me Exeter because of how I felt and how lovely it was but everyone else and my head is telling me to pick either Bristol or Jotts because they’re better, more academic and I’ll end up having an amazing time. Feel as if my LNAT has gone to waste as well!Could someone honestly tell me what to do in this situation as I’m very, very conflicted!Thank you :smile: Emily
Original post by Emilyjanexox
Hi all,New to this but really worried about my university decisions so figured I’d post :smile:I’m currently holding 4 offers for law from Nottingham, Exeter, Bristol and Sheffield, while I’m still waiting for Durham.I think I’m going to reject Sheffield but I’m really torn between Exeter, Bristol Nottingham. I loved Exeter’s campus and overall feel yet believe it is a notch below Nottingham and Bristol for law? Correct me if I’m wrong on this but it has a very high offer rate and seems to hand out a lot more AABs. However, it is the one I most felt at home and relaxed and is about the ideal distance for me.Bristol was lovely and I know it’s very esteemed but I prefer campus unis so wasn’t completely convinced by it but I don’t know how big of an issue this is.Nottingham also had an amazing campus, very well regarded but it didn’t feel as homely as Exeter, while it seems a bit far in terms of distance. My heart is telling me Exeter because of how I felt and how lovely it was but everyone else and my head is telling me to pick either Bristol or Jotts because they’re better, more academic and I’ll end up having an amazing time. Feel as if my LNAT has gone to waste as well!Could someone honestly tell me what to do in this situation as I’m very, very conflicted!Thank you :smile: Emily

Exeter is not a notch below Nottingham and Bristol - if you loved the campus then go there :smile: If you are happy then you are far more likely to do well.
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is not a notch below Nottingham and Bristol - if you loved the campus then go there :smile: If you are happy then you are far more likely to do well.

Well it is but whatever.
Original post by Notoriety
Well it is but whatever.

In your opinion maybe but not the vast majority of people and certainly not for Law.
Well it is but whatever.

lol - agree 100% (trigger warning attached)
In your opinion maybe but not the vast majority of people and certainly not for Law.

No, I mean specifically for law Notts and Bristol are superior. Have the better students, academics, and all the rest of it. I think my opinion on the law department is more authoritative than yours.

It won't make a difference to OP's employment prospects, I should add. They're all good law schools with good names and good track records for getting students to top firms. OP's decision should be based other factors: location, campus, scholarships, and where they think they'll be happiest.
(edited 5 years ago)
No, I mean specifically for law Notts and Bristol are superior. Have the better students, academics, and all the rest of it. I think my opinion on the law department is more authoritative than yours.

Really? I very much doubt it but it's not worth an argument,
Really? I very much doubt it but it's not worth an argument,

I've got a couple law degrees and I'm the daddy of the law forum. Google me.
I've got a couple law degrees and I'm the daddy of the law forum. Google me.

You don;t know the contacts I've got though do you? As I said, the OP's happiness is more important than your viewpoint.
Reported for making up fiction - I've only ever said I rejected an Oxbridge place. Several of my ex-students are top barristers.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=53323959

The 'old' Lafrowda has been demolished or upgraded - I've not seen the new rooms.

I was there a few years back so I was commenting on the 'convenience' aspect of the location. I did visit the campus last summer and the new student centre is stunning - the new Sports facilites are amazing too.

Which subject are you hoping to study?

Original post by smjh10
Oh I see that'll be good thank you! I thought the same! I'm thinking of doing either French or International Relations or History and International Relations with a year abroad - what did you do? :smile:

Most of the History lectures were in Queens which is near Devonshire House; but you really don't want to be walking up the hill from Mardon, Birks or Duryard ...

I studied Maths but have friends who did History and another who did French and German.

Original post by mackemforever
Why do people have such an issue with Cardiac hill?

Unless you have absolutely zero fitness or about the same size as a small car, it's not even vaguely difficult to walk up. The only time it's a problem is if it snows in winter, but even then so what, you'll have to take a detour that adds a couple of minutes to your journey.

If people are genuinely too lazy to walk up a bit of a hill to get to campus then bloody hell do I worry for their long term health.

You try getting up the hill for a 09:00 ... it's not fun. It is often slippery and wet in the morning.

There is a walk from Lafrowda and the other side of the campus.

None of that proves I studied there .. I do have a number of friends and ex-students who studied there. Also I visit unis as part of my UCAS role.. please delete - sad that you felt the need to go through my posts - I suppose I should be flattered!
You’re kinda confusing me haha but the basis is Bristol and Nottingham are better than Exeter as universities but they’re all good and the difference is negligible?

I’m just worried because of the high offer rate and lowered requirements that it’s quite a bit worse.
You’re kinda confusing me haha but the basis is Bristol and Nottingham are better than Exeter as universities but they’re all good and the difference is negligible?

I’m just worried because of the high offer rate and lowered requirements that it’s quite a bit worse.

Entrance requirements are no indication of how a uni ‘ranks’. The point is, it seems Notts and Bris are higher ranking but if you wanna go to Exeter then go
actually Exeter consistently ranks higher than Bristol or Nottingham in the Times or Complete University rankings but the reverse applies in the Law subject rankings. Any difference is negligeable and isnt worth worrying about. Go where you feel most comfortable as that is where you are likely to get the best results,

The differences between them are not significant enough to worry about. Other things like your A level grades, the extracurriculars you choose to participate in, classification of degree, work experience, general work ethic and personality will end up being much more relevant. I feel you should just choose the Uni you like the most and save your mental energy for getting the best grades you can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending