The Student Room Group

Shamima Begums son, a death that brittish government could have prevented

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cecelia Tallice
You can post it as many times as you like...
It proves nothing. Why would a vulnerable 19 year old girl give up her only son. After loosing two other children? Especially considering ifs he went to the U.K. she wouldn’t be able to see him. I think you can’t possibly understand the love and protection that a mother has for her child, regardless of the situation.
If the Home Secretary had any understanding of compassion he wouldn’t try to break up a mother from her son. But his wish has been commanded now, only that child has lost his life as a direct consequence of the governments actions.

Point about love and protection pretty moot in this case since if she actually loved her child and wanted to protect it would try and get it out of a war zone rather than holding onto it whilst trying herself.
Original post by Leia studies
Already a thread made on this topic. :smile:

Thanks for your insightful contribution. But I see no issues with there being two threads on the same topic.
Original post by Vikingninja
Point about love and protection pretty moot in this case since if she actually loved her child and wanted to protect it would try and get it out of a war zone rather than holding onto it whilst trying herself.

Read comment above
If the reports are true that Shamima Begums son has died. Then that is a death that the brittish government could have prevented. She wanted to return to this country because she was worried about the health of her son. But the Home Secretary revoked her citizenship and stopped her returning. Therefore he is partially responsible for the unfortunate death of her child.

Complete fiction. And a very bad one.

The baby would never have survived. Or at least he was 90% certain to meet the same fate.

You do realize most airlines wouldn't even fly a newborn less than 2 weeks' old? There are actual risks related to flying a newborn. And it's not even just that. There's no consular staff in Syria, meaning there would need to be a team sent specifically to her, then they all travel to Iraq or Turkey (once again, with a fragile newborn), before they could fly.

Considering the fact that he died merely 3 weeks' old, he would never have made it.

And no airline would normally fly a 9-month pregnant woman either, because guess what? It's also very dangerous.

---

And the Home Secretary didn't exactly "stop" her. She never even initiated the process. She talked to the media as an attempt to get the British government to send a team for her. She didn't manage to get to any consular staff anywhere in the world. Normal British citizens who experience difficulty abroad would have to make it to a consulate to get help. So you're saying this person who unapologetically joined a terrorist group should have received not only the standard treatment, but privileged treatment that isn't even always available to British government workers stranded in a foreign land on official business? Why?
I feel sorry for the child too. But I think you have an incorrect understanding of how easy it would have been for Shamima Begum to get out of the regime after joining. It’s not something you can just quit. She would have known too much even if she wanted out. But I suspect that she was too radicalised to even think of leaving.

Shouldn’t have joined in the first place, still all on her.

Also don’t see how this has to do with my other post because her child was born after she was out of their territory.
It proves nothing. Why would a vulnerable 19 year old girl give up her only son. After loosing two other children? Especially considering ifs he went to the U.K. she wouldn’t be able to see him. I think you can’t possibly understand the love and protection that a mother has for her child, regardless of the situation.
If the Home Secretary had any understanding of compassion he wouldn’t try to break up a mother from her son. But his wish has been commanded now, only that child has lost his life as a direct consequence of the governments actions.

You mean as a direct consequence of his mother's actions.

Who's the one whose actions have led him to be born in a camp with presumably substandard medical care? Was that the UK government? No.

Who's the one whose actions have led him to be born in a country where Britain has no consular staff in? Was that the UK government? No.

Who's the one whose actions have led to his mother to have her citizenship removed? Was that the UK government? No. The UK government didn't even do anything until she tells the media she doesn't regret joining the terrorist group and stuff.

The baby would never have been able to get to the UK before this. No matter who she is, they wouldn't have flown her before her delivery. They wouldn't have flown her right after delivery. And they'd need to get a specialized team to take her to another country, before flying her to the UK. It would definitely have taken more time than this. We're not talking about a British tourist stranded in Japan. We're talking about retrieving a literal newborn and a new mother (very weak after giving birth) from a literal warzone. You are very naive.
Reply 46
Making a point is worthless without justification. I hope those of you who were all for the revoking of her citizenship, take a long hard look at yourself. You didn’t think about her child that was as much a part of the situation as she was.

Nope, my conscience is clear. The death of the child is entirely her fault.
Shouldn’t have joined in the first place, still all on her.

Also don’t see how this has to do with my other post because her child was born after she was out of their territory.

She's also the one who says she doesn't regret joining ISIS. She's also the one who tells the media she thinks the Ariana Grande attack could be justified. The British government didn't trick her into saying these things. If she had behaved more like the US ISIS woman, then perhaps one could actually make the argument that she wanted to leave but couldn't, but there's no evidence to suggest that she actually wanted to leave until now.

Let's not act like she wanted to leave ISIS until it's clearly too late for her to do so. No airline would fly a 9-month pregnant woman, and it would've taken extra time to retrieve anyone, let alone a newborn and a new mother, from Syria.

She also never made a formal request for consular assistance (which is not available in Syria to begin with).

To expect the baby to survive (if he has indeed died after only 3 weeks) is asking for both a miracle and very privileged treatment for someone who's in reality a criminal and an unapologetic terrorist.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
She's also the one who says she doesn't regret joining ISIS. She's also the one who tells the media she thinks the Ariana Grande attack could be justified. The British government didn't trick her into saying these things. If she had behaved more like the US ISIS woman, then perhaps one could actually make the argument that she wanted to leave but couldn't, but there's no evidence to suggest that she actually wanted to leave until now.

Let's not act like she wanted to leave ISIS until it's clearly too late for her to do so. No airline would fly a 9-month pregnant woman, and it would've taken extra time to retrieve anyone, let alone a newborn and a new mother, from Syria.

She also never made a formal request for consular assistance (which is not available in Syria to begin with).

To expect the baby to survive (if he has indeed died after only 3 weeks) is asking for both a miracle and very privileged treatment for someone who's in reality a criminal and an unapologetic terrorist.

Why was I quoted?
Why was I quoted?

Just wanted to add to your points.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
Just wanted to add to your points.

Oh ok, 2nd point was more me going against the pointless “read above comment that has nothing to do with your post” response from her.
Oh ok, 2nd point was more me going against the pointless “read above comment that has nothing to do with your post” response from her.

The OP is clearly deluded. If the baby died after a few months or a year, then maybe we could begin to talk whether he could've been saved. Sometimes it's doubtful whether there's any point debating someone like the OP.
Our society is funny, whoever can play the biggest victim wins popular support. The weaker you are the better. When you're such a disappointment you have to go to Syria to make a name for yourself (a war torn craphole right now) to join a violent terrorist organisation so that you can better support active killing of innocent people, try to raise baby terrorists to do the bidding for you, do a sh*t job and kill 3 innocent children. Yet deserves sympathy.

What am I missing?

Like honestly the child was put out of its misery before it got understand the absolute horror of being born into a violent cult that supports rape, blood shed and on the wrong side of brutal modern day warfare. It wasn't the best outcome for the child, but as previously mentioned it was unable to be transported in that stage of infancy and it really wasn't the worst outcome either.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 53

Why do you care so much about this one Bangladeshi terrorist? I assume you are a white British girl, surely you must realise there are far more worthy candidates of your compassion and empathy of our ethnicity within our own country? Why the fetishisation of this outsider who has made it very clear that she regards herself an outsider and shares no real kinship you or I?

Yes, her child dying is tragic, of course it is, but thousands of children across the world die in similar or even worse circumstances every single day, what makes this event so significant?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Wōden
Why do you care so much about this one Bangladeshi terrorist? I assume you are a white British girl, surely you must realise there are far more worthy candidates of your compassion and empathy of our ethnicity within our own country? Why the fetishisation of this outsider who has made it very clear that she regards herself an outsider and shares no real kinship you or I?

Yes, her child dying is tragic, of course it is, but thousands of children across the world die in similar or even worse circumstances every single day, what makes this event so significant?

So if she was a white British terrorist, you would be in favour of wanting her back?

Then Begum is responsible. Don’t blame the Home Secretary,
Reply 56
my opinion on this is f*** her. she left to join a terrorist organisation that we are against and has killed many innocent civilians. I 100% that we left her as I would never risk the lives of British soldiers to rescue her. F*** HER, she has free will and she has shown that, she would have known there is no going back. how do we know it's not a trap, go to grab her an soldiers are ambushed or she committes and act of terrorism when she gets back. her son would more than likely become a terrorist as well. .
(edited 5 years ago)
let's just remind ourselves of how Ms Beggum's pals treated children:

https://nypost.com/2016/10/26/isis-kills-250-kids-in-dough-kneader-burns-adults-alive/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending