The Student Room Group

whats the max speed in 3rd gear

any tips to go really fast fast for race purpose.

if I want to go fast what's the best method . I know change gear at red line but should I go from 3rd to 4th or straight to 5th
General rule is to hit the start of the redline on every gear and then shift
Launch technique depends on drivetrain, fuel type, and aspiration.
Start in reverse and take them by surprise.
Original post by StriderHort
Start in reverse and take them by surprise.

the ol' switcharoo
Reply 4
Assuming it is for race conditions on the track, what does your racing instructor say? Usually when accelerating it's a matter of going up through the gears, i.e., 3rd, 4th, 5th.... when decelerating it may be a case of braking hard and then going from 5th to (say) 2nd. It depends on the car, the track and the corner.

T3
"whats the max speed in 3rd gear" gearing ratios are different not just on every car, and not even every model of each car. For example the Ford Fiesta has different gear ratios throughout the 3 different 1l ecoboost tunes and the ST range (which, as a result, can make a tuned 1l ecoboost faster to 60mph than a standard ST). Likewise not every car is worth shifting at redline, I will gain nothing from going past 6500 on my car, so unless I fancy a cheeky pop and bang from overfuel @ around 7500-8k, I should be shifting between 5400-6500. My red-line is at 7k so in fairness 6500 isn't terribly far off.

Back to your original question, I'll make 75 mph in 3rd, but other cars won't get past around 40 especially with a rev limiter.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by nevershear
"whats the max speed in 3rd gear" gearing ratios are different not just on every car, and not even every model of each car. For example the Ford Fiesta has different gear ratios throughout the 3 different 1l ecoboost tunes and the ST range (which, as a result, can make a tuned 1l ecoboost faster to 60mph than a standard ST). Likewise not every car is worth shifting at redline, I will gain nothing from going past 6500 on my car, so unless I fancy a cheeky pop and bang from overfuel @ around 7500-8k, I should be shifting between 5400-6500. My red-line is at 7k so in fairness 6500 isn't terribly far off.

Back to your original question, I'll make 75 mph in 3rd, but other cars won't get past around 40 especially with a rev limiter.

nevershear is right, in my 1.8tdci focus (mk2) it's not worth going over 4500 as peak torque is at 2250 and bhp at 4000

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending