The Student Room Group

Health and Social GCSE urgent....

Im in year 9 and are picking gcse options, and I have a few questions.

- is health and social easy
- what is health and social all about
- what percent is course work
- opinions on the subject
-will it be looked down upon since its btec
- can u become a dentist or doctor??

TYSM IF U ANSWER

Scroll to see replies

I haven’t taken health and social care but I believe that you do it in units so you’ll do an exam and then coursework but I may be wrong, yes it is easier but no it won’t be looked down upon. If you are interested in dentistry or doctoring it is recommended you do triple science but health and social could help but not massively at all, I’m not sure about dentistry but I know if you want to do medicine then you will need to do a levels in chemistry and either biology maths or physics. So I strongly recommend you choose triple science, j chose it and I don’t regret it at all.
Reply 2
Thankyou so much, we dont get to choose whether we do triple or combined but right now im on the route of triple btw ty for the quick reply x
Health and social is mostly coursework with I think 2 exams.
For a doctor they normally ask for ALevels in biology so I would reccomend triple sCience as said above, it's not easy but it's worth it x
Well just make science a priority because most unis ask for an a level in chemistry. :smile:
I did it as a gcse (not as a btec) and I had one exam and the rest was coursework. It was pretty easy, there was just a lot of writing for the coursework but as long as you know what you’re talking about you’ll be fine. I think btecs at GCSEs don’t disadvantage you it’s more doing btecs at a levels that I wouldn’t recommend since most unis want 3 a levels. It’s mostly about health and you learn about different roles in health and social care and how stuff affects people physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially (which may be referred to as PIES). It’s mainly common sense so I think you’ll find it easy x
Reply 6
Thankyou for all the replies here as they have helped me so much x
Does anyone know the percentage of coursework?
Reply 7
Thankyou so much x Did you find the exam easy?
Original post by ineedtorevise12
I did it as a gcse (not as a btec) and I had one exam and the rest was coursework. It was pretty easy, there was just a lot of writing for the coursework but as long as you know what you’re talking about you’ll be fine. I think btecs at GCSEs don’t disadvantage you it’s more doing btecs at a levels that I wouldn’t recommend since most unis want 3 a levels. It’s mostly about health and you learn about different roles in health and social care and how stuff affects people physically, intellectually, emotionally and socially (which may be referred to as PIES). It’s mainly common sense so I think you’ll find it easy x
Original post by (())
Thankyou for all the replies here as they have helped me so much x
Does anyone know the percentage of coursework?

If I remember correctly it’s 40% coursework and 60% exam but I’m not 100% sure if it’s still the same
Reply 9
What does the term coursework mean actually is it projects or??
Original post by (())
What does the term coursework mean actually is it projects or??

There’s two parts to it - for the first part you choose a person you know who has health problems and you talk about how they’re being treated and what health services they use and how effective the services they use are etc and the second half is basically talking about health and social services and how they work - you choose three services (eg primary school teacher, psychologist and social worker) and write what qualities these people need and how they display these through their work as well as what qualifications they need x
I think it’s quite a lot as I believe you do the exam quite early like dec/ jan I may be wrong
There’s two parts to it - for the first part you choose a person you know who has health problems and you talk about how they’re being treated and what health services they use and how effective the services they use are etc and the second half is basically talking about health and social services and how they work - you choose three services (eg primary school teacher, psychologist and social worker) and write what qualities these people need and how they display these through their work as well as what qualifications they need x

(It’s basically a long essay)
Reply 13
So coursewrork is basically essays is im right? I thought it would be more like projects on posters and stuff??
(It’s basically a long essay)
Original post by (())
So coursewrork is basically essays is im right? I thought it would be more like projects on posters and stuff??

Yeah it’s literally just writing you don’t do any posters or anything creative
Reply 15
oh so is their alot of essays because im also doing history aswell that includes a lot of essays aswell ....whats your opinions on the coursework
Yeah it’s literally just writing you don’t do any posters or anything creative
Reply 16
is it also controlled or?
Original post by (())
oh so is their alot of essays because im also doing history aswell that includes a lot of essays aswell ....whats your opinions on the coursework

I wouldn’t really call it an essay it’s just....writing lol if that makes sense. You just do it in class and occasionally you’ll have to add to it for homework so it’s not bad and it’s set out into smaller chunks so you don’t get too overwhelmed. You don’t have to write any essays in the exam unlike history so you don’t have to worry about learning about how to structure it or anything. You won’t get everything thrown at you either they’ll set it out so each lesson you learn about the bit you have to write about and they tell you what to write and how to set it out and apply it to your person who you’ve chosen to write about so you do get a lot of support and that’s what makes it easy it’s all common sense and they tell you how to do everything. It’s not really set out like an essay either it’s more like you have a section (let’s say how services help your client) and then you write about your client’s needs, where they go to get help and how those services help your client. It’s just talking/describing stuff you don’t really have to think too much about it just make sure you write enough to get you marks. I didn’t really mind the coursework it was fine, you just sit in the lesson and write for an hour and it’s really chill there’s no stress or pressure and you can talk with your friends (usually) and we typed it on computers so you don’t end up with your hand aching at the end of the lesson. I’m really happy it wasn’t all just the exam cause even though I found the exam really easy (and so did everyone else) I got a C in it and I was really confused but I got an A in coursework which brought my grade up to a B overall. So I’m lucky I did well in my coursework cause I wouldn’t have been happy with a C as it’s such an easy subject in my opinion. Also with coursework you can keep editing parts of it until the final deadline where you have to hand it in so if you’ve finished a section and you’re not happy with it you can go back to it at any point and improve it.
Health and social was probably the easiest gcse I’ve done it’s mostly coursework and teachers can help you with it
Reply 19
ah im so sorry for making you write so much (: but u have helped me so much thankyouuuuuuuuu x have a nice day xxxx
I wouldn’t really call it an essay it’s just....writing lol if that makes sense. You just do it in class and occasionally you’ll have to add to it for homework so it’s not bad and it’s set out into smaller chunks so you don’t get too overwhelmed. You don’t have to write any essays in the exam unlike history so you don’t have to worry about learning about how to structure it or anything. You won’t get everything thrown at you either they’ll set it out so each lesson you learn about the bit you have to write about and they tell you what to write and how to set it out and apply it to your person who you’ve chosen to write about so you do get a lot of support and that’s what makes it easy it’s all common sense and they tell you how to do everything. It’s not really set out like an essay either it’s more like you have a section (let’s say how services help your client) and then you write about your client’s needs, where they go to get help and how those services help your client. It’s just talking/describing stuff you don’t really have to think too much about it just make sure you write enough to get you marks. I didn’t really mind the coursework it was fine, you just sit in the lesson and write for an hour and it’s really chill there’s no stress or pressure and you can talk with your friends (usually) and we typed it on computers so you don’t end up with your hand aching at the end of the lesson. I’m really happy it wasn’t all just the exam cause even though I found the exam really easy (and so did everyone else) I got a C in it and I was really confused but I got an A in coursework which brought my grade up to a B overall. So I’m lucky I did well in my coursework cause I wouldn’t have been happy with a C as it’s such an easy subject in my opinion. Also with coursework you can keep editing parts of it until the final deadline where you have to hand it in so if you’ve finished a section and you’re not happy with it you can go back to it at any point and improve it.

Quick Reply

Latest