The Student Room Group

Asda to stop selling knives by April

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Telomere
They are only stopping selling single knives - will still sell knife sets and knives in cutlery sets.

Ok so rather than sell people one knife they now get to buy several at once. One for each limb is it? Well done ASDA, make it easier for crime to occur.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
ban purchases of single guns, 3 or more guns only

only get them in a set :lol:
Original post by Bio 7
Ok so rather than sell people one knife they now get to buy several at once. One for each limb is it? Well done ASDA, make it easier for crime to occur.

They're not making it any easier lmao. Men aren't ****in octopi.
Original post by Bio 7

I think the gist is that the bigger packs are harder to pinch, they already ID for the bought ones. It's a pretty low risk/high PR move for them to make I suspect, I doubt 'Single knife buyers' is a demographic they are really interested in keeping.

They're screwed if anyone over 18 wants to stab someone right enough.
Original post by Obolinda
calm down, you can still buy knives from Asda. Just not single ones, the ones that are more likely to be stolen.

If theft is the issue here, then a better solution would be to just keep the knives in a more secure place. In a locked glass cabinet perhaps.
Original post by Callicious
Who the hell buys knives from a supermarket?

The internet has a far wider variety of knives which are often far cheaper and far nicer.

my nan does
Reply 26
Original post by Wลden
If theft is the issue here, then a better solution would be to just keep the knives in a more secure place. In a locked glass cabinet perhaps.

Exactly.
They're not making it any easier lmao. Men aren't ****in octopi.

Octopodes.

(Or, y'know: octopuses.)
To the poster who says only blacksmiths can roduce a knife. Someone should inform the thousands of knife makers who keep prisons furnished with enough knives even with continuous confiscation. Even a total ban on knife sells will not make a difference in knife crime. It will simply begin a competion to see who can produce the finer underground knife.

This sounds like liberals in the U.S. wanting to be seen as doing something to solve a social problem..Don't look for meaningful solutions from someone who can't see or thinks your to[ stupid to make a knife. After 10 thousand or so years at it we've gotten quite good at it.
too stupid to make a knife. We've making them for around 10 thousand years now
Original post by Profesh
Octopodes.

(Or, y'know: octopuses.)

Sorry I can't say I refer to octopuses particularly often in my day to day life.

Original post by StriderHort
I think the gist is that the bigger packs are harder to pinch, they already ID for the bought ones. It's a pretty low risk/high PR move for them to make I suspect, I doubt 'Single knife buyers' is a demographic they are really interested in keeping.

They're screwed if anyone over 18 wants to stab someone right enough.

I got new knives for Christmas and the packaging for the multipack I got wasn't even much bigger than the box for a singular chef knife. If I were to steal them they'd have been as easy as each other to lift. It's a great marketing tactic tho: Pointlessly virtue signal to act like you're doing something about a modern hot topic is a classic.
Original post by Wลden

Could do how a lotta supermarkets deal with/used to deal with physical copies of video games where they just have an empty box on the shelves and you have to go to a help desk to get the physical product.

But both these options are far too obvious, apparently.
Sorry I can't say I refer to octopuses particularly often in my day to day life.

I got new knives for Christmas and the packaging for the multipack I got wasn't even much bigger than the box for a singular chef knife. If I were to steal them they'd have been as easy as each other to lift. It's a great marketing tactic tho: Pointlessly virtue signal to act like you're doing something about a modern hot topic is a classic.

I get what you mean, in a lot of ways shipping/selling knife sets is most efficient if they are side by side, so the same basic shape as a single one, but i've seen a lot of shops adopt what i can only assume is intentionally bulky packaging for sets, like a big A4 sheet of plastic with each knife in it's own slot sort of thing, not unstealable, but harder.

I agree though, it's basically an easy gesture and at the end of the day won't stop anyone that REALLY wants to carry a knife.
I didnโ€™t realise Asda were selling zombie style knives in their stores. I doubt gangs are using knives purchased from Asda do this is just some ******** virtual signalling none sense.
Wow Iโ€™m new here and really need to tone down the language as it gets censored. Iโ€™m not saying any terribly hard core words either. The last post referred to excrement which comes out of a male cows behind. I need to be more creative. My last comment was utter Balderdash.
LIDL still sells chainsaws and welding torches right? :tongue:

I hope they dont stop :s-smilie:
Whilst am not too worried about the stopping of single knives there is a whole aisle in wilko with saws etc in and this aisle is really important to us product design students for our models :redface:
its a bit silly. There is no way of restricting the availability of knives, none that are remotely practical at least.

Its just something we have to accept - we can control the availability of dedicated-weapons that serve no other purpose then being a weapon (guns etc), but we can't control the availability of every-day objects that could be used as a weapon as well as their primary use (bats, knives, cars even)

If you can't solve the problem by dealing with the availability, then you must solve it by dealing with the causes of knife crime. Start with single-parent families, and the lack of dads in poor communities.. then work on to re-creating proper local communities, and keep going from there.
Original post by Letsbereal
I didnโ€™t realise Asda were selling zombie style knives in their stores. I doubt gangs are using knives purchased from Asda do this is just some ******** virtual signalling none sense.

From what I understand small kitchen knives are v popular, Kitchen Devils especially, not to mention ceramic blades ect that can pass metal wands. So called 'zombie knives' tend to be novelty display pieces, you can certainly do someone with them, but they often don't have much of an edge.
Fallen acorns has the answer.
From what I understand small kitchen knives are v popular, Kitchen Devils especially, not to mention ceramic blades ect that can pass metal wands. So called 'zombie knives' tend to be novelty display pieces, you can certainly do someone with them, but they often don't have much of an edge.

Yh, nobody goes around with zombie knives in their pocket. They're hardly discreet and are not accessible.
Guess I'll use my Mastersword to finely chop carrots

Quick Reply

Latest