The Student Room Group

does anyone know any good subjects to choose for year 9 and gcse?

I would like to become a lawyer or a barrister when I'm older and I want to make the correct choices earlier in life. I am deciding between history, geography, sociology (psychology??), business and drama.
would these be helpful choices or is there any others I could consider. also, would I need psychology to become a lawyer or barrister or not and same with drama???
Reply 1
I would recommend Media or at least ICT to show you have some understanding of the modern world.
I recommend history and RE/Philosophy at GCSE Level.

Good luck.
Reply 3
It’s Year 9, I don’t think the choices you make here are exactly going to effect your future as a lawyer 😂

Just do what you enjoy
The subjects you take at GCSE don't matter. The grades are more important.

Take what you like.
Reply 5
I would choose them but I am very bad at them and I wouldn't want to make a bad mistake! Is business going to give me an understanding of the modern well as well to some extent??
Original post by Lala143
I would recommend Media or at least ICT to show you have some understanding of the modern world.
Reply 6
thank you! =)
Original post by Ollie_16
I recommend history and RE/Philosophy at GCSE Level.

Good luck.
History is a good choice, if you want to pursue a career in Law.

Then again, like others have said, it's all about what you enjoy. A-Level is more a concern anyway. As long as you do well in your GCSEs, I doubt they'd care too much.
Reply 8
thanks =)
Original post by RazzzBerries
History is a good choice, if you want to pursue a career in Law.

Then again, like others have said, it's all about what you enjoy. A-Level is more a concern anyway. As long as you do well in your GCSEs, I doubt they'd care too much.
You don't at all need these subjects to show you understand the modern world. 'Understanding the modern world' is a very vague thing. Just take GCSE's that you enjoy and think you will do well in. At GCSE level it's mostly the grades that matter, not the subject choice. A levels is when you need to start narrowing down your subjects.
Original post by Lala143
Reply 10
thank you, I will keep that in mind
Original post by lewism3333
You don't at all need these subjects to show you understand the modern world. 'Understanding the modern world' is a very vague thing. Just take GCSE's that you enjoy and think you will do well in. At GCSE level it's mostly the grades that matter, not the subject choice. A levels is when you need to start narrowing down your subjects.
Original post by cool_cool
I would choose them but I am very bad at them and I wouldn't want to make a bad mistake! Is business going to give me an understanding of the modern well as well to some extent?

Business would help too but you shouldn't think that you can't do something I'm sure you'll do well in your GCSEs whatever you choose but most of the people taking these subjects won't be much better than you and if you're really worried about it just choose whichever subject comes naturally to you and that you do enjoy.
Wishing you all the best and I hope you make the right choice!!!:biggrin:
business studies and RS have been my absolute favourite GCSEs :smile:
alsooo, gcse subjects dont really matter in terms of career prospects, they only care about A-Levels and degrees
you could take gcse music and pe and you would still be able to be a barrister
do sociology history and business
Original post by cool_cool
I would like to become a lawyer or a barrister when I'm older and I want to make the correct choices earlier in life. I am deciding between history, geography, sociology (psychology??), business and drama.
would these be helpful choices or is there any others I could consider. also, would I need psychology to become a lawyer or barrister or not and same with drama???

HI there,

Would definitely recommend history as it helps delevelop your esssay writing abilties. But like vanillaneutrino mentioned above most important thing is your grades need to be high. Have a look at this link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zmskpg8#:~:text=What%20GCSEs%20should%20I%20take%20to%20become%20a%20lawyer%3F&text=To%20study%20law%2C%20you'll,for%20the%20highest%20grades%20possible.
As it gives some good advance as to what subjects you should take to become a lawyer.

Hope this helps you with your choices,

Tam
Student Ambassador at ULaw

Quick Reply

Latest