The Student Room Group

Fed up of bad drivers!

Hi all,

I’m literally getting fed up of bad drivers in most places. I drive a Kia Rio 1.5 diesel and it’s not the fastest of cars. But I’m getting people pushing up behind me when I’m trying to turn into a junction and also tailgating me and trying to false me off the road. (I’m doing the speed limit!) Why do people do this?

Scroll to see replies

There's some things that are just inexcusable. There's a junction near mine, and you can see if there's a car heading towards it when you're approaching it, and you can pretty much guarantee that the driver is going to pull out on you.. because the direction I travel in is always quiet, and people wrongly assume that they don't need to look as there won't be anyone there. There are lots of saved clips on my dashcam thanks to that one junction alone. Always check, and never assume. It could be the most expensive assumption you ever make.
Because half of the worst drivers on the road are inconsiderate, passive aggressive jerks.

The others are criminal idiots with anger management problems.
I've just had an idiot drive through my back garden and almost kill me along with the puppy I'm looking after.
Smashed through the picket fence, destroying my pot plants and ruining the garden. :angry::angry:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi all,

I’m literally getting fed up of bad drivers in most places. I drive a Kia Rio 1.5 diesel and it’s not the fastest of cars. But I’m getting people pushing up behind me when I’m trying to turn into a junction and also tailgating me and trying to false me off the road. (I’m doing the speed limit!) Why do people do this?

I only passed today and without the L plates on my car, I realised how aggressive REAL driving is lol.
England isn't nearly as bad as France and Italy, trust me, done enough miles in both - one thing we have to hold onto is British courtesy. Just a few people with small peepee syndrome ruin it for everyone. Ignore them and let them do something stupid, don't be forced into doing so yourself. Get front and rear facing dashcams, the worst that can ever happen is you'll be claiming from their insurance.
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm afraid if you're doing the speed limit you're likely to get tailgated. Most people want to do 35-40 in 30mph zones.
Reply 6
It's quite puzzling when you think about it - most drivers do seem to be aggressive a lot of the time as you have identified but then again, most drivers seem to be considerate at other times, e.g. giving way when they don't have to and waving when you have given way to them. It seems a bit inconsistent sometimes.
Reply 7
Original post by Aaron702
I'm afraid if you're doing the speed limit you're likely to get tailgated. Most people want to do 35-40 in 30mph zones.

It always amazes me how rare it is for other drivers to go at 30 in 30 zones but then 60 in NSL when it is safe to do so. Most of the rare people who do 30 when they should seem to go quite slowly in NSL - why do so few people go at the speed that they should?
Hi all,

Give 'em a spray of the windscreen wash.

Spoiler

Just ignore them, get a rear facing dashcam and record them and upload them being fools onto http://www.rate-driver.co.uk
Don't waste your energy on things you can't control, it's not worth it :smile:
Hi all,

Put an inscription on the back of your car:
"IF YOU HIT MY BACK, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY
If you don't want to pay, keep safe distance."
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Just ignore them, get a rear facing dashcam and record them and upload them being fools onto http://www.rate-driver.co.uk

Haha I didn't know about that site but it's reassuring that there are no results when I put my number plate in :smile:
A lot of it comes down to the car you're driving. In my old Passat I rarely had problems. It was clean and tidy, tinted windows, lowered 20mm, and looked like a reasonably nice car. I now have an old 4x4 and while driving at exactly the same speeds as I used to in my Passat, people following me treat me very differently. I get tailgated and overtaken far more often.

It is hilarious when they don't have the balls to follow me at the speed I'm doing through the twisty bits though. Come on, it's an old 4x4 on all terrain tyres - your modern car could easily keep up. Get to a straight and they're right up my arse again.
Original post by maths42
It always amazes me how rare it is for other drivers to go at 30 in 30 zones but then 60 in NSL when it is safe to do so. Most of the rare people who do 30 when they should seem to go quite slowly in NSL - why do so few people go at the speed that they should?

Because there are drivers which I have named "I'll drive at the same speed everywhere" drivers. Will annoy me so much going 41 in a 60, but continue to go 41 in a 30 and nearly run a pedastrian over in the process. Basically, they're clueless
It's more inconsiderate and impatient fools.
Reply 15
I know this thread is one month old, but I just had a situation yesterday and trying to figure out, who was in the wrong there. I was driving on a dual carridgeway, it’s a 50mph road and I kept my distance, so when the guy in front of me was braking, I could easily slow down too. Yet for some reason, he decided to brake check me a few times, there was no one in front of him, so he had no need to brake. He was going slow enough to move over to the left lane, but he decided to continue in the righthand lane just to block me. Those brake checks worried me a little, so I did the „unthinkable” and undertook him in the left lane and then moved back onto the right lane and left him behind me. He clearly got annoyed and decided he will tailgate me, he was so close, I didn’t even see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I thought this isn’t funny and it’s probably time to get away from him. Everything happened so fast, I moved onto the middle lane and then onto the lefthand lane, was still within the speed limit. He was sitting on my ass all this time. So when I saw a window in the middle lane, I jumped onto it and then onto the righthand lane thinking I’ve lost him inbetween the cars. Well, surprise, surprise, he continued in the lefthand lane and sped up, which allowed him to hop onto the middle lane and right onto righthand lane which is where I was. He pushed in front of me while slowing down, until he fully stopped put his hazard lights on, got out of the car and was walking towards me. He stopped the traffic on a very busy 50mph road, because he didn’t like the fact that he was slow and someone else wanted to take him over. At that point I thought I’m dead, but managed to move over to the lefthand lane and drive off. Now, I am not saying my driving was ideal, because it wasn’t, I don’t do stuff like that on a daily basis, but him chasing me like that on a busy road made me feel threatened and worried. Someone told me that once I was in front of him, I was ok and I shouldn’t move from one lane to another, but I don’t understand how is that being ok? How can I feel safe and not worried, when someone is so close behind me? Honestly what other option do I have, when someone is bullying me like that? If he let me be after I undertook him, or move over onto the lefthand lane and leave righthand lane free, none of this would happen.
Reply 16
Original post by Becks79
I know this thread is one month old, but I just had a situation yesterday and trying to figure out, who was in the wrong there. I was driving on a dual carridgeway, it’s a 50mph road and I kept my distance, so when the guy in front of me was braking, I could easily slow down too. Yet for some reason, he decided to brake check me a few times, there was no one in front of him, so he had no need to brake. He was going slow enough to move over to the left lane, but he decided to continue in the righthand lane just to block me. Those brake checks worried me a little, so I did the „unthinkable” and undertook him in the left lane and then moved back onto the right lane and left him behind me. He clearly got annoyed and decided he will tailgate me, he was so close, I didn’t even see his headlights in my rear view mirror. I thought this isn’t funny and it’s probably time to get away from him. Everything happened so fast, I moved onto the middle lane and then onto the lefthand lane, was still within the speed limit. He was sitting on my ass all this time. So when I saw a window in the middle lane, I jumped onto it and then onto the righthand lane thinking I’ve lost him inbetween the cars. Well, surprise, surprise, he continued in the lefthand lane and sped up, which allowed him to hop onto the middle lane and right onto righthand lane which is where I was. He pushed in front of me while slowing down, until he fully stopped put his hazard lights on, got out of the car and was walking towards me. He stopped the traffic on a very busy 50mph road, because he didn’t like the fact that he was slow and someone else wanted to take him over. At that point I thought I’m dead, but managed to move over to the lefthand lane and drive off. Now, I am not saying my driving was ideal, because it wasn’t, I don’t do stuff like that on a daily basis, but him chasing me like that on a busy road made me feel threatened and worried. Someone told me that once I was in front of him, I was ok and I shouldn’t move from one lane to another, but I don’t understand how is that being ok? How can I feel safe and not worried, when someone is so close behind me? Honestly what other option do I have, when someone is bullying me like that? If he let me be after I undertook him, or move over onto the lefthand lane and leave righthand lane free, none of this would happen.

Why were you both hogging the right hand lane?
Reply 17
I wasn’t hogging, I was waiting for him to move over, when he didn’t, I undertook him and then went back onto the righthand lane, as the traffic in lefthand lane was slower than I was.
Original post by IWMTom
Why were you both hogging the right hand lane?
Reply 18
Original post by Becks79
I wasn’t hogging, I was waiting for him to move over, when he didn’t, I undertook him and then went back onto the righthand lane, as the traffic in lefthand lane was slower than I was.

Any dashcam footage?
Reply 19
Yeah, but due to the fact, that I did undertake a few cars, I’m not sure, if I should be showing it to anyone :eek:
Original post by IWMTom
Any dashcam footage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending