The Student Room Group

Tonsillitis is ruining my life

I have had tonsillitis on and off for the past three years and it is recurring more and more as time goes on. It all started when I began uni and has never really fully gone away. Half is recorded on my medical records at my doctors in the city I study uni at and half shows up as a temporary resident at my home town as I am a student and stupidly you cannot register at more than one doctors at a time.

The medical records will not be shared between the two no matter how hard I try. As the tonsillitis records are spread across both, I can’t even be admitted for a tonsillectomy as I have not had it enough times to be accepted. I am constantly having to pay for antibiotics and the tonsillitis goes away for a short while and then returns. Each time it returns, I am getting more and more depressed - feeling suicidal etc as I am constantly terrified it’s going to keep coming back and nothing is being done about it. It is hugely affecting personal life, university work etc and I am massively losing my patience now.

I recently went to my doctors at uni again and said how I am struggling sleeping and constantly crying etc because of all of this. I was just given antibiotics again to pay for and sent on my way. Every time, including this time, I take them exactly how I should and constantly take care of my mouth.

I finished the last course this morning, now again I am struggling sleeping and feeling a disgusting taste in my mouth whenever I swallow and whenever I wake up I have dry yellow bacteria in the back of my mouth no matter how much I look after my oral care. This is happening pretty much every day now whether I take antibiotics or not. I am so sick and tired and I genuinely think it hasn’t even gone away this time. That’s another appointment to book I guess. I feel I am not being listened to and that all of the money on antibiotics is a waste. I am so depressed and it is ruining so much for me and really just taking a hold of my life now. I don't know what to do anymore.

Does anyone have any advice?
Every time you get it go to your GP so they can document the frequency. After a certain amount of times per year, I believe it's four they recommend removal, or get it done privately.
Reply 2
I'm 100% still continuing to do that. But I've had it more than 5 times within a year so I should be getting considered for a tonsillectomy but they are refusing to share my medical records so it's not fair really.
Original post by SomeWelshGuy123
Every time you get it go to your GP so they can document the frequency. After a certain amount of times per year, I believe it's four they recommend removal, or get it done privately.
I’m sorry to say it is 7 times in one year or 5 times over 2 years before they will consider you for a tonsillectomy on the NHS. I’m in the same boat it’s honestly miserable, hoping you get some good news!
Reply 4
Honestly if they would just share my medical records, I would be close to that mark! Thank you, I wish the same for you too.
Original post by megan_fudge
I’m sorry to say it is 7 times in one year or 5 times over 2 years before they will consider you for a tonsillectomy on the NHS. I’m in the same boat it’s honestly miserable, hoping you get some good news!
Your only option is to go back to your GP, explain that your records are spread between two doctor's surgeries and that you are really suffering with it and it's affecting your life. If you emphasise how much of an impact it's having on your life and you tell them how many times you've had it, then a decent doctor would hopefully look into organising a tonsillectomy. If they don't, go to another doctor at your surgery.
Original post by Anonymous
I have had tonsillitis on and off for the past three years and it is recurring more and more as time goes on. It all started when I began uni and has never really fully gone away. Half is recorded on my medical records at my doctors in the city I study uni at and half shows up as a temporary resident at my home town as I am a student and stupidly you cannot register at more than one doctors at a time.

The medical records will not be shared between the two no matter how hard I try. As the tonsillitis records are spread across both, I can’t even be admitted for a tonsillectomy as I have not had it enough times to be accepted. I am constantly having to pay for antibiotics and the tonsillitis goes away for a short while and then returns. Each time it returns, I am getting more and more depressed - feeling suicidal etc as I am constantly terrified it’s going to keep coming back and nothing is being done about it. It is hugely affecting personal life, university work etc and I am massively losing my patience now.

I recently went to my doctors at uni again and said how I am struggling sleeping and constantly crying etc because of all of this. I was just given antibiotics again to pay for and sent on my way. Every time, including this time, I take them exactly how I should and constantly take care of my mouth.

I finished the last course this morning, now again I am struggling sleeping and feeling a disgusting taste in my mouth whenever I swallow and whenever I wake up I have dry yellow bacteria in the back of my mouth no matter how much I look after my oral care. This is happening pretty much every day now whether I take antibiotics or not. I am so sick and tired and I genuinely think it hasn’t even gone away this time. That’s another appointment to book I guess. I feel I am not being listened to and that all of the money on antibiotics is a waste. I am so depressed and it is ruining so much for me and really just taking a hold of my life now. I don't know what to do anymore.

Reply 6
You'd think so. I've been back and forth crying my eyes out and stressing how much it is affecting me but these doctors are doing nothing to help.
Original post by hannxm
Your only option is to go back to your GP, explain that your records are spread between two doctor's surgeries and that you are really suffering with it and it's affecting your life. If you emphasise how much of an impact it's having on your life and you tell them how many times you've had it, then a decent doctor would hopefully look into organising a tonsillectomy. If they don't, go to another doctor at your surgery.
Reply 7

Book an appointment with the GP you like most at and explain the situation. Say you need the records to be shared so you gan get a tonsillectomy. They should be able to do that. Records are shared when you change practice so there's no reason for them to be refusing.
If that doesn't work call the NHS helpline (the one for non-medical stuff) and ask how you are meant to get your records moved over.
If that doesn't work make s written request for you medical records citing the data protection act. They legally have to oblige within a certain amount of time. They may charge you a fee though (like £25 max). You cna then give those records to the other doctors surgery yourself.

You can also ask for a private referr to an ent who can then give you a tonsillectomy privately with no requirements to meet. You would have to pay though and that could come to about a thousand pounds with consultations and the surgery.
Reply 8
Everything comes with a price and as a student I'm not able to afford to go private. I have called the old practice to ask for my medical records and they said they would speak to the manager but I've heard nothing back since. It seems to be a huge problem to get them to be sent over. Thanks for your help.
Original post by Kindred
Book an appointment with the GP you like most at and explain the situation. Say you need the records to be shared so you gan get a tonsillectomy. They should be able to do that. Records are shared when you change practice so there's no reason for them to be refusing.
If that doesn't work call the NHS helpline (the one for non-medical stuff) and ask how you are meant to get your records moved over.
If that doesn't work make s written request for you medical records citing the data protection act. They legally have to oblige within a certain amount of time. They may charge you a fee though (like £25 max). You cna then give those records to the other doctors surgery yourself.

You can also ask for a private referr to an ent who can then give you a tonsillectomy privately with no requirements to meet. You would have to pay though and that could come to about a thousand pounds with consultations and the surgery.
Reply 9
Everything comes with a price and as a student I'm not able to afford to go private. I have called the old practice to ask for my medical records and they said they would speak to the manager but I've heard nothing back since. It seems to be a huge problem to get them to be sent over. Thanks for your help.

Don't be afraid to nag a bit. It is something they should be able to do.
Your last option then would be to pay privately for the treatment. :\
You'd think so. I've been back and forth crying my eyes out and stressing how much it is affecting me but these doctors are doing nothing to help.
Sorry to hear this! I would be persistent and keep asking for your medical records to be shared between the GPs. If they've not responded they've probably forgotten about it.

I hope this gets sorted quickly for you!

Lucy

Hi, I understand your pain, I'm in my first year of sixth form but the number of times I would get tonsilitis stressed me out especially because i didn't want it affecting my last year of school (I do IB and already struggling enough as it is!!). I just had mine removed 9 days ago and despite the pain for the first 5 days- I think it will really be beneficial.
Reply 13
No advice here for you bud but I am in the same boat. Its been about 8 years my tonsils started to effect me and i thought i was alone. I cant afford my tonsillectomy because of my bills and its ruining my life. Just know you're not alone man. Its constant 24/7 agony for me
Original post by missingh1
Hi, I understand your pain, I'm in my first year of sixth form but the number of times I would get tonsilitis stressed me out especially because i didn't want it affecting my last year of school (I do IB and already struggling enough as it is!!). I just had mine removed 9 days ago and despite the pain for the first 5 days- I think it will really be beneficial.

I had mine removed back in 2012 I thought everything seemed great for years until this year had throat pain that felt exactly like tonsillitis its excruciating I rarely eat or drink and I basically become skin and bones because of this awful pain and rarely go outside felt like it ruined alot of my life
You would have to pay though and that could come to about a thousand pounds with consultations and the surgery.

£1000 for a tonsillectomy? more like £4000
Nice necro.
Original post by Cryoraptor
Nice necro.

it's only been two years and tonsils don't fix themselves. sit back down

Latest