The Student Room Group

Do you know what selective mutism is?

Yes? No?

If yes then what do you know?

I just want to see what people know on the topic.

Scroll to see replies

Yes
Yep, I’ve had it since age 2.
Original post by Mruczega
Yes? No?

Choosing not to talk. Often following a trauma
Reply 4
Original post by squeakysquirrel
Choosing not to talk. Often following a trauma

So that's a no. I think you're thinking of elective mutism which is an outdated term for it from when our understanding of it was very weak.
Reply 5
Original post by CoolCavy
Yes

:smile: I would be glad to hear what you know. I do read up a lot on it so it kinda turned into a hobby.
Reply 6
Choosing to stay silent rather than having input?
Kind off. But I wish to know more
It’s not really a choice to stay quiet. That’s a big misunderstanding of selective mutism but it’s this type of social anxiety disorder where you are unable to speak in certain situations, but in other situations, you can act more like yourself and speak freely without any difficulty.
For example, with me I am probably the most quietest student in school (I can talk but it’s just hard to) but when I’m with my friends/ family, I act completely like an extrovert (people normally freak out when they get to know the real me😂).
My advice on if you meet someone with selective mutism is to not force the person to speak and allow them to get to know you and there environment in there own time, then they might eventually start saying a few words and overtime their verbal communication will improve as they start to feel more comfortable in the environment.
Hope this helps👍
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
It’s not really a choice to stay quiet. That’s a big misunderstanding of selective mutism but it’s this type of social anxiety disorder where you are unable to speak in certain situations, but in other situations, you can act more like yourself and speak freely without any difficulty.
For example, with me I am probably the most quietest student in school (I can talk but it’s just hard to) but when I’m with my friends/ family, I act completely like an extrovert (people normally freak out when they get to know the real me😂).
My advice on if you meet someone with selective mutism is to not force the person to speak and allow them to get to know you and there environment in there own time, then they might eventually start saying a few words and overtime their verbal communication will improve as they start to feel more comfortable in the environment.
Hope this helps👍

Damn, I honestly didn't expect so many people not to know so after seeing all the other comments I am surprised but also glad that someone knows what it is.

Do you have it/used to have it?
Reply 10
Original post by jfoo
Choosing to stay silent rather than having input?

Oh no but a lot of people get that confused cuz before it was believed that it was out of choice. Since then we have learned a lot more about it. For example, it's not a choice and if you do try the words just don't come out.
Yes. Is it like anxiety when speaking in certain situations? They are comfortable to speak in more comfortable situations.
When someone has the physical ability to speak but does not for psychological reasons. Often they will speak to a a group of people in one situation but not another eg they will speak to family in home but not people at school. It’s often related to social anxiety
Reply 13
Original post by 12aissid
When someone has the physical ability to speak but does not for psychological reasons. Often they will speak to a a group of people in one situation but not another eg they will speak to family in home but not people at school. It’s often related to social anxiety

Yep :smile:
Original post by Mruczega
Yes? No?

Hi! -- Definitely. I've had it since I was 2 years old (I'm 21!) So I know the ins and outs. What would you like to know?
Original post by Anonymous
Yep, I’ve had it since age 2.

ME TOO 💕
Original post by pinkcarrots
Hi! -- Definitely. I've had it since I was 2 years old (I'm 21!) So I know the ins and outs. What would you like to know?

Can you share your experiences with it? How was it dealing with people? If you are 21 i am assuming you went uni how was it with your condition (i apolofise for any wrong assumptions). What are the things that peoe do related to your condition that iritate you.

Thank you for sharing
Hi. I've never been to uni and honestly I'm never planning on it because of my situation. I've completed 2.5 courses doing art in college though. more or less kept to myself and avoided people because I've learnt to be comfortable on my own since people really dont understand and try to make me talk or ask me questions therefore making me anxious.

things that people have done that irritate me are

1. people saying 'JUST TAAALK!'
2. people calling me ignorant or giving me dirty looks when I cant respond. like I get that it's new to people when someone cant talk but reacting harshly is unnecessary and makes me cry and distressed. also so embarrassed.
3. being targeted (people blaming me knowing I cant say 'no it wasn't!') so blame was shifted onto me which is cruel.
4. my family still sometimes tell me to 'say bye' to family members -- I can't talk to 97% of my family and I feel embarrassed because I clearly cant say bye if I cant say anything else. I know it's not their fault but it does embarrass me.
5. when people expect me to talk after they know I can't. if I cant say anything prior, I'm not going to say goodbye to you or answer questions.
6. teachers didn't really like me because a mute student was new to them. they'd try forcing me to talk then shouting at me.
7. growing up I had no friends. they stayed away from me because they dont want to deal with me. in turn I've learnt being alone is what I prefer.
Yes. Took the time to read into it sometime 12-13 years ago.
Reply 19
Yes.

I've got to admit, I am skepticle over it though ...and wonder if the people just choose to stay quiet due to anxiety rather than physically can't say anything.......

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending