The Student Room Group

Being Muslim and gay

Scroll to see replies

Original post by punkdilla
No. Islam is damaging. Other religions and social values are also damaging but Islam is as well. The current social manifestation of Islam results in immense self hatred in homosexual people and is hugely damaging to self esteem and confidence. Islam also has the word of God rely on and this is a huge thing to question so challenging it is very difficult for believers. it's a damaging and cruel religion and needs reforming. which some people are and I respect that

u need reforming. i swear u man chat so much ****. it’s ppl like u who r ruining society. always complaining bout others and never looking at urself. b4 u come out here hating on **** take a look at urself.
u chat so much bout religions yet u know nothing bout them. u have one argument and only look at stats to back them up. u man just idiots i swear
I was born in a Muslim family dude. I am looking at myself. My life philosophy doesn't make homosexual people hate themselves so is significantly better than Islam. Sort your religion out
Original post by Anonymous
u need reforming. i swear u man chat so much ****. it’s ppl like u who r ruining society. always complaining bout others and never looking at urself. b4 u come out here hating on **** take a look at urself.
u chat so much bout religions yet u know nothing bout them. u have one argument and only look at stats to back them up. u man just idiots i swear
I was born in a Muslim family dude. I am looking at myself. My life philosophy doesn't make homosexual people hate themselves so is significantly better than Islam. Sort your religion out

basically ur just salty coz ur gay. it’s cool. stfu
There's nothing wrong with being gay. Your homophobia is showing. This is why your religion is crappy.
bout the being muslim and gay ting. do you read the quran i am not judging you or anything but the quran specifically said that it was haram, my brother or sister who said this yh the ting is if you hold your pleasures and good i the dunnah you get even better in the alakirah come on brov.Islamic scholars overwhelmingly teach that same-gender sex is a sin.

The Muslim holy book, the Quran, tells the story of Lot and the destruction of Sodom - and sodomy in Arabic is known as "liwat," based on Lot's name.

Men having sex with each other should be punished, the Koran says, but it doesn't say how - and it adds that they should be left alone if they repent.
hold your tongue and try not to get angry. the only reason i didn't reply back to this person is because there are many people who won't open their minds to understand things, and no amount of words will get them to see reason. allah will help those who want to be helped, allah swt guides whomever he wills. refrain from insulting and getting angry, it's what fuels their fire and gives them even more reason to dislike islam.
islam is perfect, the followers are not. no muslim is perfect, and no muslim can measure how good of a muslim he is. that lies with allah swt. your criticism is directed at muslims who condemn gay people, not at the religion. so you can't base your opinion of a religion on its followers. because one muslim might be homophobic, doesn't mean the religion is. islam teaches to respect people regardless - sometimes its followers don't.
There's nothing wrong with being gay. Your homophobia is showing. This is why your religion is crappy.
this is why Islam is damaging

Islam’s not the issue here.
Reply 28
I have started this discussion to understand a bit more on how to combat my problems and share it with a few people. I love my religion whatsoever. If anything it makes me a better person due to its moderate and humble teachings. Anything can be given an extreme view to degrade it. The ayah that is referred to is for the people who despite of being straight just sleep with men to get rid of their sexual frustrations in eastern societies. I might be wrong and I’m open to constructive views. But please refrain from taking jibes at my religion. Thank you!
Reply 29
What a ridiculous answer. So much ignorance. He is gay. You don't want him to be but you have no desire to understsnd his feelings and you think he can' cure 'himself of who he really is. crazy! You are completely misrepresenting Islam.
I am a practicing Muslim and I love my faith and tend to be good and do good as much as I can. I have been dealing with tough family problems for quite long along with another factor. I am gay and closeted. People say that it’s ones own choice. But how can it be if I felt like a girl since I was 2 or had my first crush when I was 4. Didn’t know what was happening until later. I have tried to abstain from everything but can’t anymore. I still force myself but am unable to. There is no one I can discuss this with. I am on mental health medication as well. People say it’s a test as I’ve read on discussions and one must try to curb desires. But those who are not going through it don’t know. Sometimes it’s as little as having someone to embrace. I would much appreciate a Muslim opinion as it means a lot to me.
Thanks

You will hear the usual nonsense about not being a muslim if you are gay. lots of muslims are ignorant on this point and this iscwhy you are suffering mentally
i’m muslim and u just need stop. firstly stop caring bout love then ull sort urself. simple. ur not gay then.
Reply 30
No. its the lack of compassion and the ignorance of some of the followers of Islam that is the problem!
Original post by MiszShorTea765
Reply 31
No. its the lack of compassion and the ignorance of some of the followers of Islam that is the problem!
Original post by MiszShorTea765

Original post by mgi
What a ridiculous answer. So much ignorance. He is gay. You don't want him to be but you have no desire to understsnd his feelings and you think he can' cure 'himself of who he really is. crazy! You are completely misrepresenting Islam.

You will hear the usual nonsense about not being a muslim if you are gay. lots of muslims are ignorant on this point and this iscwhy you are suffering mentally

Original post by wombledon
1) Hindus and Muslims still do not get along in the LGBT community. It's wrong to constantly force the two communities together. Hindus also have to deal with homophobia just as bad as the Muslims and the media shouldn't pander to the idea that the Muslims are the underdog.

2) A lot of South Indians sexually dislike North Indians and Middle Easterners. Mainstream media basically hates South Indians, and by this I include the idea that we shouldn't be grouped in with Pakistanis but treated like a separate group.

3) Most Muslims in the UK are Pakistani which are probably the most hated community in the UK. It's ridiculous to suggest that a Sri Lankan and a Pakistani should be grouped together when they probably hate each other more than any other pairing.

i'm a muslim, and am still in the process of becoming firm in faith. it's been difficult, and i'll be honest - there was a stage in my life where i truly believed i was bisexual, and closeted. i guess i'm not, as if i was ever interested in a girl, it was only sexual fantasies.

i'll tell you honestly - it IS a test. probably one of the hardest ones from allah. my advice to you is to remain strong in your faith, and don't let this become too much for you. however controversial this might seem - i'm sure your feelings about women will change as time passes on. i suggest reading quran and understanding more about islam - it'll really open your mind and heal you spiritually, wallahi. all i can say to you is to pray to allah to guide you, and help you restrain and control your feelings. inshallah things get better. don't feel condemned because of your feelings - there are any people in the same position as you. don't let it drive you away from islam.

i know two girls who are bisexual and muslim, and unfortunately it seems like they've both turned away from islam, feeling attacked by other muslims and what people say about homosexuality. don't let that be you. the only advice i can give you, without making it seem like i'm condemning you and forcing you to be straight, is to pray to allah. he is all forgiving and the most merciful. and remember: no one is punished for their thoughts. allah swt does not punish anyone for thinking sinful things - it's human nature to have nafs. inshallah, you will be rewarded for your struggle.
You should read about the people of Lut and how Allah dealt with such people.
Reply 33
islam is perfect, the followers are not. no muslim is perfect, and no muslim can measure how good of a muslim he is. that lies with allah swt. your criticism is directed at muslims who condemn gay people, not at the religion. so you can't base your opinion of a religion on its followers. because one muslim might be homophobic, doesn't mean the religion is. islam teaches to respect people regardless - sometimes its followers don't.

If what you say is correct then why are so many Muslims so legalistic and judgmental and in denial of the homosexuality in their communuties, marriages and mosques?
Original post by mgi
If what you say is correct then why are so many Muslims so legalistic and judgmental and in denial of the homosexuality in their communuties, marriages and mosques?

Because we believe the one who practises such acts is committing a major sin which should be looked down upon and not promoted.
Original post by PauI Pogba
Because we believe the one who practises such acts is committing a major sin which should be looked down upon and not promoted.

Sin does not exist.
Tell God to take away the gay within 24 hours and if he can't take away the gay then the gay is here to stay.
Salam!

I think it’s very hard to suppress your sexuality, and I’m sceptical of advice that says fasting and reading as much Quran as possible will change who you’re attracted to.

I would recommend that you find a community of lgbtqi Muslims who you can talk to, I’m sure they will have been through some of the things you’re dealing with now. They will also probably have a much greater understanding of the Quran, particular when it comes to sexuality, than a straight Muslim who’s never had to question or reconcile their sexuality with Islam.

I hope you find what you’re looking for ISA!
Reply 38
Salam!

I think it’s very hard to suppress your sexuality, and I’m sceptical of advice that says fasting and reading as much Quran as possible will change who you’re attracted to.

I would recommend that you find a community of lgbtqi Muslims who you can talk to, I’m sure they will have been through some of the things you’re dealing with now. They will also probably have a much greater understanding of the Quran, particular when it comes to sexuality, than a straight Muslim who’s never had to question or reconcile their sexuality with Islam.

I hope you find what you’re looking for ISA!

Thank you very much for being amongst the very few to understand. I’m not out hence I’m cannot actively look for such people. Thus came to this forum

nah ur taking it as an insult. idiot like really. i never said anything about it plus how do you know that i’m even muslim.

Quick Reply

Latest