The Student Room Group

British Council Language Assistants 2019/2020

Hey,

Not sure if there’s already a thread for this years ELA intakes through the British Council.

Has anyone applied for the English Language Assistant role?

I’ve applied for China and was wondering if anyone has heard back about their interviews?

Scroll to see replies

Hiii, I applied to China too! I've not heard anything either yet, although I listened to all of the web seminar and they said that they wouldn't be sending all the video interviews at once so not to worry. I don't think anyone has heard back yet but not completely sure. Although I check my emails all the time anyway haha :'D
Reply 2
Original post by vhirei
Hiii, I applied to China too! I've not heard anything either yet, although I listened to all of the web seminar and they said that they wouldn't be sending all the video interviews at once so not to worry. I don't think anyone has heard back yet but not completely sure. Although I check my emails all the time anyway haha :'D

Amazing! I watched the webinar and heard that too, I guess I’ll keep checking haha. What areas did you choose?
Reply 3
I applied for Austria, haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully soon! Does anyone know how they decide whether to give you a language interview?
I chose Shanghai as my first preference, Beijing as second and I can't remember what one I picked as third :'D What about you?? Yeah haha I'm super nervous but I'm sure we'll hear back soon!
Original post by Bubble_10
Amazing! I watched the webinar and heard that too, I guess I’ll keep checking haha. What areas did you choose?
I'm not completely sure but from the seminar it sounded like making sure that you're eligible (have a degree, age, ect) and that you're a good character from what you've written. Although I can't be completely sure but that's what it sounded like when someone asked a similar question!
Original post by Ellagracec
I applied for Austria, haven't heard anything back yet, but hopefully soon! Does anyone know how they decide whether to give you a language interview?
Reply 6
Original post by vhirei
I chose Shanghai as my first preference, Beijing as second and I can't remember what one I picked as third :'D What about you?? Yeah haha I'm super nervous but I'm sure we'll hear back soon!

Nice! I chose Beijing as my first
Reply 7
Original post by Ellagracec

My friend applied for Latin America, by the sounds of her webinar they don’t do a language test. Can’t be too sure though!
Nice! I chose Beijing as my first

Ohhh cool! I think if we all get through we do two weeks in Beijing if I'm right :'D
Oh also forgot to mention I got an email for a video interview today : D If someone hasn't received one I wouldn't worry too much as they said they don't send them all out at once! (especially if you've applied for a country that isn't China)
Reply 10
Original post by vhirei
Oh also forgot to mention I got an email for a video interview today : D If someone hasn't received one I wouldn't worry too much as they said they don't send them all out at once! (especially if you've applied for a country that isn't China)

I’ve received an email today as well! Good luck with yours 😊
I’ve received an email today as well! Good luck with yours 😊

Awww I'm glad! Thank you, you too! c: We can update each other after hahah
Reply 12
Anyone applied for Spain??

I checked the portal today and it says 'waitlisted' - I don't know if thats a good or bad thing!!
I have a GCSE in Spanish which I put on my application but I don't remember anything other than 'hola' lol. Quite nervous about whether they'll ask me to do an interview..
I've gone for France - not heard anything from them but my application portal says shortlisted under my name - no idea what that means either! I've no A level in french nor university studies on it (i did politics), so am v nervous about having to do an interview!
Original post by BCSAPP
Anyone applied for Spain??

I checked the portal today and it says 'waitlisted' - I don't know if thats a good or bad thing!!
I have a GCSE in Spanish which I put on my application but I don't remember anything other than 'hola' lol. Quite nervous about whether they'll ask me to do an interview..
I applied for Chile. Got an email to do a video interview on Monday so I'm going to complete it this afternoon. Fingers crossed!
Reply 15
Yeah me too!! I’ve read forums from previous years and most people said that if you get waitlisted and don’t receive an email within that week, it usually means you don’t need to do an interview - really hoping that’s true!!

This lengthy timescale is making me so nervous 😂
Original post by dominicstannard
I've gone for France - not heard anything from them but my application portal says shortlisted under my name - no idea what that means either! I've no A level in french nor university studies on it (i did politics), so am v nervous about having to do an interview!
Hey guys ,

I had my video interview with China today , was so nervous I ran out of time on Q1 , but I guess that what nervous do. Although I am kind out worried now . Does anyone know if I are not successful with the video interview can they offer us our second choice or do we re apply new year?
Reply 17
Original post by AA48583829200202
Hey guys ,

I had my video interview with China today , was so nervous I ran out of time on Q1 , but I guess that what nervous do. Although I am kind out worried now . Does anyone know if I are not successful with the video interview can they offer us our second choice or do we re apply new year?

I done mine and was definitely not prepared, I found it to be a bit weird 😂🙈 I think they may offer you your second choice, depending on availability! Best of luck
Yes it was weird , thank you , I am quite excited hopefully we get a place . I mean I think they just want to see you can speak English and are aware of the culture difference . Where did you apply within China ? :smile:
I done mine and was definitely not prepared, I found it to be a bit weird 😂🙈 I think they may offer you your second choice, depending on availability! Best of luck
Just saw this thread! I'm a postgrad applying for Switzerland. My application is currently on "Shortlisted". It's my second time wanting to teach with the BC but not consecutively. Anyone else's application on this status? I checked my application from 2015/16 and when it changed to "Shortlisted", I got an email that I had passed the British Council requirements but not this time with the application to Switzerland. I'm a bit worried as my application is not the conventional "I want to be a teacher" application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending