The Student Room Group

Chances

Genuinely interested in my chances at a training contract at at MC/good city firm, such conflicting information around about what is or is not important so will list all of my history. Seen some even saying parents education is considered although this is blatantly illegal and certainly based on conjecture lol.

GCSE:
6B 2C (predicted straight A, top set for everything; however, didn't care at the time, no ambition or aims in life and family stresses)

A Level:
Sociology(A*) Psychology(A) English Language(A)

Degree:
University of Bath, Social Policy BSc - First year average:68%

Experience:
Gap year in offshore finance - Private client specifically (11 months work)
Placement in offshore legal firm (3 months)
Pro bono volunteer at local citizens advice bureau (3 months)
Internship in tax and audit at Ernst and Young (2 week)

Looking to do a vac scheme in London next round of applications.

Just looking to see my chances at getting an interview for a TC, at which stage the rest is on me personally which is obvious as clearly getting a TC is not purely based on a page of A4.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by throwaway14
Genuinely interested in my chances at a training contract at at MC/good city firm, such conflicting information around about what is or is not important so will list all of my history. Seen some even saying parents education is considered although this is blatantly illegal and certainly based on conjecture lol.

GCSE:
6B 2C (predicted straight A, top set for everything; however, didn't care at the time, no ambition or aims in life and family stresses)

A Level:

Degree:

Experience:

Just looking to see my chances at getting an interview for a TC, at which stage the rest is on me personally which is obvious as clearly getting a TC is not purely based on a page of A4.

Sounds like a brilliant CV to me...
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Sounds like a brilliant CV to me...

OK, thank you.
OK, thank you.

How's second year coming for you?

I'm kind of achieving but kind of middling at a 64%
Still up from a miserable 55% in first year...

And still hope for this semester.
Reply 4
Okay cool, so will be applying for a TC in 3rd year as I'm non-law, and try for a vac scheme in year 2?

Or apply for both a vac scheme and a TC in year 2?
Reply 5
How's second year coming for you?

I'm kind of achieving but kind of middling at a 64%
Still up from a miserable 55% in first year...

And still hope for this semester.

This is hypothetical, I'm in semester 2 of year 1, and grades are thus far. The placement will be completed before year 2.

64% is good and year 1 is not too relevant from what I can ascertain. Just try really hard to pull average up to a high 2.1 (67+) or a first. Final year will be important.

GCSE:

A Level:

Degree:

Experience:

If I am honest your chances of getting MC are poor. These TC are highly sought after and the number has fallen and number of applicants has risen. Obviously try but 've prepared for disappointment. Your best bet is to get a job as a paralegal and then hope for a TC on the back of that. My husband's firm promote their paralegals.
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If I am honest your chances of getting MC are poor. These TC are highly sought after and the number has fallen and number of applicants has risen. Obviously try but 've prepared for disappointment. Your best bet is to get a job as a paralegal and then hope for a TC on the back of that. My husband's firm promote their paralegals.

It's blindingly obvious that its competitive and no matter your credentials it will be, but I am asking if I am in with a shot, not just at a MC but a great city firm i.e. silver.

I am in year 1 still, so what do you suggest or should I just give up hope in your opinion?
Couldn't you just do a conversion course.....and then succeed on that and surely be handed a TC? Though I'll admit law isn't my area of expertise, do know someone who could give you some informed guidance....

@Notoriety
This is hypothetical, I'm in semester 2 of year 1, and grades are thus far. The placement will be completed before year 2.

64% is good and year 1 is not too relevant from what I can ascertain. Just try really hard to pull average up to a high 2.1 (67+) or a first. Final year will be important.
Great leaders are dealers of hope.......

Couldn't you just do a conversion course.....and then succeed on that and surely be handed a TC? Though I'll admit law isn't my area of expertise, do know someone who could give you some informed guidance....

@Notoriety

I will have to do a conversion irrespective. Re paying, I could but I don't want to get into debt without guarantee of a place. Would rather get a funded GDL and LPC with a less elite firm than pay out of pocket for the certificates with just a chance of a TC.
Great leaders are dealers of hope.......

Yeah well I am being realistic.
My husband is a solicitor with a London firm. I watched my niece try and fail miserably to get a TC. My husband is a mentor to trainees
It's blindingly obvious that its competitive and no matter your credentials it will be, but I am asking if I am in with a shot, not just at a MC but a great city firm i.e. silver.

I am in year 1 still, so what do you suggest or should I just give up hope in your opinion?

No I am not suggesting you give up. But it will n e difficult. However forewarned is forearmed.
I'd be helpful, but I am not in the mood.

I'll give one tip: squeaky above has routinely been refuted by the people who know what they're talking about. Don't get too caught up in the "my husband is a lawyer" lark.
Original post by Notoriety
I'd be helpful, but I am not in the mood.

I'll give one tip: squeaky above has routinely been refuted by the people who know what they're talking about. Don't get too caught up in the "my husband is a lawyer" lark.

Not sure how to respond.

Could you PM me if you feel in the mood within the next couple of weeks, and yeah a quick scan of the post history revealed that they're ill informed.

Cheers.
No I am not suggesting you give up. But it will n e difficult. However forewarned is forearmed.

Okay well thank you I guess for your extremely generic and demonstrably obvious advice, you're right, law is competitive.
My husband is a solicitor with a London firm. I watched my niece try and fail miserably to get a TC. My husband is a mentor to trainees

What firm out of interest?
What firm out of interest?

You know i cannot tell you that!
You know i cannot tell you that!

How convenient

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending