The Student Room Group

PhD Applicants 2019

Scroll to see replies

Original post by donutaud15
Really silly question but how long do people wait until they are contacted? Deadline was today and in the advert it says 'It is anticipate that interviews will be held on Tuesday 19th March 2019' however I was told over the phone it'll probably be a month at least before any contact from the university. I'm confused.

I sent my application on 1st February, and I didn't get an interview invitation until 4th March. Other people who applied to the same DTP heard a few days before me, as the weekend got in the way.

As it only says 'anticipated' and not for certain, I wouldn't hold my breath about their proposed date.
Had my interview this morning, and found out I've been nominated for the studentship this afternoon. :blushing:

Just got to wait for the final decision to be made by the DTP, I think I'll hear that some time in April.
Congratulations!!
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Had my interview this morning, and found out I've been nominated for the studentship this afternoon. :blushing:

Just got to wait for the final decision to be made by the DTP, I think I'll hear that some time in April.
How fantastic ! Huge congratulations- what was the interview like ? How did you find it ?
Original post by googin1
Congratulations!!
Fantastic, well done

Original post by discogirl
How fantastic ! Huge congratulations- what was the interview like ? How did you find it ?

I had to do a 5-minute presentation on my proposed project, and then I had 25 minutes of questions, some general and some specific to my project. It was over Skype as the university is 6 hours away from me, and luckily there were no technological issues!

It was quite intense and I was desperate to make sure I remembered to say everything that I wanted to, but it obviously turned out alright in the end!
After an interview earlier this week, I have been offered a place at a Russell Group University to do my PhD. It's a self funded place.

I'm applying for scholarships elsewhere,(they are very limited in my field) to give myself some options, but does anyone have any thoughts on self funding? I love the uni, the supervisors are awesome, and it felt like home when I was there, it's just the funding. I'm wondering if it's just jump in and work it out as you go along? Or is self funding just a ridiculous notion?
There are people who are going to tell you that you are mad to self-fund. Personally I think it depends on your circumstances. I am going to self fund, and I’m ok with that. I will do some part time work to supplement my income and will focus on the PhD without having to teach (I’m a teacher at the moment so relish the thought of not teaching for a while).

I have had people say SF will affect my future career options, but then I think not doing the PhD will affect them more. I’m going for it and will work the details out as I go along.

So I guess the question is, can you jump in? Do you have enough financial support to get going, while you look for money elsewhere? Or can you wait, and hopefully get a funded place in the future.
After an interview earlier this week, I have been offered a place at a Russell Group University to do my PhD. It's a self funded place.

I'm applying for scholarships elsewhere,(they are very limited in my field) to give myself some options, but does anyone have any thoughts on self funding? I love the uni, the supervisors are awesome, and it felt like home when I was there, it's just the funding. I'm wondering if it's just jump in and work it out as you go along? Or is self funding just a ridiculous notion?
Yes you make very good points. Most of the PhD candidates in the department are self funded. It's certainly not rare and I am assured it makes no difference to career prospects or how you are treated while you do the research. ( I am sure a lot of these stories are just scaremongering).
I can certainly lecture while I do it, as I lecture already, so I know I could earn to an extent. I'm sure there are lots of little pots of funding out there too, which could be found with a bit of digging.
It's an interesting dilemma.

I am really glad you've found a way to get going. It's inspiring to read.
Original post by Lmort003
There are people who are going to tell you that you are mad to self-fund. Personally I think it depends on your circumstances. I am going to self fund, and I’m ok with that. I will do some part time work to supplement my income and will focus on the PhD without having to teach (I’m a teacher at the moment so relish the thought of not teaching for a while).

I have had people say SF will affect my future career options, but then I think not doing the PhD will affect them more. I’m going for it and will work the details out as I go along.

So I guess the question is, can you jump in? Do you have enough financial support to get going, while you look for money elsewhere? Or can you wait, and hopefully get a funded place in the future.

I've heard of people contacting charities and non-profit organisations for small funds for their PhD (maximum a few hundred £). If you are doing a project that would be of interest to specific groups/charities/organisations, it might be worth getting in touch with them to see if they can offer you anything. Every little helps, and quite a few little contributions can add up to a healthy amount with perseverance.
Original post by marinade
I think it's easy to overanalyse it, I don't have experience of applying for funding bodies being offered a PhD and then waiting on the funding body.

One of the issues I had was the central admissions v departmental. As sometimes I'm sat in an office with an administrator and the last month there have been a lot of comings and going between professors, readers, senior lecturers and about a dozen people on MScs talking a lot about their PhD process and waiting and offers, within one of my departments I 'understand' things a bit more. I understand the 're-arranged' interview I had is somewhat more normal than I had thought. I now understand that each of the staff have more recent/distant past with particular funding bodies so the answers they will give students can be different or 'I don't know' when they know a bit, but that'd be unhelpful to say otherwise. Or they have to keep their views quiet as they think the candidate is fantastic but they've had fantastic candidates knocked back by the funding bodies before.

It's genuinely really difficult to get the people in the room at the same time and it seems to give them time to prepare, so I wouldn't read too much into it just like I did. In universities there's also seems to be the process of 'back up' candidates for jobs and PhDs. If they have to re-advertise it's catastrophic and people really, really do drop out/get offered multiple PhDs and then occasionally not tell people oh I'm accepting the other one for a while (which wastes time). So sometimes the backup candidate it kept in the dark for a while (say a week).

If you don't hear anything by thursday night on Friday I'd send a polite e-mail enquiring about whether there are interviews next week. If the interviews don't happen next week I wouldn't worry that much, I'd be contacting again last few days of March as it's starting to get awfully close to Easter.

One of the things you probably want to think about is if you're offered it or when they ask how long you want to decide. Some people will want to bump you into it straight away. I told them a week, which I stuck to and it seems normal to say a few days a week. The academics do genuinely for reasons already stated worry like mad about the top candidate dropping out.

I had re-arrange, re-arrange, delay, delay, problems with dept admissions, problems with central admissions - off you go!

I sent my application on 1st February, and I didn't get an interview invitation until 4th March. Other people who applied to the same DTP heard a few days before me, as the weekend got in the way.

As it only says 'anticipated' and not for certain, I wouldn't hold my breath about their proposed date.

I sent off the polite email and got this response: Dr .... said they are shortlisting today, and that you will hear from her tomorrow.

I guess I'll know soon enough if I have to start thinking about self funding.
I sent off the polite email and got this response: Dr .... said they are shortlisting today, and that you will hear from her tomorrow.

I guess I'll know soon enough if I have to start thinking about self funding.

It's good that they won't make you wait for a response, otherwise it's very annoying being in limbo.

Let us know how you get on!
It's good that they won't make you wait for a response, otherwise it's very annoying being in limbo.

Is it bad that I can't concentrate at work since I keep on checking my email?
Refresh refresh refresh

The only down-side of being told you'll hear sometime today is that you obsess about it all day until you hear! Completely understandable though!

Shortlisted and have a Skype interview on Tuesday.

omg just realized I don't know what to expect!!
Reply 76

Very best of luck. I remember the wait well. Seemed like a lifetime!
Reply 77
Original post by Lmort003

Self funding is not a negative, but some funding awards are traditionally seen as a boon (you still need to be a good candidate on top of that, funding might give a slight edge but no more than that). Don't worry. You will be fine!
Shortlisted and have a Skype interview on Tuesday.

omg just realized I don't know what to expect!!

Whey! That's great news! Do you need to do anything for the interview or is it just a Q&A deal?
Whey! That's great news! Do you need to do anything for the interview or is it just a Q&A deal?

They didn't say much beyond asking for my Skype address.

Typical really I got the email just as I was closing up so couldn't reply immediately 😆

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending