The Student Room Group

How to gain weight?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Ohh I see. I think you should try to understand why you want to be more muscular.

If it's because of pressure as a man, maybe you should reconsider?

Nah, iv just always loved that muscular look tbh
plus I wanna get stronger than my friend :wink:
That's just how we stay motivated haha
I'm guessing you used a TDEE estimator ?

Eat 3000 calories everyday and work out. Don't eat less on rest days, unless you can make up for it the next day.

It'll take longer to see progress if you're only going to the gym twice a week, but you'll still progress.
You're not going to get an accurate maintenance caloric intake from taking an online survey, you'll have to work it out by monitoring your weight over time. I'd say if you're trying to put on mass then you stay roughly 100/150 calories above your threshold, I would assume that if you want to keep gaining then you would keep on eating during your rest days, there is plenty of guidance as to what value of macro's you should be taking in to gain mass. Usual rule of thumb would be 1.1-1.2g of protein per lb of weight that you are looking to achieve in the end, so in your position around 190g of protein to gain muscle and then work out the rest of your macros.

Edit: If you are actually serious about getting bigger 2 days a week is not gonna cut it.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by NotNotBatman
I'm guessing you used a TDEE estimator ?

Eat 3000 calories everyday and work out. Don't eat less on rest days, unless you can make up for it the next day.

It'll take longer to see progress if you're only going to the gym twice a week, but you'll still progress.

That's that answer I was looking for lmao, thanks!

I most probably did use that, can't remember.
As many people say hitting a muscle group twice a week is effective, what kind of split would you recommend? Or what do you do if you go?
I want to go more after exams ya see
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by dontrevise
You're not going to get an accurate maintenance caloric intake from taking an online survey, you'll have to work it out by monitoring your weight over time. I'd say if you're trying to put on mass then you stay roughly 100/150 calories above your threshold, I would assume that if you want to keep gaining then you would keep on eating during your rest days, there is plenty of guidance as to what value of macro's you should be taking in to gain mass. Usual rule of thumb would be 1.1-1.2g of protein per lb of weight that you are looking to achieve in the end, so in your position around 190g of protein to gain muscle and then work out the rest of your macros.

Edit: If you are actually serious about getting bigger 2 days a week is not gonna cut it.

How many days would you suggest? What kind of split?
Original post by kurro
How many days would you suggest? What kind of split?

Depends, I used to go almost everyday giving certain groups only a rest when i was training others. Some people prefer to do a pull/push split which you could take 1 break between and go 4 times a week, but I recommend taking breaks in the long run it will help for sure.

I would do Chest and Triceps one day, the next I would do Back and Bicep's, Third day would be Legs and Shoulders and would just recycle that over and over.

I do really recommend sticking to your diet though if you do want to get stronger, I experienced this myself when I started and ate properly i could easily 8 rep 120kg on chest but now that I don't follow any diet I struggle on a few reps on 110kg, so as long as you have a good diet base and educate yourself through other peoples experiences you should gain confidence yourself and figure out what works for you. Simply put try everything and see what works for you.
Original post by dontrevise
Depends, I used to go almost everyday giving certain groups only a rest when i was training others. Some people prefer to do a pull/push split which you could take 1 break between and go 4 times a week, but I recommend taking breaks in the long run it will help for sure.

I would do Chest and Triceps one day, the next I would do Back and Bicep's, Third day would be Legs and Shoulders and would just recycle that over and over.

I do really recommend sticking to your diet though if you do want to get stronger, I experienced this myself when I started and ate properly i could easily 8 rep 120kg on chest but now that I don't follow any diet I struggle on a few reps on 110kg, so as long as you have a good diet base and educate yourself through other peoples experiences you should gain confidence yourself and figure out what works for you. Simply put try everything and see what works for you.

Thanks so much for the advice and tips bro!
Original post by kurro
That's that answer I was looking for lmao, thanks!

I most probably did use that, can't remember.
As many people say hitting a muscle group twice a week is effective, what kind of split would you recommend? Or what do you do if you go?
I want to go more after exams ya see

I am by no means an expert, but I gained quite a bit in a short time doing a 6 day Push pull legs split. I never got bored of it.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I am by no means an expert, but I gained quite a bit in a short time doing a 6 day Push pull legs split. I never got bored of it.

Thanks!
I think I will try that first :smile:
Well good luck
You have to add desi ghee in your diet and you will feel better.
2l of full fat milk per day.

Quick Reply