The Student Room Group

Proposed Tuition fee cut risking the numbers of students at Uni?

Saw this posted in the Guardian, “Tution fee cut ‘would force universities to shrink course sizes”

Honestly, I want to be sympathetic to Universities in this case but just simply fail to understand how with fees of £9250 annually (some of the highest in the world) universities are still on the brink, finance-wise.

E.g. “University leaders are alarmed that the £9,250 fee barely covers the costs of classroom-based subjects.”

Surely if fees are cut to the proposed £7500 Uni’s should be able to manage, I mean £9250 is already practically daylight robbery.
Universities have massive costs. Building upkeep, academic staff salaries, research costs, etc, totalling hundreds of millions per year.

Cutting fees would require the government to give universities money for each place. Of course, the government doesn't have unlimited money so they have to put some sort of cap on the number of places for every given year.

Your "ah they should be able to manage" shows no understanding of the world.
Original post by DarthRoar
Universities have massive costs. Building upkeep, academic staff salaries, research costs, etc, totalling hundreds of millions per year.

Cutting fees would require the government to give universities money for each place. Of course, the government doesn't have unlimited money so they have to put some sort of cap on the number of places for every given year.

This.

Also I don’t understand why the (some of the) left wants fees to be reduced or scrapped. Surely the last thing they would want is for the poorer working class to fund rich privileged kids going to uni.
meanwhile Oxford...
Original post by MrAwesomeeee
Saw this posted in the Guardian, “Tution fee cut ‘would force universities to shrink course sizes”

Honestly, I want to be sympathetic to Universities in this case but just simply fail to understand how with fees of £9250 annually (some of the highest in the world) universities are still on the brink, finance-wise.

E.g. “University leaders are alarmed that the £9,250 fee barely covers the costs of classroom-based subjects.”

Surely if fees are cut to the proposed £7500 Uni’s should be able to manage, I mean £9250 is already practically daylight robbery.

Why not teach yourself more about uni finances including where it gets money from and what its expenses are? If fee income were cut to £7500, then they would have to make proportionate savings, which most likely would mean cuts to other parts of their budget.

Nobody forces you to go to uni.
Original post by MrAwesomeeee

It’s worth noting that when the fee rose rapidly part of that deal was a large portion of the new fees was to go on student services like accommodation hence why so many unis have new student accommodation all of a sudden
Here's the TSR article on this story - I have quoted you @MrAwesomeeee and @DarthRoar :smile:

Tuition fee cut 'would force universities to reduce student numbers'

@Decahedron I also quoted what you said in a different thread about tuition fees!
Original post by candokoala
Here's the TSR article on this story - I have quoted you @MrAwesomeeee and @DarthRoar :smile:

Tuition fee cut 'would force universities to reduce student numbers'

@Decahedron I also quoted what you said in a different thread about tuition fees!

I don't remember posting it, but it looks like I was talking sense.
Original post by DarthRoar

Research costs are the real spender for universities, they are using undergraduate fees to fund postgraduate projects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending