The Student Room Group

4 A*s at A Level? A journey to my goal.

Hello, my name is Anna and I have decided to take part in Grow your Grades this year. I already have a blog on which I blog about academia, but I have decided to create this blog to track my A Level journey (I take my A Levels in May/June this year). Yes, I am predicted 4 A*s at A Level, but I cannot achieve this without hard work.

What GCSE grades did I achieve?
9, 8, 7, 7 A*s, 2 As (equivalent to 9 A*s and 3 As, but I was that in between year that had a mixture of both letter and number grades)

What A Levels am I taking?
Maths, further maths, physics, economics

Am I going to university? Where am I going? What am I studying?
I have accepted an unconditional offer from the University of Birmingham to study MSci Mathematics.

Although I have accepted an unconditional offer I am going to strive to achieve the best grades that I can. Throughout Sixth Form, I have experienced setbacks, which include struggles with my mental health and the self-doubt that came with a rejection from the University of Oxford, which is my biggest "failure" so far.

Recently, I have received my mock results, which were not what I was aiming for. This is going to be my journey to (try) achieving 4 A*s at A Level. I am so excited to take you on my adventure.

IMG_0385.JPG
Best of luck! :woo:
My Experience of Success and Failure (inspired by the Wooden Spoon)

Hello my beautiful friends!

Recently I have been listening to a podcast called the Wooden Spoon, which is hosted by four StudyTubers. This main focus of this podcast is discussing academic success and failure and turning failure into something positive. Inspired by this podcast, I have decided to write a blog post about the success and failures that I have experienced during my education.

My biggest success came with my GCSE results. Whilst I was in set 1 for my subjects throughout my schooling, GCSEs provided recognition that I was relatively "clever". At GCSE, I achieved the equivalent of 9 A*s and 3 As, which is not as good as achieving 12 A*s, but my grades where the highest comparatively in my school.

Conversely, my biggest failure was being rejected by the University of Oxford. Throughout secondary school, my dream was to attend the Oxbridge to study mathematics and this dream was further fueled by my achievement at GCSE. The rejection came as a huge knock to me academically because, whilst I realised the extreme competition I was up against, Oxford was my main focus for a long time. However, I eventually changed my attitude towards this rejection to make it into something positive. This rejection provided motivation to work hard and achieve well at A Level, and then thrive at university to "prove Oxford wrong".

So far on the Wooden Spoon, they have discussed rejection, perfectionism and proactivity and productivity. As someone who struggles with academic failure, this podcast has been comforting because I can relate to the hosts and find techniques to reduce my fear of failure. I would recommend that you give it a listen!

Also, please do check out my YouTube channel, on which I will be posting more regularly and using instead of my blog.
Original post by mathsstudygram
My Experience of Success and Failure (inspired by the Wooden Spoon)

Hello my beautiful friends!

Recently I have been listening to a podcast called the Wooden Spoon, which is hosted by four StudyTubers. This main focus of this podcast is discussing academic success and failure and turning failure into something positive. Inspired by this podcast, I have decided to write a blog post about the success and failures that I have experienced during my education.

My biggest success came with my GCSE results. Whilst I was in set 1 for my subjects throughout my schooling, GCSEs provided recognition that I was relatively "clever". At GCSE, I achieved the equivalent of 9 A*s and 3 As, which is not as good as achieving 12 A*s, but my grades where the highest comparatively in my school.

Conversely, my biggest failure was being rejected by the University of Oxford. Throughout secondary school, my dream was to attend the Oxbridge to study mathematics and this dream was further fueled by my achievement at GCSE. The rejection came as a huge knock to me academically because, whilst I realised the extreme competition I was up against, Oxford was my main focus for a long time. However, I eventually changed my attitude towards this rejection to make it into something positive. This rejection provided motivation to work hard and achieve well at A Level, and then thrive at university to "prove Oxford wrong".

So far on the Wooden Spoon, they have discussed rejection, perfectionism and proactivity and productivity. As someone who struggles with academic failure, this podcast has been comforting because I can relate to the hosts and find techniques to reduce my fear of failure. I would recommend that you give it a listen!

Also, please do check out my YouTube channel, on which I will be posting more regularly and using instead of my blog.

Omg yes, Unjaded Jade, Ruby, Jack and, who is the other studytuber?
I should listen to it too, I need all the motivation I can get.
Original post by _pxmudi_

Eve bennet😀
Original post by Ailurophile03
Eve bennet😀

Oh yess... I knew it was her. Did you listen to it?
Eve Cornwell :smile:
Oh yess... I knew it was her. Did you listen to it?

Eve bennet😀

Nah guys it was Eve Cornwell lol
Original post by axolotlaristotle

Oh :thumbsup:
The issue in not having WiFi for 2 weeks. Thank you btw.

Oopps
2 weeks! I must have been so blind sighted by my adoration of Eve Cornwell that I missed that. I mean it’s pretty sad to say but I’m not quite sure the longest I can go without an internet connection haha
Oh :thumbsup:
The issue in not having WiFi for 2 weeks. Thank you btw.
Subscribed! :smile:
Thank you for your support! :biggrin:

Subscribed! :smile:
2 weeks! I must have been so blind sighted by my adoration of Eve Cornwell that I missed that. I mean it’s pretty sad to say but I’m not quite sure the longest I can go without an internet connection haha

:yep: I had data cards but then they don't have much GB so I couldn't watch any videos or stuff.
Original post by mathsstudygram
Thank you for your support! :biggrin:

My pleasure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending