The Student Room Group

Things from your childhood that would baffle younger people of today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MiszShorTea765
Not entirely weird. The new versions got more levels and they have upped the CGI which I am not too particularly satisfied of.

I’ve wanted to play them but I’ve never had time these days.
The decision to invade Iraq.
The selection of Scooch to represent us in Eurovision.
Wow. qurantine signs in neighborhood houses. Being able to target practise in the vacant lot next door. Having to go outside if you wanted to play. Getting paddled in school for screwing up. I could go on and on
Reply 64
using pen and paper to take down notes
i still do it today
my younger cousins all ask me why i even bother buying notebooks and diaries lol
Original post by RogerOxon
Reminds me of being driven down to Spain, with one of us in the (estate car) boot amongst the suitcases. To be fair, cars were complete death traps then - 70 mph (or 100+, cough) was scary with 70s brakes and tyres.

Get you!!!! Posh 😜. Spain and an estate car
I was in a hillman imp going to Filey !
Original post by pearl_rose
Not being able to rewatch something that was on TV so if you missed a part that was it. Or was there a way you could watch it again that I am not aware of?

Watch the repeat later in the week or during the summer.
Buying almost everything from shops. Internet shopping was seen as a bit crazy back in the 1990s and it was assumed that it would never become mainstream. Did you know that 2018 was the first Christmas without Toys R Us since 1984?

Most families got by with just 4 terrestrial TV channels. No satellite, no catch up, no iPlayer, no YouTube.

Kids rushing home from school to watch CBBC and CITV that were on BBC1 and ITV1 respectively.

Regional ITV companies with different idents and sometimes different programmes - Granada, Anglia, Central, Meridian, LWT, HTV, Yorkshire etc.

Local dialling codes. From Leeds you could dial 91 for Bradford instead of 0274; 92 for Harrogate instead of 0423; 97 for Wakefield instead of 0924.

Yellow Pages.

Using a computer that was not connected to the internet.

Paying for things using cheques.

When it was quite normal and acceptable for kids not to have a computer or game console at home but they were weird if they didn't have a bike or a TV. More kids nowadays own a digital device than own a bike and it's quite normal and acceptable for them not to watch broadcast TV.
Original post by nulli tertius
Surely if you needed something fixing you did it yourself with help of Barry Bucknell
👿

http://www.turnipnet.com/whirligig/tv/adults/bucknell/bucknell.htm
Phone codes! I remember our first number was 654. And then it became 2 654. Because the suburb of wakefield had too many phones!
Original post by Arran90
Buying almost everything from shops. Internet shopping was seen as a bit crazy back in the 1990s and it was assumed that it would never become mainstream. Did you know that 2018 was the first Christmas without Toys R Us since 1984?

Most families got by with just 4 terrestrial TV channels. No satellite, no catch up, no iPlayer, no YouTube.

Kids rushing home from school to watch CBBC and CITV that were on BBC1 and ITV1 respectively.

Regional ITV companies with different idents and sometimes different programmes - Granada, Anglia, Central, Meridian, LWT, HTV, Yorkshire etc.

Local dialling codes. From Leeds you could dial 91 for Bradford instead of 0274; 92 for Harrogate instead of 0423; 97 for Wakefield instead of 0924.

Yellow Pages.

Using a computer that was not connected to the internet.

Paying for things using cheques.

When it was quite normal and acceptable for kids not to have a computer or game console at home but they were weird if they didn't have a bike or a TV. More kids nowadays own a digital device than own a bike and it's quite normal and acceptable for them not to watch broadcast TV.
Limewire.
taking knives into school. it was just a normal thing to do. we had a fun game called chicken involving someone throwing a knife between your feet.

happy days

:h:
A "mobile" phone that was the size of a brick.
Original post by Sammylou40
Phone codes! I remember our first number was 654. And then it became 2 654. Because the suburb of wakefield had too many phones!

Having a 3, 4, or 5 figure phone number. There are still a few towns that have 5 figure phone numbers but for a generation used to 11 figure mobile numbers it's almost unbelievable that even in the early 1990s it was possibly to phone a friend, school, etc. with just a 3 figure number.
Flip phones that had the original snake already installed on them. Ugh that game was the best
Having to remember phone numbers, or create paper lists, because only upmarket landline phones had a number memory.
Reply 76
Original post by RogerOxon
Having to wash and dry-up after each meal - dishwashers were very rare.

No microwave ovens. They seemed a bit sci-fiction when they arrived.

Buying a newspaper to search for houses / flats to buy or rent.

All UCAS communication by post.

Tipex - typing correction fluid.

Dish Washers are pointless.
Reply 77
Good TV, nowadays it seems full of crap.
Lol. This was the 70s. Not the 90s 😜
Original post by Arran90
Having a 3, 4, or 5 figure phone number. There are still a few towns that have 5 figure phone numbers but for a generation used to 11 figure mobile numbers it's almost unbelievable that even in the early 1990s it was possibly to phone a friend, school, etc. with just a 3 figure number.
Original post by nexttime
Cars with a choke.

And four-star petrol.

People have already mentioned audiotape, but I'm going to expound on that: I actually broke a teenager once when I told her that we used to record music onto strips of plastic that had been covered in magnetic paint.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest