The Student Room Group

Things from your childhood that would baffle younger people of today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arran90
Having to remember phone numbers, or create paper lists, because only upmarket landline phones had a number memory.

A Filofax was a thing.
Original post by Sammylou40
Lol. This was the 70s. Not the 90s 😜

3 figure phone numbers were on UAX telephone exchanges and some were still in use in rural areas in the early 1990s.

The last electromechanical telephone exchange in Britain was Foula which had 2 figure numbers until July 1995.
eyetoy.jpg

Does anyone remember this? I thought it was the most amazing thing ever when it came out. :redface:
Bravestar and the Bionic 6.
Reply 84
Being slapped really hard by your parents for misbehaving in crowded public places.
Did it stop you misbehaving?
Original post by kkboyk
Being slapped really hard by your parents for misbehaving in crowded public places.
Original post by Bio 7
Good TV, nowadays it seems full of crap.

And music.
Noel Edmonds house party and the ensuing nightmares of Mr Blobby.
Originals. Not remakes!!!
Original post by (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ
And music.
VHS tapes (and the joy of taking the player apart to rescue them when they got stuck)
The handle to wind down car windows by hand
Typing your homework in the old version of WordPad
Reply 90
Original post by Sammylou40
Did it stop you misbehaving?

I never really misbehaved so I wasn't hit, but my siblings were hit all the time and it stopped them.
Game console cartridges.

Film cameras and developing the films at the chemists shop several weeks after taking the photos when the film is all used up.

Cars without central locking.

Send a stamped addressed envelope to...

It's a bit before my time but until the Sunday trading laws were updated in the 1990s it was commonplace for a shop assistant to say "Oh, we can't sell you this, it's a Sunday!" even for items as innocuous as a blank video tape, box of teabags, or a pencil to complete the crossword in the Sunday newspaper.

Morning worship (a televised church service) on ITV every Sunday morning and the Sunday evening 'God slot' with the likes of Highway et al.

Passing your driving test in a car then being automatically awarded a driving licence for a 7.5 tonne lorry complete with an extra trailer (category C1+E).
Meeting up with your friends after school and hanging round in the park for hours, rather than on PS4 or whatever the kids of today are mad about.
Computers that booted up instantly.
commodore pet.jpg

When a footballer got punched on the field of play it was by another footballer

Electric milk floats and having milk delivered to your house every day in glass bottles. They are still around today but quite rare and no longer exist in my locality.
Original post by the bear
taking knives into school. it was just a normal thing to do. we had a fun game called chicken involving someone throwing a knife between your feet.

Likewise. And don't forget all those happy hours of whittling.

I don't think people are trying. My list might include:

An outside toilet (and my friend's had to be dug out by his father every few months, but then he did live in a house outside the village with no electricity and a well for water).

Only two TV channels, both in black and white.

The farthing, the half-crown and the threepenny bit - the latter a coin of real character.

Postal orders.

Being able to fill the car petrol tank for under £1 (mind you, £1 was worth £1 in those days).

Needing a bottle (yes, a bottle) of oil in the car to make sure you could complete the journey.

There was none of this jonny-come-lately Blockbuster nonsense. If you wanted to see a film it had to be at the cinema, and you had to watch the only one that was on that week and, depending on the buses, you probably had to see the second half first, leaving half-way through the next showing - hence the phrase 'this is where we came in'.

The strangest one of all, which I do not understand myself - liberty bodices, on young children of both sexes.
Original post by Good bloke
Likewise. And don't forget all those happy hours of whittling.

I don't think people are trying. My list might include:

An outside toilet (and my friend's had to be dug out by his father every few months, but then he did live in a house outside the village with no electricity and a well for water).

Only two TV channels, both in black and white.

The farthing, the half-crown and the threepenny bit - the latter a coin of real character.

Postal orders.

Being able to fill the car petrol tank for under £1 (mind you, £1 was worth £1 in those days).

Needing a bottle (yes, a bottle) of oil in the car to make sure you could complete the journey.

There was none of this jonny-come-lately Blockbuster nonsense. If you wanted to see a film it had to be at the cinema, and you had to watch the only one that was on that week and, depending on the buses, you probably had to see the second half first, leaving half-way through the next showing - hence the phrase 'this is where we came in'.

The strangest one of all, which I do not understand myself - liberty bodices, on young children of both sexes.

You are old AF.
Original post by Decahedron
You are old AF.

"Approaching middle age" might be a tad more tactful.
Original post by EyestriX
I dont remember what they are called but collecting those 'leaves' (they are brown and don't quite look like leaves at all), split them open to stick them on top of your nose

i probaby make no sense

You mean helicopters! They come from sycamore trees. We used to just throw them in the air and watch them twirl down...
Summer holiday tv

Quick Reply

Latest