The Student Room Group

Surviving my final year

Hey, I'm Jasmine. I've seen so many GYG blogs on here that I've just found so motivating, and so I decided to do one as well to "grow my grades". Also, maybe just to reminisce on certain memories (prepare for lots of pictures) during my final year and to write down my thoughts. Will also be going to law school, so I need to try to find a way to manage my bad habits (i.e procrastination, lack of time management, isolation when stressed etc.)

My ultimate goal at the moment is to pick myself up, maintain discipline and achieve the grades I want (meet my offers most importantly); all whilst attempting to maintain a balance with my interest in athletics amongst other things.

I will be also posting tips in general, all-nighters wise, focus problems, time management, self discipline; hopefully this helps out others that face the same difficulties I do. If you're a younger IB student, feel free to also ask for tips about TOK or my higher levels (over the past two years adopted good techniques that have helped loads) or IB in general.

IB Subjects:

Spoiler

Grades I am aiming for (45/45 is the ultimate goal, but to be realistic):

Spoiler

Other Goals:

Spoiler

Final Goal:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Good luck!
Thank you! :h: Going to need it, hahah.
Original post by Palmyra
Good luck!
Update:
Things I learnt this weekend:
- Watching one Friends episode because "I deserve it" will lead me down a spiral of bad decisions.:colondollar:
- Don't prolong workouts too much (limit to one hour a day)
- I should keep on taking pain killers so that I am not too fatigued from having a flu and overworking
- Meditation breaks have been really beneficial
- TSR is way too addicting: need to block it temporarily for the next weeks
- Studying with friends at cafes is only beneficial when they aren't going to continuously talk about their "drama" (how do these people have the time lmao)
- Yoga helps a lot

Overarching goal of the week to stop wasting time: After today limit TSR to 20 minutes a day (if any) for the next week.
Next week: Go cold turkey (too ambitious of a goal?):erm:

Sunday:
- Finish EE + 3 reflections (3 hours)
- Workout break: Leg day (1 hour)
- Finalise Business (3 hours)
- Finish TOK PPF (20 minutes)
- CAS reflections

Monday:
- Physics IA ( 5 hours)
- Work out break: Go running (45 minutes)
- Math IA (5 hours)

Spoiler

Tuesday:
- Physics IA ( 4 hours)
- Work out break: Upper body (1 hour)
- Math IA (4 hours)

* Note to self: from then on, create a plan for the remaining days of the week.
Jeez, I'm a yr 11 probs going to start an IB next year, really looking forward to it but not sure I can hit the grades that I need whilst also working as hard as I want to at sports.
Original post by midiwombatz
Jeez, I'm a yr 11 probs going to start an IB next year, really looking forward to it but not sure I can hit the grades that I need whilst also working as hard as I want to at sports.

Honestly speaking the IB is quite a rigorous course. Most of my subjects are essay-based so a lot of assignments just keep on piling up and it’s driving me insane. If you want to focus on sports you really need to mange your time and start some things early.

My tip to you would be to start your IAs over the summer and especially your EE. I left most things till last minute which is why I’m facing a lot of stress. Some people I know finished these things early and now have been focusing for months on instead subject-based material along with having a healthy social life, 8 hours of sleep, and focus on their sports (I swear they’re not human).

It’s not impossible you just need the will power. If I could go back in time, I would definitely do what I described above.

Good luck xx if you need help with anything IB related if it’s about history, English, business (my higher levels) or TOK I will happily help.
(edited 5 years ago)
I think I want to turn this thread more into a blog/ journal type of thing for myself so that I can document things, and because I think that would be more suitable since I am using it as my own reference/ reflection point and my overarching goal is improvement.

Things I managed to finish this week (miracle honestly):
- 2 English written tasks
- Extended Essay
- TOK Essay
- History IA

Quite happy with how all my essays turned out yet it is so incredibly annoying that I can only manage to write good things when I am under immense pressure; meaning two hours before a deadline and even sometimes 3 minutes before. Ah, the beauty of adrenaline :rolleyes:

Pending Tasks:
- Business IA (self-imposed deadline: today at 4:00 pm)
- Math IA (self-imposed deadline: today at 8:00 pm)
- Physics IA (// //: Monday)
- English oral (// //: today at 1:00 am -- before someone calls me out on this 'tomorrow at 1:00 am' :P)

Reflection Point:
Yesterday, I ended up going to a cafe with two of my closest friends to finish up working. One thing led to the other and we ended up trying to emulate Australian accents (find attached image) and British accents. At first, when I felt like our focus was slipping away from the tasks at hand I felt really guilty, but just taking a break and having a good laugh after these two weeks was therapeutic. For context: yesterday I could not work at all, and while I have been battling focus problems for weeks, yesterday it just transformed into complete brain fog.

Today, however, I woke up early had a really nice morning workout and am in a much much better mood. Running especially cleared my head a lot. If anyone is reading this and has been having problems focusing, do not underestimate the power of waking up early in the morning and having a nice run, it is simply incredible :love:

While I failed my initial goal of limiting TSR to 20 minutes per day :colondollar: my usage so far hasn't posed much of a problem -- yet at least. I think I should just try to create a good balance and maintain it instead of just going cold turkey.

Goals this week:
- Start the Keto diet to get more toned whilst maintaining my gym routine (started today)
- Finish all tasks (duh)
- Limit TSR to certain hours during the day (I think this would be a good idea to create balance)

If you're still reading this.. why? :lol:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by LegallyJasmine
I think I want to turn this thread more into a blog/ journal type of thing for myself so that I can document things, and because I think that would be more suitable since I am using it as my own reference/ reflection point and my overarching goal is improvement.

Things I managed to finish this week (miracle honestly):
- 2 English written tasks
- Extended Essay
- TOK Essay
- History IA

Quite happy with how all my essays turned out yet it is so incredibly annoying that I can only manage to write good things when I am under immense pressure; meaning two hours before a deadline and even sometimes 3 minutes before. Ah, the beauty of adrenaline :rolleyes:

Pending Tasks:
- Business IA (self-imposed deadline: today at 4:00 pm)
- Math IA (self-imposed deadline: today at 8:00 pm)
- Physics IA (// //: Monday)
- English oral (// //: today at 1:00 am -- before someone calls me out on this 'tomorrow at 1:00 am' :P)

Reflection Point:
Yesterday, I ended up going to a cafe with two of my closest friends to finish up working. One thing led to the other and we ended up trying to emulate Australian accents (find attached image) and British accents. At first, when I felt like our focus was slipping away from the tasks at hand I felt really guilty, but just taking a break and having a good laugh after these two weeks was therapeutic. For context: yesterday I could not work at all, and while I have been battling focus problems for weeks, yesterday it just transformed into complete brain fog.

Today, however, I woke up early had a really nice morning workout and am in a much much better mood. Running especially cleared my head a lot. If anyone is reading this and has been having problems focusing, do not under-estimate the power of waking up early in the morning and having a nice run, it is simply incredible :love:

While I failed my initial goal of limiting TSR to 20 minutes per day :colondollar: my usage so far hasn't posed much of a problem -- yet at least. I think I should just try to create a good balance and maintain it instead of just going cold turkey.

Goals this week:
- Start the Keto diet to get more toned (started today)
- Finish all tasks (duh)
- Limit TSR to certain hours during the day (I think this would be a good idea to create balance)

If you're still reading this.. why? :lol:

How I imagined a Jordanian cafe, won't lie.
Original post by Notoriety
How I imagined a Jordanian cafe, won't lie.

Which part? The overly dark café we went to you mean? Or three girls randomly speaking in an Australian accent in a random café? Hahah
(edited 5 years ago)
Which part? The overly dark café we went to you mean? Or three girls randomly speaking in an Australian accent in a random café? Hahah

Haha, meant the first one. I was expecting Hookah and those little cups of coffee which are clear glass. But yas have money, so cosmopolitan lasses with their MacBooks.
We have a variety. Usually the ones with the hookah and those cups of coffee are for those who do not want to study and just chill. These are examples of the variety you'll see (spot the one we were in).

Will let go of the second thing you said because you said "lasses" :rolleyes:
Original post by Notoriety
Haha, meant the first one. I was expecting Hookah and those little cups of coffee which are clear glass. But yas have money, so cosmopolitan lasses with their MacBooks.
(edited 5 years ago)
This is going to be the longest post I think i'll ever write, hopefully at least.

Reflection point (I need to change these subtitles to something more creative):
I'd have to say that these past two days have been really really difficult, but I learnt so much about myself and I think this would benefit whoever is reading this and has had faced similar 'issues' or even my future self. Tis about to get personal, so if you don''t like that stuff, stop reading. I don't like the taboos surrounding these issues and I think if someone reads this and learns a few things from my experience it could help a lot, as I've realised many people on here face similar issues.

Basically I have been feeling like sh*t motivation wise these past weeks. Everyday it got harder and harder but these past two days I reached an apex to the point where I couldn't think coherently at all and and even felt like I was detached from myself -- I swear I'm not as insane as that description made me sound lmao, I think it is just anxiety. But last night, I felt like I reached my 'lowest point' and had to confront all these emotions and thoughts that I tried to keep avoiding. Having suppressed all my emotions for a while they all just came out and it was basically a sh*t storm, haha.

I think at that point I realised how much our thoughts have the power to control us, idk how to explain this, but it felt like from simple thoughts my whole perception of everything was distorted. Very very thankful that someone on here sent me (after I sent them a random message) gave me a very very very simple tip and at that moment I felt like I was overreacting and that everything was suddenly clear. The problem isn't with my mind (to an extent, haha) or even the arduous conditions I am in right now: it is with my habits. Isolation during exam time or stressful times in general is the absolute worst thing anyone could do (or at least in my experience) to themselves. Not only that, but suppressing emotions (?). The past weeks seem like the emotions were just building up until they reached the climax, and after I have surpassed that point last night suddenly everything is completely clear and exuberant again in my mind.

My mind is clear. My thoughts are clear. My motivation is back. I feel like myself again. :^_^:

TLDR: Never isolate yourself, stop suppressing emotions unless you want to go insane, I am really happy and focused right now and everything is clear again and not to sound like a cringe Tumblr teen but it literally feels like the world is colourful again. Cringe, I know, but I do not know another way to describe this feeling.

Updates:
I was going to skip my mock exam this morning because I am not even exaggerating I did not even open the book to study these past few days. Have not opened one page, no exaggeration. So I was lying on my bed in the morning, looking at the ceiling above me and was imagining the consequences I had to face if I skipped the test and attempted to belittle them in my mind legit to the point where I though about how at least in my funeral in 60 years people would have forgotten by then (no I am not overdramatic, u are) and attempted to remain adamant on not going. I realised I'd rather fail the exams with pride (idk ok).

My friend however called me and talked to me for thirty minutes at 6:00 am in the morning, although she had nothing that day, convincing me to go and just talked some sense back to me. I ended up going and actually did really well? It's the weirdest thing ever considering I did not open my book and made up definitions and business strategies from the top of my mind, but I am not even kidding you right now the things I made up turned out to be true xD. I am so so so grateful to have someone like her in my life, otherwise I would have ate **** for not going, and would have never guessed that I would have done well. I think it was actually my best test up to date, idek how; maybe I should always not study? :lol: It might be because I was really calm and let go of the need to do well and that probably helped my memory and performance or something, who knows.

Random Thoughts:
- Spring is just beautiful. I took a few pictures during my run because I could not resist, it looks so so beautiful right now. (see not a desert :h: *cough* *cough* Notoriety)

- 9 more days to find out!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Forgot to attach the pics:

Screen Shot 2019-03-19 at 5.02.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-19 at 5.01.54 PM.png
This is going to be the longest post I think i'll ever write, hopefully at least.

Reflection point (I need to change these subtitles to something more creative):
I'd have to say that these past two days have been really really difficult, but I learnt so much about myself and I think this would benefit whoever is reading this and has had faced similar 'issues' or even my future self. Tis about to get personal, so if you don''t like that stuff, stop reading. I don't like the taboos surrounding these issues and I think if someone reads this and learns a few things from my experience it could help a lot, as I've realised many people on here face similar issues.

Basically I have been feeling like sh*t motivation wise these past weeks. Everyday it got harder and harder but these past two days I reached an apex to the point where I couldn't think coherently at all and and even felt like I was detached from myself -- I swear I'm not as insane as that description made me sound lmao, I think it is just anxiety. But last night, I felt like I reached my 'lowest point' and had to confront all these emotions and thoughts that I tried to keep avoiding. Having repressed all my emotions for a while they all just came out and it was basically a sh*t storm, haha.

I think at that point I realised how much our thoughts have the power to control us, idk how to explain this, but it felt like from simple thoughts my whole perception of everything was distorted. Very very thankful that someone on here sent me (after I sent them a random message) gave me a very very very simple tip and at that moment I felt like I was overreacting and that everything was suddenly clear. The problem isn't with my mind (to an extent, haha) or even the arduous conditions I am in right now: it is with my habits. Isolation during exam time or stressful times in general is the absolute worst thing anyone could do (or at least in my experience) to themselves. Not only that, but surpassing emotions (?). The past weeks seem like they were just building up until they reached the climax, and after I have surpassed that point last night suddenly everything is completely clear and exuberant again on my mind.

My mind is clear. My thoughts are clear. My motivation is back. I feel like myself again. :^_^:

TLDR: Never isolate yourself, stop suppressing emotions unless you want to go insane, I am really happy and focused right now and everything is clear again and not to sound like a cringe Tumblr teen but it literally feels like there the world is colourful again. Cringe, I know, but I do not know another way to describe this feeling.

Updates:
I was going to skip my mock exam this morning because I am not even exaggerating I did not even open the book to study these past few days. Have not opened one page, no exaggeration. So I was lying on my bed in the morning, looking at the ceiling above me and was imagining the consequences I had to face if I skipped the test and attempted to belittle them in my mind legit to the point where I though about how at least in my funeral in 60 years people would have forgotten by then (no I am not overdramatic, u are) and attempted to remain adamant on not going. I realised I'd rather fail the exams with pride (idk ok).

My friend however called me and talked to me for thirty minutes at 6:00 am in the morning, although she had nothing that day, convincing me to go and just talked some sense back to me. I ended up going and actually did really well? It's the weirdest thing ever considering I did not open my book and made up definitions and business strategies from the top of my mind, but I am not even kidding you right now the things I made up turned out to be true xD. I am so so so grateful to have someone like her in my life, otherwise I would have ate **** for not going, and would have never guessed that I would have done well. I think it was actually my best test up to date, idek how; maybe I should always not study? :lol: It might be because I was really calm and let go of the need to do well and that probably helped my memory and performance or something, who knows.

Random Thoughts:
- Spring is just beautiful. I took a few pictures during my run because I could not resist, it looks so so beautiful right now. (see not a desert :h: Notoriety)

- 9 more days to find out!!
I think at that point I realised how much our thoughts have the power to control us, idk how to explain this, but it felt like from simple thoughts my whole perception of everything was distorted. Very very thankful that someone on here sent me (after I sent them a random message) gave me a very very very simple tip and at that moment I felt like I was overreacting and that everything was suddenly clear. The problem isn't with my mind (to an extent, haha) or even the arduous conditions I am in right now: it is with my habits. Isolation during exam time or stressful times in general is the absolute worst thing anyone could do (or at least in my experience) to themselves. Not only that, but surpassing emotions (?). The past weeks seem like they were just building up until they reached the climax, and after I have surpassed that point last night suddenly everything is completely clear and exuberant again on my mind.

Whoever told you that gave you really solid advice. One might even call it a pearl of wisdom.
Random Thoughts:
Woke up today with no alarms (!!!!), just the sunlight creeping in through the window and the chilly spring breeze and the sounds of the birds chirping. After three consecutive all nighters I appreciate sleep so so so much, so excuse the fairytale description of me waking up :lol:

I am currently sitting on my patio with my friend and I feel really focused and motivated. Find attached the image of me trying to seem hospitable by making coffee and putting it on a nice tray with flowers (spot the real ones) and her subsequently making fun of my attempts xD

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 4.17.02 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-03-22 at 4.16.29 PM.png

Taking an Uber yesterday after my physics exam, the weather was so sunny and calming so I also took a picture of that moment in time. Seems like a very mediocre picture, but at the moment with the weather, the music in the background, and my friend just updating me on things sitting in the passenger seat it felt like a really nice memory. While it is a really simple memory, I'd still like to look back on it if I ever go back to this 'blog' in the following years to reminisce my final year.

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 4.30.23 PM.png

Another photo describing my mentality at the moment (it's a mock exam and the mark isn't going anywhere, which is why I was quite apathetic):

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 4.40.32 PM.png

Things to do today:
- Business IA (finalise: 30 minutes)
- Math IA (finalise: 45 minutes)
- Study History (another all-nighter on the way for this :frown: )
- Workout (1.5 hours)
(edited 5 years ago)
Update: I got into LSE!!!

Now I really need to get my motivation back to make that offer, hahah.

For context: It is my first choice uni and in my mind the chances of me getting in were 0.0001%. Hopefully this is the push I need to get my drive back. :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Update: I got into LSE!!

:woo: congrats :party: :clap2:
Best of luck :hugs:
Thank youuu!!!:hugs::heart::heart:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
:woo: congrats :party: :clap2:
Best of luck :hugs:
Thank youuu!!!:hugs::heart::heart:

No worries :h:
i'll be watching ya GYG best of luck
Update: I got into LSE!!

Well done :smile:

So is that all your 5/5 offers?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending