The Student Room Group

Liverpool or Leeds?

Hello,

I am applying to uni and have filed it down to Liverpool and Leeds (Liverpool John Moore and Leeds Beckett). I recently visited Leeds and loved the place with it's close-nit buildings yet vibrant scene in all aspects. I however haven't visited Liverpool and will unlikely visit it due to it being so far away from South Devon. I have however seen a fair share more of Liverpool due to it's publicity and status in creative cultures.

I have put this in university life as the courses are all equally as pivotal to my career but it is the living aspect I query.

Cheers.
Original post by bchfantasy
Hello,

I am applying to uni and have filed it down to Liverpool and Leeds (Liverpool John Moore and Leeds Beckett). I recently visited Leeds and loved the place with it's close-nit buildings yet vibrant scene in all aspects. I however haven't visited Liverpool and will unlikely visit it due to it being so far away from South Devon. I have however seen a fair share more of Liverpool due to it's publicity and status in creative cultures.

I have put this in university life as the courses are all equally as pivotal to my career but it is the living aspect I query.

Cheers.

Hello!

I personally do not know much about living in Leeds however I definitely do about Liverpool!

Having studied here and then deciding to move to work here I can say my experience has been great. Liverpool has recently been voted by Travelodge's Kindness report as the friendliest city in the UK as you can see here from the Mirror's article. :dancing:

If you are looking at a potential hotspot for creative activities then Liverpool is a great choice once again. Places such as Lark Lane, The Baltic Triangle, Bold Street and the Albert Docks are all spots you'd here about and are worth a quick google search to get an idea of the variety of creative or 'artsy' spots that the city offers for entertainment, viewing or delicious eating. :eating:

For any references to what is going on in the city we have a 'Living in Liverpool' guide which is made up of Student's perspectives on what is interesting within the City. Although this is from our university it will be applicable to all universities based in the Liverpool area like LJMU so it is worth a look!

Hope this helps. :smile:

Patrick :lep:
Reply 2
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed response and personalised help. I have sifted through the pdf and it gives quite the testament to Liverpool. A lovely city that I variably know more about compared to Leeds anyway due to it being more prominent in general. It would be good to get someone from Leeds on here too as it is the less knowledgeable one for me. I didn't know it was the second most filmed city.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello!

I personally do not know much about living in Leeds however I definitely do about Liverpool!

Having studied here and then deciding to move to work here I can say my experience has been great. Liverpool has recently been voted by Travelodge's Kindness report as the friendliest city in the UK as you can see here from the Mirror's article. :dancing:

If you are looking at a potential hotspot for creative activities then Liverpool is a great choice once again. Places such as Lark Lane, The Baltic Triangle, Bold Street and the Albert Docks are all spots you'd here about and are worth a quick google search to get an idea of the variety of creative or 'artsy' spots that the city offers for entertainment, viewing or delicious eating. :eating:

For any references to what is going on in the city we have a 'Living in Liverpool' guide which is made up of Student's perspectives on what is interesting within the City. Although this is from our university it will be applicable to all universities based in the Liverpool area like LJMU so it is worth a look!

Hope this helps. :smile:

Patrick :lep:
I'm from Leeds, originally from here and I am currently doing my masters at Leeds uni. I can answer questions about the city but I know nothing about Beckett. Do you have any questions?
Reply 4
Hello, that would be good please. I am just trying to get my bearings really. I am unsure of the specific career route I want but i know it is within communication and potentially PR. I am just tossed up between Leeds and Liverpool as they are relatively similar, Liverpool seems bigger and it's a more creative scene whereby Leeds holds a more financial and practical atmosphere with creative highlights. Do you know of employability rates in either or both cities? I have googled round but I cannot find anything concrete. Bits and bobs but it all seems questionable. I am trying to get an overall picture of both cities in the vein of living there as a student and more than likely afterwards as I come from plymouth and the work does not reside down here.

Cheers.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm from Leeds, originally from here and I am currently doing my masters at Leeds uni. I can answer questions about the city but I know nothing about Beckett. Do you have any questions?
Hello,

Thank you for your detailed response and personalised help. I have sifted through the pdf and it gives quite the testament to Liverpool. A lovely city that I variably know more about compared to Leeds anyway due to it being more prominent in general. It would be good to get someone from Leeds on here too as it is the less knowledgeable one for me. I didn't know it was the second most filmed city.

I'm from Leeds, I would say that its moderately cheap due to it being in the North... Liverpool possibly has a slightly cheaper night out but they are both very good nights out. The actual city area of Leeds has a couple more shopping centres than Liverpool like Trinity, Victoria Quarter, Merrion Centre etc. Leeds Beckett is practically slap bang in the middle of everything, John Moore's slightly more out the way but closer than Uni of... depends where you were to stay. If you cannot decide between them then I would suggest going to the University which has your course ranked highest. Also Leeds is a more direct train route from Devon. In the general table... Liverpool wins but I don't know whether your course might make a difference. Also look at accommodation prices because that can make a big difference.. i know Uni of Liverpool and Leeds have some VERY expensive accommodation like £180+ per week so you should check for JM and LB too
Hello, that would be good please. I am just trying to get my bearings really. I am unsure of the specific career route I want but i know it is within communication and potentially PR. I am just tossed up between Leeds and Liverpool as they are relatively similar, Liverpool seems bigger and it's a more creative scene whereby Leeds holds a more financial and practical atmosphere with creative highlights. Do you know of employability rates in either or both cities? I have googled round but I cannot find anything concrete. Bits and bobs but it all seems questionable. I am trying to get an overall picture of both cities in the vein of living there as a student and more than likely afterwards as I come from plymouth and the work does not reside down here.

Cheers.

I've spent a little time in Liverpool and I would say that Leeds is the bigger city. I agree Liverpool is known as a creative city but in the next few months Channel Four are opening a Leeds based office and just outside of the city centre you have the ITV Yorkshire studios. Look at course content and decide which university you wish to attend because of that, league tables are handy to look at but take them with a pinch of salt. It's best for you to go to a lower ranked university and be happy than go to a higher ranked one and be unhappy with the course.

I personally wouldn't say that Leeds city centre is studenty city but maybe that's just because I am studying here but also from here.Headingley is one of the main student areas in Leeds and has a studenty feel, plenty of restaurants to choose from and it is where the majority of Beckett students live. Most people here are super friendly and we have a lot of things to do; plenty of shops, museums, cinemas, not too far away from the Yorkshire Dales and of course plenty of clubs and bars!

If you have anything else to ask please ask, however I do not know anything about the employment rate in the city, it varies so much by industry etc.
Reply 7
Thank you for both recommendations. I have too decided it purely relies on course and I am just confused in that matter!

I am stuck between LB and LJMU and because they're relatively even keeled, LB is lower but nonetheless students responses to questions on their student experience are a tad better. These similarities make it so hard but the courses do differ significantly. I am going to have to study the courses!

All the best.

Original post by Anonymous
I've spent a little time in Liverpool and I would say that Leeds is the bigger city. I agree Liverpool is known as a creative city but in the next few months Channel Four are opening a Leeds based office and just outside of the city centre you have the ITV Yorkshire studios. Look at course content and decide which university you wish to attend because of that, league tables are handy to look at but take them with a pinch of salt. It's best for you to go to a lower ranked university and be happy than go to a higher ranked one and be unhappy with the course.

I personally wouldn't say that Leeds city centre is studenty city but maybe that's just because I am studying here but also from here.Headingley is one of the main student areas in Leeds and has a studenty feel, plenty of restaurants to choose from and it is where the majority of Beckett students live. Most people here are super friendly and we have a lot of things to do; plenty of shops, museums, cinemas, not too far away from the Yorkshire Dales and of course plenty of clubs and bars!

If you have anything else to ask please ask, however I do not know anything about the employment rate in the city, it varies so much by industry etc.

Quick Reply

Latest