The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Best accommodation in Warwick?

I quite like bluebell however it is too expensive for me.I am quite a quiet person who likes to get an early night.I don't like parties or loud music.I want an en suite bathroom.I am quite worried as for most accommodation you share the kitchen with quite a few students.I will be studying biological sciences so not being too far from the biological sciences buildings would be great and being close to a library would be great also.

Scroll to see replies

Hey

So Biological Sciences is located on the Gibbet Hill campus which is a short walk away from central campus but it's not too far, there are no halls there.
The main library is located in the center of campus, however there is the BioMed grid which is by Biological Sciences.

Bluebell is the nearest en suite, but as you've already said it is very pricey. The next nearest en suite are Jack Martin and Arthur Vick, these do have up to 14 to a kitchen, however I'm currently in Arthur Vick and it's honestly not an issue, there's never more than 8 people in our kitchen at any time and there's plenty of cupboard space, fridge space and cookers etc. Arthur Vick and Jack Martin also have the advantage/disadvantage that you have to move out over Easter, though this makes the yearly rent substantially less.

When you apply for accommodation, they will ask you questions like when you go to bed and how loud/quiet you are, the more honest you are for these the better as they try to put you with people they think you will get along with.

Finally, just a note that you have to put 6 preferences for accommodation and only 3 of these can be en suite, en suites are always oversubscribed but shared bathrooms are not too bad and they are cleaned Mon-Fri so usually they tend to be a good standard of cleanliness.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by JaguarLover101
Hey

So Biological Sciences is located on the Gibbet Hill campus which is a short walk away from central campus but it's not too far, there are no halls there.
The main library is located in the center of campus, however there is the BioMed grid which is by Biological Sciences.

Bluebell is the nearest en suite, but as you've already said it is very pricey. The next nearest en suite are Jack Martin and Arthur Vick, these do have up to 14 to a kitchen, however I'm currently in Arthur Vick and it's honestly not an issue, there's never more than 8 people in our kitchen at any time and there's plenty of cupboard space, fridge space and cookers etc. Arthur Vick and Jack Martin also have the advantage/disadvantage that you have to move out over Easter, though this makes the yearly rent substantially less.

When you apply for accommodation, they will ask you questions like when you go to bed and how loud/quiet you are, the more honest you are for these the better as they try to put you with people they think you will get along with.

Finally, just a note that you have to put 6 preferences for accommodation and only 3 of these can be en suite, en suites are always oversubscribed but shared bathrooms are not too bad and they are cleaned Mon-Fri so usually they tend to be a good standard of cleanliness.

Thank you for your reply.Which accommodations are the most modern?
Reply 3
Hey

6? I read somewhere on the website that you put down 5, a max of 3 of which can be ensuite.
Original post by Anonymous1502
Thank you for your reply.Which accommodations are the most modern?

Arthur Vick was refurbished last year, Bluebell is modern, Sherbourne is also modern but that's quite a trek.

Original post by notdyls
6? I read somewhere on the website that you put down 5, a max of 3 of which can be ensuite.

Changing this year, with the new Cryfield Apartments blocks going up
Arthur Vick was refurbished last year, Bluebell is modern, Sherbourne is also modern but that's quite a trek.

Thank you for your reply.
Reply 6

Thanks for the heads up! Where did you find this info?
Original post by notdyls
Thanks for the heads up! Where did you find this info?

I'm one of the student ambassadors for open days so it's in my briefing notes, it will probably go online once rent prices for 2019/20 are published :smile:
I'm one of the student ambassadors for open days so it's in my briefing notes, it will probably go online once rent prices for 2019/20 are published :smile:

I have a few questions about Warwick if you don't mind as I won't be able to visit Warwick.How modern is the biological sciences building?What are the facilities like?Does Warwick offer lots of support with studies and mental health?Is there an open door policy?
I have a few questions about Warwick if you don't mind as I won't be able to visit Warwick.How modern is the biological sciences building?What are the facilities like?Does Warwick offer lots of support with studies and mental health?Is there an open door policy?

Unfortunately, I'm not too sure on Biological Sciences as I'm a computer scientist, so any Biological Sciences questions may have to either see if someone on here has experience or email the student helpdesk at: [email protected] Support with studies tends to be down to a department, however the library also does "Study skills" sessions which are designed to help people with the skills they need to study. Wellbeing support services deal with mental health and there is a dedicated mental health team within Wellbeing suport: https://warwick.ac.uk/services/mentalhealth I think it is appointment only though.

Do try to visit Warwick, it's a really big choice to make and you really want to know where you want to go before you end up there!

oh ok that would be why I didn't know anything about it lol thanks again though
I am currently in Sherbourne and it is beautiful and good fun. My best mate is in the block next to me and she studies the same subject as you. Due to sherbourne's location she has to leave 30 mins before labs etc. But she sometimes takes the shuttlebus.

I would recommend that you go for Jack Martin, Arthur Vick, Bluebell or lakeside as they are the closest ensuites.

Sharing a kitchen is good as you learn to be social and really experience student life. Try your best to jump into it.
I quite like bluebell however it is too expensive for me.I am quite a quiet person who likes to get an early night.I don't like parties or loud music.I want an en suite bathroom.I am quite worried as for most accommodation you share the kitchen with quite a few students.I will be studying biological sciences so not being too far from the biological sciences buildings would be great and being close to a library would be great also.
Original post by blossomblue
I am currently in Sherbourne and it is beautiful and good fun. My best mate is in the block next to me and she studies the same subject as you. Due to sherbourne's location she has to leave 30 mins before labs etc. But she sometimes takes the shuttlebus.

I would recommend that you go for Jack Martin, Arthur Vick, Bluebell or lakeside as they are the closest ensuites.

Sharing a kitchen is good as you learn to be social and really experience student life. Try your best to jump into it.

Bluebell is too expensive for me.It costs 1000 more per year than Sherbourne.I don't like the fact that you need to move out for Easter in Jack Martin and Arthur Vick.I heard lakeside is really far out.

Can you ask your friend what she makes of the biological sciences course at Warwick it would be much appreciated.What do you make of Warwick the university and its location?
"Really far out" is at most roughly 10-15 mins walking. If you want ensuite, you will have to make do and mend.
Bluebell is too expensive for me.It costs 1000 more per year than Sherbourne.I don't like the fact that you need to move out for Easter in Jack Martin and Arthur Vick.I heard lakeside is really far out.
She is my best mate. She absolutely loves it! She said the course is intense but she is still able to go out and have a social life. She states the labs that they do are really interesting and the teaching quality is great!

I love the university and I am so sad on the train right now as I am going home for easter. I have fallen in love with it and I am so glad I chose here. The teaching is amazing, there are so many new and updates facilities and its clear the university is heavily funded!
I think the location is sublime. I am from Edinburgh and the train is only 4.5 hours from Coventry.

FROM CAMPUS
15 mins to coventru
20 mins to leamington spa
25 mins to warwick town

FROM COVENTRY:
Edinburgh 4.5 hours on the train
London 1 hr on the train
Birmingham 25 mins on train
Birmingham International AIRPORT (good for internationals) 20 mins
The Coventry station sits on a mainline from london euston to Edinburgh train and it is really efficient to get across the country
REALLY GOOD MEGABUS LINKS

Can you ask your friend what she makes of the biological sciences course at Warwick it would be much appreciated.What do you make of Warwick the university and its location?
She is my best mate. She absolutely loves it! She said the course is intense but she is still able to go out and have a social life. She states the labs that they do are really interesting and the teaching quality is great!

I love the university and I am so sad on the train right now as I am going home for easter. I have fallen in love with it and I am so glad I chose here. The teaching is amazing, there are so many new and updates facilities and its clear the university is heavily funded!
I think the location is sublime. I am from Edinburgh and the train is only 4.5 hours from Coventry.

FROM CAMPUS
15 mins to coventru
20 mins to leamington spa
25 mins to warwick town

FROM COVENTRY:
Edinburgh 4.5 hours on the train
London 1 hr on the train
Birmingham 25 mins on train
Birmingham International AIRPORT (good for internationals) 20 mins
The Coventry station sits on a mainline from london euston to Edinburgh train and it is really efficient to get across the country
REALLY GOOD MEGABUS LINKS

Thank you very much for your reply.

Just to comment on moving out at Easter for AV/JM, I had to do this yesterday, you have a cupboard in your room you can store some stuff in and the option to store things in the trunk room, it's not ideal, but it does save you a substantial amount of money and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
Reply 18
Any major difference between AV and JM?
Just to comment on moving out at Easter for AV/JM, I had to do this yesterday, you have a cupboard in your room you can store some stuff in and the option to store things in the trunk room, it's not ideal, but it does save you a substantial amount of money and it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.
Original post by Svesh
Any major difference between AV and JM?

Kitchen mainly, AV has bigger kitchens and a separate communal area within the kitchen, rooms are very similar

AV was also more recently refurbished

Latest